2015 SEL price

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We can't lease an e-golf as we don't live in one of the states blessed by VW. I've located a 2015 SEL Reflex Silver, 20 miles on the odo for $27597, out the door. So just a bit over 20K after the fed tax credit.

We'll use this just for local driving as we have a 13 Passat TDI as well. Seems like a decent deal, Our AllEarth solar tracker produces enough kwh we can drive for "free". Any comments?

Rsolaregolf said:
We can't lease an e-golf as we don't live in one of the states blessed by VW. I've located a 2015 SEL Reflex Silver, 20 miles on the odo for $27597, out the door. So just a bit over 20K after the fed tax credit.

We'll use this just for local driving as we have a 13 Passat TDI as well. Seems like a decent deal, Our AllEarth solar tracker produces enough kwh we can drive for "free". Any comments?
Is that with 0% interest? If so that would be a smoking deal. Even if you pay 1.9%, that's still a helluva good deal. I'd jump on it. I too, have a 2014 passat TDI SE w/DSG for longer trips. The two really compliment each other, one for urban driving, the other for anything over 40 or 50 miles, one way.

Before you take delivery, ask for the service department to implement Tech Tip TT 87-15-02. and have your technician call, and open a VTA with Ethan Campbell. This will make your HVAC unit behave like in your Passat, instead of automatically turning the fan on and default valuing the temperature to 72F, which a lot of us find annoying. Print this out, and take the guys name and the procedure for the technician, it will make his job, a lot, lot, lot more easy, as so few know how to work on or where to search to get this problem resolved on the E-Golf.

Hadn't asked about financing, if it's more than 0% we'll pay cash. We're test driving it Sunday. It's about 140 miles from our home so I'll have to charge it on the way home. Our closest VW dealer is in VT, 50 miles away and the fellow we bought our 13 Passat TDI from doesn't have an e-golfs on the lot and told me he couldn't match that price anyway but has let us test drive his personal 15 SEL. Nice ride

Rsolaregolf said:
Hadn't asked about financing, if it's more than 0% we'll pay cash. We're test driving it Sunday. It's about 140 miles from our home so I'll have to charge it on the way home. Our closest VW dealer is in VT, 50 miles away and the fellow we bought our 13 Passat TDI from doesn't have an e-golfs on the lot and told me he couldn't match that price anyway but has let us test drive his personal 15 SEL. Nice ride

Big tip... try to plan your trip so you are driving home and keeping your speed around 50 -55 mph on back roads if at all possible. It will increase your range easily to 100 miles on a charge. Dress warmly, and keep the heater and fan off, heat the seat instead if you need warmth. Install Plugshare App on your smart phone, and study the route you are going to plan to take home, and where to recharge. Since you are driving home on a Sunday, pay attention to the public chargers, and that they are open and available to recharge on your drive home... check the hours of operation.

Last suggestion... when your electric recharge icon on yourdash shows you have 20 minutes left to recharge, go to the charger handle, push your keyfob remote "UNLOCK" button twice, a second apart, until the green charger light goes off, and the lock latch unlocks, and then promptly remove the charger handle, roll up the cord, and place the handle back on the charger. Roll the cord up every time, so someone else doesn't drive over it and damage the charging cord. The last 20 minutes are generally excruciatingly slow in charging, add very little mileage/kwh for the amount of time spend recharging. Save that last 20 minutes of recharging for when it doesn't matter, the time. You'll have a 2.5 to 3 hour lay over for that one charge at 80-90 miles.

Make sure that they give you and activate your ChargePoint card BEFORE you leave the dealership. It's a must have to have it activated to get home.

Thanks for the tips JT. We most likely wont be driving the car home this week. If we decide we want it they agreed to hold the car for us with a deposit (TDI cards) until we return from vacation when I will have the $$$ moved to my checking account. By then the wx will be warmer and I figure one charging stop should get me home. There are really no good secondary roads for most of the trip. I figure driving 65mph, the speed limit, should help with the range rather than going 75-85 like most of the traffic around Boston,

just saw something about 0% on their website, we'll know tomorrow. There are level2 charging stations every 20-30 miles on the route home so not going below 20 miles range shouldn't be an issue. A few of the charging stations are with in walking distance of good brewpubs but I'll have to be good and only have one.

I printed out the TT info and will present it to them.

Rsolaregolf said:
just saw something about 0% on their website, we'll know tomorrow. There are level2 charging stations every 20-30 miles on the route home so not going below 20 miles range shouldn't be an issue. A few of the charging stations are with in walking distance of good brewpubs but I'll have to be good and only have one.

I printed out the TT info and will present it to them.

Email it to them, so it can go in for the service, before you show up, but after you put your deposit down.
Colonial VW to about Franconia is my guess? ;-) Marriot by Concorde would be a good midway stop to recharge.

Tell them you want another $1000 off on their ad, for VW owner loyalty, bring the registration for the 2013 passat TDI as proof, and you'll buy it. Don't be afraid to walk away, there's white ones, black ones, all 2015's still available at Boston VW.

Don't push your luck on your first drive in your e-Golf on a long drive, with zero experience in range estimation, and range anxiety. Slow and steady, as the tortoise travels, is highly recommended on your very critical first drive, your first long distance drive. Getting stranded with no charge is a huge time delay. Slow down on the drive, enjoy it, this is a completely different vehicle from a TDI which goes for ever between refills. It's more like a smart phone, forever tethered so you can take it somewhere. It seems counter intuitive, but think about this:

You can drive 70 to 75 mph, and drain that battery completely in just over an hour, then spend 3.5-4 hours recharging, then drain it again. Now you've spent 5 hours driving 75 miles. You can add 23-24 miles of range in an hour.

