3mph

Re: Build Thread: Performance e-Golf

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:04 am

Made it myself from gloss black vinyl from Michael's. Closer look to show you how it was done: https://flic.kr/p/2jWbrtV

Tons of ways to change the appearance of Astanas. https://flic.kr/p/2jWbw7H

Here's another look I considered (my own crummy photoshopped design but you get the idea).
Attachments
unnamed-2 copy.jpg
unnamed-2 copy.jpg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

3mph

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:20 am

Few more photoshops:

https://flic.kr/p/2kcjnAZ
https://flic.kr/p/2kcjMuG
unnamed-3 copy.jpg
unnamed-3 copy.jpg (46.28 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

cctop

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:08 am

Nice work!

Did you cut the vinyl by hand or create patterns? I'd think it'd be difficult to get the lines visually straight since the hubcab isn't flat.
2019 eGolf SE w/DAP Indium Gray Metallic
2016 eGolf SE Limestone Gray (Lease returned)

3mph

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:06 pm

Thanks! They were cut by hand, but I traced the outline from the backing of the first one multiple times. A cricut and pattern would make your life easier. Lining up the lines wasn't that bad since you can peel and restick, and I used a small cardboard spacer to get spacing right. Overall, the job wasn't that hard to do, although developing the initial design took a few iterations of sketches, and it's tedious to have to repeat each piece 20 times (10 of them mirror images for the other side of the car).

rhdbrnr

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:05 pm

i have a 2020 e-golf and i've been looking at ways to increase performance without killing range (H&R / eibach lowering springs, lighter tires/wheels, etc.).

There's been some talk over the years about reducing the weight of GTI's and Golf R's by replacing the control arms, bearings , uppers, etc. in the front and rear to reduce weight and improve the steering responsiveness of these cars. I haven't seen anything of the sort come up for the e-golf, may be because people aren't leaning towards performance with this car. However, it looks like i've found the correct thread to include this in the discussion.

here's the post for the golf R: vwvortex.com/threads/golf-r-weight-reduction-options.8976713/#post-109381346

Does anyone know anything about the suspension components of the e-golfs, is it stamped steel like the rest of the golf family? Can we upgrade these parts to the aluminum from the passat, CC, or the Audi S3, as has been suggested for the other golfs?

has anyone explored this?

Thoughts?

Thanks

ZeroMoon17

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:07 am

From what I understand the only difference between the e-Golf and a GTI/Golf is the drivetrain. Anything not related to the motor/batteries should be exactly the same.
2016 e-Golf SE
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Plug-In Hybrid

f1geek

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:35 am

I agree a lot of other bits are the same, though I am not sure about the suspension. I bet the e-Golf has different shocks and springs than a GTI. You could easily check by looking for spare parts online for both cars.
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior

cccmanhattan

Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:42 pm

Hi all, long time. Sorry for the lack of updates, been a wild year! So when I started really looking for more performance, I decided I had to ditch the 2016 and move up to a 2019. More battery and slightly bigger motor, why start with the smaller motor if I'm looking to go faster. It's also nice having the full driver aid suite, OBDeleven for more customization and CarPlay.

Anyway, I found my perfect spec a 2019 SEL in Urano grey and got to work.

I brought over the Avanti Storm's, Michelin Pilot Sports and lowering springs from my 2016, but this time got bilstein sport shocks and struts meant for a lowered car. With the stock struts I was just banging off the bump stops too much. With the Bilsteins, I still hit the bump stops if I get caught by a harsh bump, but its massively improved. I also got the full revozport RAZOR 7E aero bits that were developed for the eTrophy race cars. Quality stuff, I opted not to put the rear wing on, but all the rest is on and looking great. Last bit is a set of grey tartan GTD cloth seats, rears are in, but I need to swap some things over on the fronts to get everything to work with the OBDeleven n this car.

I still haven't been able to crack into anything on the drivetrain so all my upgrades are really handling only, but I really do love the car. I've had the good fortune of driving a lot of amazing cars, everything from Shelby Cobras to Mclarens and even the Porsche Taycan and honestly, I look forward to getting behind the wheel of this golf every time I get it in. While it's not sickeningly fast like the higher end EVs, it's quick, instant and handles amazingly. I aslo really appreciate that without hauling around a massive battery pack that I don't have a need for, the car is so much lighter than the rest of the EVs out there which pays massive dividends for effeciency and handling performance. I also run blizzaks on the stock rims in the winter. Driving through four seasons on winter tires in the cold weathe and sticky Michelins in the warm weather I'm acheiving between 3.5 and 4.5 mi/kwh and can regularly get to 115-120 miles of range. While I'm sure there are plenty of people making it to 130-140 miles or more with the stock setup driving conservatively for my purpose the losses are minimal when compared to the performance gains and fun factor.

I've even had some contact with members of the product team at VW. i've pitched the idea of giving me some support crack into the drvetrain and get a bit more performance out of the drivetrain. I'm not sure if anythign can be done with "tuning" at risk of reducing longevity of the motor and battery, but I'll keep pushing the idea and see if I can get anywhere. With a little bump in performance, this car would truly be an electric GTi and if I ever find a way to follow through on my fantasy plan of putting a second drivetrain on the rear axle, I cold have an electric GolfR.

That's all I've got for now, but if I make any progress to crack in the the divetrain I'll be back.

BomBoi

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:36 pm

Perfect setup in my eye cccmanhattan. I plan to go this route as well. this little go kart of a car is just too fun to give up.
17 e-Golf SE Urano Grey
01 Porsche 996TT Speed Yellow

cccmanhattan

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:18 pm

BomBoi wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:36 pm
Perfect setup in my eye cccmanhattan. I plan to go this route as well. this little go kart of a car is just too fun to give up.
Thanks!

Return to “General / Main e-Golf Owners Forum”