A potential deal due to Tesla 3?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cachehit

I will be looking for an EV for my commute this month. e-Golf is currently my favorable choice, but Tesla 3 is announced, even though the details are TBD.

I'm not sure whether leasing an only-80-mileage EV car for the next three years. Do you think that the current EV makers could provide a sweet deal given Tesla 3 announcement?

It will be a couple of years minimum before people actually start seeing the Model 3 on the streets. As it stands now, many details about the car aren't even finished, and Elon has been previously overly optimistic about the initial release dates of the Model S and Model X. Plus those who buy all the bells and whistles are going to get priority over someone who wants to stick closer to the $35k base price.

You're more likely to see the Bolt or next-gen Leaf in showrooms before the Model 3. Who knows what else will come down the electric pipeline as well.

If you can live with a car whose range is potentially 50 miles or less per charge, a used Leaf can be had for around the same out of pocket cost as leasing a new one, and you still have a car when you send in the final payment to give to a teenager, use as a "beater" car so your nice one doesn't get all dinged up, etc.

We're also 6 months away from an e-Golf, Soul, and i3 that have 30% more range than the 2016 models. That holds me back much more than anything to do with the Tesla, which the average Joe probably won't see until 2018.

I was still open to a bargain, but am just not seeing them right now thanks to low inventory. The situation has gone from bad to worse thanks to no more Green stickers beginning 2016, which has driven up demand for White sticker cars like the e-Golf.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...nia-carpool-lane-stickers-for-plug-in-hybrids

Plus side? Great deals on the Volt and i3 REx right now.

johnnylingo said:
We're also 6 months away from an e-Golf, Soul, and i3 that have 30% more range than the 2016 models. That holds me back much more than anything to do with the Tesla, which the average Joe probably won't see until 2018.

I was still open to a bargain, but am just not seeing them right now thanks to low inventory. The situation has gone from bad to worse thanks to no more Green stickers beginning 2016, which has driven up demand for White sticker cars like the e-Golf.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...nia-carpool-lane-stickers-for-plug-in-hybrids

No one is going to buy the i3 (Non Rex), don't forget that they added an income requirement for the CA rebates as well as running out of Green Stickers.

johnnylingo said:

What's a great deal on an i3Rex? Rumor has it that 2017 i3Rex will have a larger fuel tank. I still think it looks pretty funky/fugly though.

JoulesThief said:
What's a great deal on an i3Rex? Rumor has it that 2017 i3Rex will have a larger fuel tank. I still think it looks pretty funky/fugly though.

I'm seeing 2015s go for 20% off MSRP. This is likely affecting 2016 prices too, not to mention used 2014s hitting Craiglist at $24-28k.

Not sure about the fuel tank but I imagine they would increase the REx range in proportion to the battery.

Back