Option 2: You can drive 55 miles per hour. You get to the charger in an hour and 20 minutes. But you were getting 5.5 miles per kwh, so you used 15 kwh, not 19.5 or 20 kwh at 4 miles per kwh at 75mph. Getting that 5 kwh back will cost you an hour or more at the recharging station. You lost a half an hour going faster, before you end up at home. The range is even more noticeable and recharge time going 50 mph versus 55.

Yes, it seems counter intuitive, but that's just the way it is on long distance trips, without quick charging, and sitting at 30 amp 208V level 2 chargers that give 6 kwh, and the battery takes maybe 5.5kwh after losses while recharging. If you could stretch your range to 100 miles on the first recharge, by going slower, 55 mph, then recharge to 50-60% on the needle gauge, about 5/8 full, that would probably be the shortest amount of time for you to get home... and fully recharge once you get home and are not pressed for time.

Remember, your car locks the charge handle on, press the key Fob "unlock" button twice, to get the lock to release... always, so that you can remove the charger handle, roll up the cord, and put it all back away. Leave it in better condition than you found it.

Concord is about half way but if I stop in Manchester I can go to Milly's for 1 oatmeal stout and a walk along the river, about 50 miles from Medford. Stop in Tilton for another shorter free charge, then up to N Woodstock for another oatmeal stout at Woodstock Station where they also have a level 2. From there I can take the back way through Kinsman notch, all nice back roads to Sugar Hill, sounds like a decent trip to me. Once we get home the 110V charging should work fine for us, at least initially.

I understand about going slower saving fuel, be it electrons, gas or diesel. When I drove TT for UPS before retirement if I drove 61/62mph rather than 65 I would save about .2-.3mpg doesn't seem like much but over a 2,000,000 driving career it added up. I also appreciate your through explanation for going faster really doesn't save time when you factor in the extra charging time.

If we decide to buy this car we would pick it up in April after the snow is gone and the temps warmer which should help with the range too.
thanks

So we made a deal today, $27499 out the door including everything and they will meet us half way in Concord NH. 2015 reflex silver SEL. That was as low as they would go so <20K after the federal tax credit. Wish we could have leased but we're good with this deal.

Congrats, hope they will meet you at a charging point of your choice. Welcome to ownership. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised how nice they drive around town. Take a good look at the "Car" screen to see what they got for "miles per kwh" on the battery charge, before taking delivery, BEFORE YOU PLUG YOURSELF IN, or have them take pictures with smart phone of the screens. If it's really crappy, under 4 miles per kwh, you know they drove the car pretty hard and fast, not good for the e-Golf urban crawler, far from what it was designed for. You should not be into the red reserve when you pick it up, that's what, 70 miles? It will show average speed traveled, also... anything over 40 mph average speed is someone hauling ass doing 75 to 80 mph for most of the trip. IMHO, that is an abusive discharge rate on the battery, too much, too fast, generates a lot of heat in the battery, not good for it, long term.

Take lots of pictures, host them at some place like Photobucket, and post the links up here, of your new car.

e-golfnight_zps6rtysbyr.jpg

Below is as sample of battery range that can be done if you keep all the accessories and current suckers off, and drive 50 to 55 mph mostly rural 2 lane roads, without many stop lights.

20151126_133933_zpslpohtmgm.jpg

Thanks again for the input JT. Where we will meet in Concord NH has 2 ChargePoint level2 plugs available. The salesmen, who admitted he wasn't an eGolf expert, will consult with someone at the dealership who is, before driving up to deliver it to us.

Interesting pix of your screen, especially the 39mph average which is exactly what I average with our 07 Mazda 3 when driving locally. The roads you describe are exactly what we will use this car for with some decent hills given we are in the White Mts.

I've driven 2 eGolfs now and really like the ride, perfect for what we'll be using it for. It'll be interesting to see how much of a dent it will make in the surplus our solar tracker is "currently" producing.

We own it now but it's still at the dealer down in MA. We're leaving for BC skiing this week and won't be back until mid April. Will get it soon after we get back. They will do the software recall before we take delivery. Meanwhile our solar tracker keeps banking kwh for us through our utility.

Rsolaregolf said:
We own it now but it's still at the dealer down in MA. We're leaving for BC skiing this week and won't be back until mid April. Will get it soon after we get back. They will do the software recall before we take delivery. Meanwhile our solar tracker keeps banking kwh for us through our utility.

There's now 2 that need to be performed, one brand new NHTSA recall, and the Tech tip for the HVAC unit.

We gave a printout of the tech tip to the salesman when we made the deal and asked it to be done, we'll see when we get the car. I emailed him about the other recall when I heard about it. He is looking into it and will get back to us.

Just heard from Colonial VW. The recall was completed yesterday and they are still looking into the TT.

Rsolaregolf said:
Just heard from Colonial VW. The recall was completed yesterday and they are still looking into the TT.

Please ask them to open a "VRT" and speak to the guy on the phone i mentioned, to ask for him by name. Look it up in the "technical" section.

Just got this from the dealer we bought our e-Golf from,

"Yes the Climate Control TT has been completed. It will now not default to 72 degrees."

We pick it up in a couple weeks, after we get back to the east coast.

Back