2015 Egolf sel charging questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi new to the forum and thanks for the help in advance,
#1 when I plug in charger it has two buttons the regular button and the time button. It always defaults to the time button. It may even change over to the time button after I press the regular charge button (not sure(. Have the car-net app which is cool but not sure if this has something to do with the default always going to time. Thing is I always want it to charge at all times when plugged in. Anyway to set this up on car net so even if the time button is illuminated it will not stop charging until full?
#2 looking for a level 2 compatible charger on eBay does anyone know a decent knockoff brand
#3 is plug share the best charging station finder?

1. It sounds like a timer setting was activated. If no timer setting was activated, or no timer set up at all, the car will always charge immediately and to 100%. Look at the CarNet webpage or smartphone app to see if it was enabled, as that's the only way to do so on 2015 US models (not sure about the 2016's). For US models, you must use a timer setting to get a charge setting of less than 100%.

2. If you don't care about using a timer, any J1772-compatible EVSE will work. If you do want to use a timer, unfortunately only certain ones will work properly with the timer; others will not charge the car when the timer comes on. I'll let others chime in on which ones work with the eGolf's timer, since mine (Clipper Creek) does not.

3. Yes. To reduce screen clutter, you may want to uncheck "Residential stations" if you don't plan on using them. You may also want to uncheck all except "J1772" and "CCS DCFC" since those are the only charging protocols the eGolf will work with here in the US. You can also uncheck things like whether you want to include for-pay charging stations, and those on networks with which you don't have a membership.

johnnylingo said:
Microphone said:
#3 is plug share the best charging station finder?

I would agree overall yes, but would also recommend installing ChargePoint and checking it periodically for areas you frequent. Had a little surprise last week when I stumbled across a large station in the middle of San Jose that wasn't listed on PlugShare:

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/91612

Are you going to go to the location again, turn on your gps right in front of the EVSE, and put a Google Maps pin on the location, next time you are there? Without a pin locator, no one knows it's there on the map.

Back