2015-6 e-Golf HVAC 72F fix Tech Tip 87-15-02

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
I have been contacted by the service manager at New Century regarding this. Apparently there was a misunderstanding as to what I wanted. I thought the Tech Tip was specific about that, but OK. They are asking me to bring the car back at my convenience and although it only does take a few minutes as Joules said, they're willing to pop for a rental car.

The manager did explain that this Tech Tip is considered a "Personal Setting" no different than the other settings on the car, except that it requires a diagnostic tool to access it, and that it's not normally covered under warranty. However they are willing to do it at their expense.
You might want to bring a printout that shows the phone number and the name of the guy they need to contact.

Just in case they didn't really contact him.

On my radio it kept going back because the service tech didn't write down what was wrong, he just 'memorized it' and the tech couldn't find the service guy by the time they got to my car.

RonDawg said:
I'm continuing a sub-discussion I had with JoulesThief over at the safety recall/93B4 thread here, so as to not clog up that thread with stuff about the 72F fix.

RonDawg said:
New Century in Glendale. They did the climate control update for free.

I have been contacted by the service manager at New Century regarding this. Apparently there was a misunderstanding as to what I wanted. I thought the Tech Tip was specific about that, but OK. They are asking me to bring the car back at my convenience and although it only does take a few minutes as Joules said, they're willing to pop for a rental car.

The manager did explain that this Tech Tip is considered a "Personal Setting" no different than the other settings on the car, except that it requires a diagnostic tool to access it, and that it's not normally covered under warranty. However they are willing to do it at their expense.
I signed paperwork that VW kept, billing VWoA a charge of $55, and it was billed as warranty work. If you have problems, ask to speak to Service Writer Shamus at Antelope Valley VW 661 273 2500, and he will get it done for you, no charge, as warranty work. Some dealerships just seem to create their own problems with diagnostics like this via computer and the Motherland back in Germany, using double speak to the consumer, acting like they are doing you a big favor. Nothing could be further from the truth. They just don't know what they are doing.

forbin404 said:
RonDawg said:

You might want to bring a printout that shows the phone number and the name of the guy they need to contact.

On my radio it kept going back because the service tech didn't write down what was wrong, he just 'memorized it' and the tech couldn't find the service guy by the time they got to my car.
What is a "service tech"?

There are Service writers, and there are technicians. One listens to the owners gripes and complaints, writes the complaints and problems down and documents them, the other, the technician, actually fixes the problem, usually with no communication with the owner.

JoulesThief said:
forbin404 said:
RonDawg said:

What is a "service tech"?

There are Service writers, and there are technicians. One listens to the owners gripes and complaints, writes the complaints and problems down and documents them, the other, the technician, actually fixes the problem, usually with no communication with the owner.
oops meant to say service writer. Had a brain fart there.

I have been in contact with the service manager at New Century who is aware of what I wanted and what the tech needs to do, and that the dealership will not bill me for it. Whether they bill VWoA, or just eat the cost as a "goodwill" measure is not my concern.

RonDawg said:
I have been in contact with the service manager at New Century who is aware of what I wanted and what the tech needs to do, and that the dealership will not bill me for it. Whether they bill VWoA, or just eat the cost as a "goodwill" measure is not my concern.

:roll: I guess you don't stand up for what is right and what is wrong.

One day VW is going to hose you, and it will be out of your pocket, if you don't call them on this type of stuff. This is exactly why VW dealerships have earned the name "stealerships". Just saying, if people don't stand their ground, they are going to get steamrolled the next time around.

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:

:roll: I guess you don't stand up for what is right and what is wrong.

One day VW is going to hose you, and it will be out of your pocket, if you don't call them on this type of stuff. This is exactly why VW dealerships have earned the name "stealerships". Just saying, if people don't stand their ground, they are going to get steamrolled the next time around.

New Century already said they're not going to bill me. Why should I care if they bill VWoA for it or not? That's not my battle to fight.

If I return a defective computer to Best Buy, all I care about is that Best Buy either gives me a new, non-defective one, or they refund my money. I could not care less if they eat the cost, or demand a refund from the manufacturer.

JoulesThief said:
I'd try another dealership. None of my other VW's have this malarky default memory temperature or fan setting. Does the 2016 e-golf have this same "feature", or did they program it out? I'd point out it was a programming error on VW's part, if the same thing doesn't occur on a 2016. Do any other Golf's have this feature?

My 2016 e-Golf has this same "feature" too. Every time I start the car, I just hit the off button in the climate controls. Would be great if it was just off by default, or if I were somehow able to set the defaults myself. Anybody else notice that if you just make a quick stop and get back in the car about 15 minutes later, it remembers your latest climate setting instead of going back to auto 72 degrees?

MLS said:
JoulesThief said:
I'd try another dealership. None of my other VW's have this malarky default memory temperature or fan setting. Does the 2016 e-golf have this same "feature", or did they program it out? I'd point out it was a programming error on VW's part, if the same thing doesn't occur on a 2016. Do any other Golf's have this feature?

