2015-6 e-Golf HVAC 72F fix Tech Tip 87-15-02

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a call from VW Customer Care with a TT (tech tip) to address the 20 minute timer before the HVAC defaults to fan on and temp set automatically at next start to 72F.

Let your dealership know about TT 87-15-02 to update your 2015 OR 2016 e-Golf if it has this default feature and you'd like it removed.

Hope this helps more than a few folks out there that find this default fan on feature and temp change feature annoying on your Climatronic HVAC unit.

Edited: to up date that this can also be performed on 2016's

Please copy and print out this worksheet order, line item 2, as a template and hand it in with your request to the service writer who should then hand it to the technician... as it seems Ethan Campbell is one of the few in the VW organization that knows how to get this accomplished on an e-Golf. It's not rocket science. Make a note, that PORT or Window 5 needs to be opened to make the change in the adaptation value.

Screenshot%202016-02-23%20at%207.31.57%20PM_zpsf0pqh44z.png

Edit: As of 3-24-16, this fix is confirmed to work on 2015 and 2016 e-golfs. Complaint MUST include to dealership that temperature does not remain where it it is left set at, that it automatically resets to 72F, and that this is not a desired "feature", it is a major inconvenience and a defective setting.

Print the following out and hand it in to the service writer, make sure he writes all of this down or gives it to the technician
Key words...

"HVAC settings don't remember my last settings when I shut off, I'd like that changed so that it does remember MY last settings"

"Tech tip number 87-15-02"

"OTIS or OASIS"

"Adapatation #5, switching on behavior"

Excellent! Thanks for the TSB number... will have to pay a visit to my friendly dealer...

... BTW does anyone know if there's a TSB for the "radio default to 89.7" trouble? I thought I'd heard some scuttlebutt that it had been fixed...

dublectric said:
Excellent! Thanks for the TSB number... will have to pay a visit to my friendly dealer...

... BTW does anyone know if there's a TSB for the "radio default to 89.7" trouble? I thought I'd heard some scuttlebutt that it had been fixed...

On your infotainment center... press the hard button > Settings > radio icon in the lower left hand side, second from left. From there, a drop down menu appears, pick the station you'd like it to play and press the back page button a few times.

I asked my dealer to apply this change, and they said since it's a customer preference modification, it would cost $105.50.

While I wasn't prepared to pay any amount for this, which I consider a fix of something broken by design, I wanted to know how much cash I'd be able to get rid of, if it was burning it's way out of my wallet. I didn't expect to get that much relief.

As part of the answer, they said that they might be able to include it at no charge along with another HVAC update which really is a fix. We'll see.

jack8trades said:
I asked my dealer to apply this change, and they said since it's a customer preference modification, it would cost $105.50.

While I wasn't prepared to pay any amount for this, which I consider a fix of something broken by design, I wanted to know how much cash I'd be able to get rid of, if it was burning it's way out of my wallet. I didn't expect to get that much relief.

As part of the answer, they said that they might be able to include it at no charge along with another HVAC update which really is a fix. We'll see.

I'd try another dealership. None of my other VW's have this malarky default memory temperature or fan setting. Does the 2016 e-golf have this same "feature", or did they program it out? I'd point out it was a programming error on VW's part, if the same thing doesn't occur on a 2016. Do any other Golf's have this feature?

So I have a 2016 SE. When I go in my car, I always seem to come in with the temp and fan set to 72 degrees.

My wife pointed that out today...I hate it. Reminds me of my X5 (does something similar to that). Ill check to see if they will remove that for me. Thanks.

Yeah, it sucks. In the desert the 72 degrees is useless during the summer and it comes on at night when it's too cold for comfort.
At the very least they could have had it not even come on at night!

Has anyone found anymore information on this? I have a 2016 SEL and the default temperature is always 72 degrees. I want it set a little higher during the winter time. I'm wondering if the TSB update will apply to the 2016 model. Do you know if this a one time fix to a specific temperature or will I be able to change it based on my preference (time of year).

Thanks!

thanks for the info. Will try dealer and have them get rid of that default setting.
They better not charge me. That's a joke, they will hear from me if it's anything other than free.

Default should be OFF!

I tried to have my dealer install this TSB when my car was in for its first service. They wouldn't do it saying they will only do TSBs for things that are broken and once one fix has been applied (I had the heater failure issue) they won't install another one until it breaks again.
Seemed like a ridiculous argument, but I didn't have the time or energy to argue with them about it.

GadgetGav said:
I tried to have my dealer install this TSB when my car was in for its first service. They wouldn't do it saying they will only do TSBs for things that are broken and once one fix has been applied (I had the heater failure issue) they won't install another one until it breaks again.
Seemed like a ridiculous argument, but I didn't have the time or energy to argue with them about it.

Sounds like your HVAC is broken and has a mind of it's own, is possessed by the devil, and doesn't remember the settings you left it on. A loud squeaky wheel does get greased. I have been known to blow up in the customer service area when a service writer is giving me the run around, after trying to be polite, then adjusting them to what my expectations are as a long time loyal VW owner. Don't like to have to go that far, but it's results that count. Don't really care if the service writer hates me after that, the service writers for VW go through a revolving door, they don't seem to stay with VW very long before they are gone, down the road.

