80% charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

My eGolf likes to charge to 100% I found a way to only charge to 80%. This only works if you have no tiers like I do in Anaheim.

The car charger is pretty smart. If you set the charging to 80% with a early departure time just unplug it when the 80% is complete.

The car charges to the set point and the charger turns off. Ir resumes charging to 100% so that it is fully charged at the departure time. If it is unplugged it will never get to the 100% state.

I realize this does not work with expensive tiers like from Edison or PGE since you want to fully charge when the rates are cheap. It works for me since I have no tiers and the cost is the same all the time.

There are settings for Minimum Charge Level and Maximum Charge Level. If you set the car for delayed charging, it will immediately charge to the Minimum Level, then stop. When it is time to start charging to finish by your departure time, it will charge to the Maximum Charge Level. You can also set the Maximum Charge Current, if you would like to charge the car slower than the EVSE indicates. These settings are under Manage Charging Locations in the CarNet app. On 2016 cars, you should also be able to set it in the infotainment system.

So, by using the Maximum Charge Level, you can definitely take advantage of Off-Peak or Super-Off-Peak rates. However, I don't use it because the overall range of the e-Golf is relatively low, so I don't want to routinely give up that range.

The Maximum charge level is where I set the 80%. It seems to only work when the departure time is set. Then it charges to 80% and stops. It then calculates the time needed for 100% at departure time.

The whole manual is very poor. I would have never figured out the trip display if not for this forum.

GlennD said:
The Maximum charge level is where I set the 80%. It seems to only work when the departure time is set. Then it charges to 80% and stops. It then calculates the time needed for 100% at departure time.

The whole manual is very poor. I would have never figured out the trip display if not for this forum.

Based on your description of your car's charging behavior, it seems like you have the minimum charging level set to 80% and your maximum set to 100%. miimura correctly described the function of the max and min settings as they relate to delayed charging.

My example:
My minimum charging level is set to 50%, and my maximum charging level is set to 90%.
I have a departure time set for every morning.
If I plug in when I get home in the evening and my charge is below 50%, it will start charging immediately, and stop when it reaches 50%.
Charging then resumes at the time required to bring the battery to 90% by my departure time.

My charger will never bring my battery to 100% unless I tell it to do so manually.

VW's "100%" SOC is a false flag... the battery has a 24.2kw capacity, and most of us are lucky to get 21kwh actual out of the battery. That's about a 15% margin, split it 50% and there's an estimated 92.5% top charge, and a residual safety margin 7.5% approximately, in reserve.

I don't recharge every night. I recharge when my battery shows I have driven 90 to 100 miles at 6.0 miles per kwh or better, and I let the battery charge until complete, unplug, then drive off. Living in temperate So Cal and not using the AC helps alot with adding to my range per recharge. YMMV

How are you getting 6.0 mi/kWh? I've only had mine for 3 weeks, but my best single trip so far has been 5.0 mi/kWh, driving as carefully as I can in B and almost never touching the brake. Total elevation difference of +1' from departure to destination. Entirely city, so never really getting over 40-45mph.

Jeremy1026 said:
How are you getting 6.0 mi/kWh? I've only had mine for 3 weeks, but my best single trip so far has been 5.0 mi/kWh, driving as carefully as I can in B and almost never touching the brake. Total elevation difference of +1' from departure to destination. Entirely city, so never really getting over 40-45mph.
To get 6.0 you need to drive below 35....all the time.

Someone in another thread posted the speeds and what mi/kWh you can expect. The max is 7, but that's plain impossible to hold unless going downhill all the way...(at 20) haha

forbin404 said:
Jeremy1026 said:
To get 6.0 you need to drive below 35....all the time.

Someone in another thread posted the speeds and what mi/kWh you can expect. The max is 7, but that's plain impossible to hold unless going downhill all the way...(at 20) haha

This is false information /\. And I certainly drive faster than 35 mph. Usually 55 mph on the freeway. I drive by anticipating and maximizing my momentum, by driving such that I don't have to slow down or stop for traffic lights, if at all possible. I drive during low traffic times, when everyone else is supposed to be in school or at work. I avoid the "herd" mentality of drivers if at all possible.

I never drive in "B" mode. I only slow down or brake in "B" mode, most of the time, instead of the brake pedal. It takes patience and time to get that kind of miles per kwh. 99.99% of the drivers out there aren't retired, and don't "have it."

20160818_135430_zpslqhiko4h.jpg

I've found that I get higher mi/kWh if I restrict my trips to only be downhill.

By the way, I do not get the screens shown on my 2016. I do notice there is check marks on what is displayed on the center dash. I left them at the enabled defaults.

Back