What is the current state of the art on delayed charging?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirby

I just picked up a 2016 SEL and I'm looking at EVSE units. My inner-hacker leads me towards an OpenEVSE or a JuiceBox. After reading various threads the first adopters had about delayed charging and car-net problems, I'm not sure what the recommended gear is. What I would really like is to get a unit that works with my car's delayed charging OR the EVSE's timed charging feature. As of now (Dec 2016 w/ 2016 model year car), what are the known good options?

First of all, congrats on your new e-Golf!

I have a JuiceBox 40 Pro plugged in to a NEMA 14-50 outlet I installed in the garage, and a 2015 SEL. Delayed charging works on it. I think it's safe to assume it also works on the 2016 SEL.

JoulesThief said:

I have a JuiceBox 40 Pro plugged in to a NEMA 14-50 outlet I installed in the garage, and a 2015 SEL. Delayed charging works on it. I think it's safe to assume it also works on the 2016 SEL.

Thanks! How about using the timer on the JuiceBox? I've read the older threads and am aware of "car goes to sleep in 2hrs rather than respond when the charger" problem in mid-2015, but I believe there was a post saying that JuiceBox or another brand might have a fix. Is that true?

kirby said:
JoulesThief said:

Thanks! How about using the timer on the JuiceBox? I've read the older threads and am aware of "car goes to sleep in 2hrs rather than respond when the charger" problem in mid-2015, but I believe there was a post saying that JuiceBox or another brand might have a fix. Is that true?

I would contact Juicebox on that... I use the time of departure on my Car-Net app with the JuiceBox 40 Pro, and it works. If you use the app for the 40 PRO, you can set the time that the charging starts, but I don't know if it works if the car goes into "sleep" mode.

Otherwise, I am very happy with my Juicebox 40 Pro. It might also be that a Juicebox 40 or Juicebox 30 both work with Car-Net feature for time of departure time setting of charge.

I believe the 40 Pro has the Arduino computer in it, which is open source, and has gotten a lot of very good reviews. Hackable if you know some C level programming, from what I understand.

One thing for certain, you need to pick which version you run, you can't run both the Car-Net version and the 40 Pro version concurrently, so pick one version and stick with it, or deactivate one and activate the other, but don't run both.

I also have a JuiceBox 40 Pro plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet I installed in the garage, and a 2015 egolf, I can confirm that using the JuiceBox timer does not work, you have to use the car-net timer only. To clarify the JuiceBox timer works fine, just not with with e-golf, I read somewhere that it's an issue in the golf's charger driver software.

Have to say that I love my JuiceBox, works great, why pay more the the other ones that have less features!

I have the GE Wattstation that I've been using to charge my 2015 SEL. I've only had the car about a week but I've been using scheduled charging through the Car Net app successfully. I've had the charger since 2012 when I started leasing a LEAF. It has performed just as advertised.

Currently using the Car Net App with no issues. Soon to be with the Juicebox 40 Pro...Ill report once thats installed.

I'm currently using an OpenEVSE but had to perform a code change in order for it to "wake up" the charging system on a 2015 eGolf. I describe the necessary code change in this thread http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=148 The eGolf will go to sleep as people are reporting, but this is a simple fix to wake it up with a small software change.

Back