Of note, this is not a TSB. It's a tech tip (hence the TT) and the dealer will not be able to charge VW for it like a TSB performed under warranty, so they will either generously offer you free labor or charge you for it. I got the latter but still opted to pay $68 in labor and feel it was worth it to save years of minor annoyance every time I start the car.

The fix was successful and the HVAC system now retains the previous settings when parked more than 20 minutes.

Verkehr said:
Of note, this is not a TSB. It's a tech tip (hence the TT) and the dealer will not be able to charge VW for it like a TSB performed under warranty, so they will either generously offer you free labor or charge you for it. I got the latter but still opted to pay $68 in labor and feel it was worth it to save years of minor annoyance every time I start the car.

The fix was successful and the HVAC system now retains the previous settings when parked more than 20 minutes.
If you are in or around north Orange County, CA sometime, I would, if allowed, attach to your OBD II port, and gladly do a VCDS trouble code /MIL light scan for you with my Ross-Tec troubleshooting software, and be able to compare it to my 2015 SEL scan, and probably be able to get the hexidecimal code I need to possibly make the modifications myself in "Adaptations".

This is sometimes the beauty of VW product, VCDS /RossTech software... you can discover and fix hidden gems yourself instead of depending on VW to do it.

Let me know if you are amiable to this.

The other option is for me to send both files to Ross-Tech and let their gurus spot the hexidecimal change and add it to future versions or Ross-Tech software, for all to use.

kirby said:
Just talked to Sunnyvale Volkswagen and my Sales Advisor said the service department had no record of TT 87-15-02. They don't know what it is at all.

Well, maybe if you get yours fixed, you can look at your paperwork and tell us what the fix actually is, then post it up here. My advice is never talk to a sales manager for service information. Talk to a technician, they actually do the work, and know about it.

JoulesThief said:
kirby said:
Just talked to Sunnyvale Volkswagen and my Sales Advisor said the service department had no record of TT 87-15-02. They don't know what it is at all.

Well, maybe if you get yours fixed, you can look at your paperwork and tell us what the fix actually is, then post it up here. My advice is never talk to a sales manager for service information. Talk to a technician, they actually do the work, and know about it.

Fair enough. I didn't try hard at all. I just emailed service, telling them my problem, that TT 87-15-02 might fix it, and asked if they would install it. They service folks must have looked me up and forwarded me to my sales guy. This shop has been cool with this type of question (asking about TSB, etc) on a previous GTI I owned, so I thought I might get a good answer with very little effort.

That didn't work, I'll try a bit harder and let you all know how it goes.

UPDATE: Sales Advisor called me back a week or so later and told me about the adaptation. See http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=607&p=7268#p7268

Screenshot%202016-02-23%20at%207.31.57%20PM_zpsf0pqh44z.png

Results vary. Seems if you bring it in for something else, like the AC, they might fix it for you, no charge. You need more aggressive technicians or service writers that actually want to work with you. The change is done via adaptation. It can be done. If enough people call up VW Customer Care and complain about it, VW will do something about their terrible default setting, and let the customer chose the option of what the default setting should be on their car.

Have your technician open a VTA and speak to Ethan Campbell. Ethan obviously knows the solution to the problem.

Ethan Campbell got a call from my technician today from Antelope Valley Volkswagen, with the Tech Tip number. The technician was able to apply the adaptations, and I believe my car is now fixed. Make a copy of that picture above, commenting that your HVAC unit is not working as you would like, and you would like it changed to remembering the last setting.

Mine was fixed, went through OTIS (like the elevator company) "adaptation" "port 5" N/C to me, but the VW dealership did ding VW $55 for the charge, under warranty work.

I'm continuing a sub-discussion I had with JoulesThief over at the safety recall/93B4 thread here, so as to not clog up that thread with stuff about the 72F fix.

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:
RonDawg said:
New Century in Glendale. They did the climate control update for free.

And it didn't take. I didn't drive the car once I got home from the dealership Saturday morning until yesterday evening. I recall setting it to 68F when I left the dealership. 30 hours later I get in the car and the temp is....72 F again. :evil:

That's a bummer that it didn't "take" on the Tech Tip. Actually, I was quite surprised the next morning, after mine was done, that it did "take"... I've been very happy ever since. Guess another technician needs to have a go at it for a redo. Maybe on a weekday, it's a quick process, they did mine in 5 minutes, I think, I watched Simon at Antelope Valley VW do it, through the window.

I have been contacted by the service manager at New Century regarding this. Apparently there was a misunderstanding as to what I wanted. I thought the Tech Tip was specific about that, but OK. They are asking me to bring the car back at my convenience and although it only does take a few minutes as Joules said, they're willing to pop for a rental car.

The manager did explain that this Tech Tip is considered a "Personal Setting" no different than the other settings on the car, except that it requires a diagnostic tool to access it, and that it's not normally covered under warranty. However they are willing to do it at their expense.

Back