My 2016 e-Golf has this same "feature" too. Every time I start the car, I just hit the off button in the climate controls. Would be great if it was just off by default, or if I were somehow able to set the defaults myself. Anybody else notice that if you just make a quick stop and get back in the car about 15 minutes later, it remembers your latest climate setting instead of going back to auto 72 degrees?

Yes, 20 minutes seems to be the back to default 72 F timer limit. You can get it fixed, just take it in to the dealership,

JoulesThief said:
MLS said:
JoulesThief said:

Yes, 20 minutes seems to be the back to default 72 F timer limit. You can get it fixed, just take it in to the dealership,
No you can't. MLS has a 2016 and they don't have the fix for that yet.

bizzle said:
forbin404 said:
This doesn't apply to our 2016 SEs?
Nope,
I asked, and was told that the 2015 brain is completely different than the 2016 and the Tech Tip for the 2015 temp fix won't work in the 2016.

forbin404 said:
bizzle said:
forbin404 said:
Nope,
I asked, and was told that the 2015 brain is completely different than the 2016 and the Tech Tip for the 2015 temp fix won't work in the 2016.
My 2016 SE was fixed. Someone is feeding you bad info.

Verkehr said:
forbin404 said:
bizzle said:
Nope,
My 2016 SE was fixed. Someone is feeding you bad info.

And there you have it, dealerships that are clueless, which is why I say, someone, with a 2016, please take a picture of your job ticket to get your 2016 SE fixed for this, and host it somewhere, then post the link to the photo up here, so that the next person can "save" the file, and hand it in to your local dealership, and say, "here, it is doable, call this dealership and learn how to do it."

Yes, a scan would be helpful for those of us with 2016 SEs so we could get them fixed.

Would those of you in this thread that have received bad information that "it can't be done" please edit or delete your posts from this thread? It doesn't help spreading misinformation, just because you and or your dealership weren't persevering or successful in getting the problem fixed. What you can do that would be helpful is leave the name of the dealership that couldn't get the job done, so that your brothers and sisters may avoid those dealerships and punish them through a lack of business due to their laziness, lying, and lack of proficiency. We should take our business elsewhere, to dealerships that CAN fix Vw's problems. Reward success, and punish incompetence in service writers and technicians.

Galpin Volkswagen was one of the dealerships that told me there would be a "fee" involved. My response is that the setting is defective from the factory for the North American market, it is not a "feature" and it feels like a means of extortion for dealerships to pry money out of unsuspecting customers hands, and then "double bill" VW for warranty work also.
Antelope Valley Volkswagen was successful, first attempt, after I handed them a copy of the proper VTA to open, and who, specifically to call on the tech line. Tech line is on central or eastern time, so it behooves us on the west coast to do these attempts and have the car in the shop to work on, as early in the day as possible, due to the time differences, and when the folks on central or east coast time go home from work, and are no longer available to answer questions. with the proper procedures and fixes.

I had my 2015 e-Golf SEL HVAC fix applied by Boardwalk VW in Redwood City, CA. The Service department was GREAT! They gladly performed the update (which worked) as well as the other items I asked about. They were unable to update the 87.7 radio issue but indicated once VW has a fix for my 2015 e-Golf, they would let me know about it and perform it free of charge. Thanks, Boardwalk Volkswagen!

Sorry Joules, but I will not 'edit my post' just because I supposedly have bad information.

I asked the Dealer, he looked up the tech tip and 'contacted' volkswagen for me. If someone can post the exact item they did to fix a 2016 temp fix then I can take it to my dealer, tell them to eat it and fix it.

We also had cases where the dealer has loaded the wrong software (see the thread about Off Road mode) so I'm a bit suspicious that my dealer didn't want to fix it with Volkswagen corporate leaning on them to fix my car.

When and if they come out with a fix I can use, then I can.
In a sense of they didn't want to do it, they have had my car for a total of about 3 weeks while trying to fix my radio stalk issue, so I will assume that during this time, there was no working tech tip for the 2016 as I asked about it at the same time.

forbin404 said:
Sorry Joules, but I will not 'edit my post' just because I supposedly have bad information.

I asked the Dealer, he looked up the tech tip and 'contacted' volkswagen for me. If someone can post the exact item they did to fix a 2016 temp fix then I can take it to my dealer, tell them to eat it and fix it.

We also had cases where the dealer has loaded the wrong software (see the thread about Off Road mode) so I'm a bit suspicious that my dealer didn't want to fix it with Volkswagen corporate leaning on them to fix my car.

When and if they come out with a fix I can use, then I can.
In a sense of they didn't want to do it, they have had my car for a total of about 3 weeks while trying to fix my radio stalk issue, so I will assume that during this time, there was no working tech tip for the 2016 as I asked about it at the same time.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Stubborn, and ignorant, figure it out on your own, then, like I did, since you have a comprehension problem, and you are confusing effort with results, your efforts aren't enough. Someone above flat out told you you got bad information, there's your sign, their 2016 HVAC is fixed, your's isn't. You get to figure out who is BS'ing you. Your credibility is suffering. You add negativity to a post, instead of results, and correct, current information.

Good luck.

Back