Am I the only one that doesn't give a crap about miles/kwh?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanzabar

...or range, for that matter?

I drive my car every day like I'm on an autocross track, safely and within speed limits of course, and it's awesome! I enjoy every minute of driving this car, and the extra benefit is that I don't have the guilt that I would have if I had been burning gas/diesel while doing it. But I'm guessing my style is very much a minority among EV drivers. Anyone else out there that enjoys shredding tires when pulling away from stoplights and making them squeal on corners and highway on-ramps?

My commute consists of several 3-5 mile trips to/from work and kids sporting events around town. I charge anytime I want at work for free, and only rarely at home. My 2016 SE has ~29k miles and I see total battery range on the GOM around 75 miles or so after charging fully.

My wife on the other hand drives her 2019 SE for efficiency and it really shows. In fact she kinda enjoys lording it over me whenever she can. :roll:

Hers:
48366764816_741e811fc1.jpg

Mine:
48366902857_94b562a8ea.jpg

You are not alone Z! :D

I drive this car like I drove my GTI before it. Range? Efficiency? Pffffffft, boring!!!!! :roll:

I'm totally addicted to EVs now, and hopefully won't ever need to go backwards into another ICE. As soon as the Buzz is available I'm replacing my Pacifica with it.

PS - I liked your signature, so I updated mine to be similar

I'm with you. The e-Golf (started with the 2016, now driving a 2017) is the first car I have actually enjoyed driving. The efficiency is already so much better than an ICE car, I feel no need to further increase it. Especially since in my case our solar panels provide about 80% of our electricity needs (plus we pay extra to offset our limited usage with renewables). I feel no obligation to worry about efficiency.

For me, it’s a mix. Sometimes it’s fun to have fun and enjoy the car’s quick acceleration and torque and nimble handling on narrow curvy roads. Sometimes it fun to gamify efficiency a bit and see how well I can do by hypermiling. Last week, I had to charge to 100% for a longer trip (usually only charge to 80%), and the GOM showed 171 miles as I was pulling out of the driveway. I ended up going about 145 miles before charging again with about 10% SOC left (mostly secondary roads).

In any case, I totally agree with the sentiment that it’s the most fun I’ve ever had driving a car, no matter what approach I take with it.

ahh, people who enjoy their car. Getting the warm & fuzzies. Just waiting for a curmudgeon to post some rant about not being efficient. Going to enjoy it while it lasts.

PS, my wife & I are really liking this car.

I love that you can drive it either way.

If I'm just driving it around and don't have any worries about how much battery I need, you best believe I'm driving the car the way I'd drive a GTI. If I want to take a long trip where I need to maximize range, its nice to know that I can go for efficiency and turn it into a mini-game. I don't drive a gas car at all any more, so I love that I can have fun in it, but then when I need it I can also have a different kind of fun and see how far I can make it go.

Verbruggan said:
ahh, people who enjoy their car. Getting the warm & fuzzies. Just waiting for a curmudgeon to post some rant about not being efficient. Going to enjoy it while it lasts.

I pressed the “Ignore” button for said curmudgeon months ago and have enjoyed the board much more since then.

manybees said:
Verbruggan said:

I pressed the “Ignore” button for said curmudgeon months ago and have enjoyed the board much more since then.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So much this! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a 'tweener on this one.

Unless driving long distance (which is almost never, especially now that the BMW 540iT range extender is back on the road). I just drive it the same way I drive any of my cars. Certainly much more sedately in city traffic than I once did in my younger and much crazier days before I grasped that really close to the limit is best reserved for track days, but still with enough verve to enjoy the drive, and I do love to drive the eGolf. (To a fault, the ICE cars don't get exercised enough!) It is sooo fun to drive. My first VW ever (lots of Audis and 3 Porsches but no VWs). Makes me kinda want a Golf R :D

My wife is the primary driver but she also drives it pretty much like an ICE car. We average around mid-4s for kwh/mile and see 90-100 miles on the GOM at full charge this time of year (at 48.5k miles).

msvphoto said:

Unless driving long distance (which is almost never, especially now that the BMW 540iT range extender is back on the road). I just drive it the same way I drive any of my cars. Certainly much more sedately in city traffic than I once did in my younger and much crazier days before I grasped that really close to the limit is best reserved for track days, but still with enough verve to enjoy the drive, and I do love to drive the eGolf. (To a fault, the ICE cars don't get exercised enough!) It is sooo fun to drive. My first VW ever (lots of Audis and 3 Porsches but no VWs). Makes me kinda want a Golf R :D

My wife is the primary driver but she also drives it pretty much like an ICE car. We average around mid-4s for kwh/mile and see 90-100 miles on the GOM at full charge this time of year (at 48.5k miles).

Boy, I hear you on the Golf "R".

The AWD on them really improves the removal of the understeer most FWD vehicles experience, with just a slight additional pressure on the throttle in turns.

But then, it was a purpose built VW Golf with a specific mission, occasional tr ack days from a production car. I really feel, both with price and features, it's a borderline Audi Sport build, with a VW badge.

What I don't appreciate is people on public roads that drive like it's a track day. No one else on public roads agree that it's track day, except the few doing the abuse. Just my personal pet peeve. Doesn't help when I see farmers sheep or goats or dogs getting hit and killed by rally racers on public roads temporarily in use by the racers.

JoulesThief said:
msvphoto said:

Boy, I hear you on the Golf "R".

The AWD on them really improves the removal of the understeer most FWD vehicles experience, with just a slight additional pressure on the throttle in turns.

But then, it was a purpose built VW Golf with a specific mission, occasional tr ack days from a production car. I really feel, both with price and features, it's a borderline Audi Sport build, with a VW badge.

What I don't appreciate is people on public roads that drive like it's a track day. No one else on public roads agree that it's track day, except the few doing the abuse. Just my personal pet peeve. Doesn't help when I see farmers sheep or goats or dogs getting hit and killed by rally racers on public roads temporarily in use by the racers.

Yes, the Golf R is essentially an Audi S3 for all practical purposes so nothing borderline about it. Has more usable room than a S3 as well. I seriously contemplated selling my garage queen to buy one when the BMW 540iT timing chain guides went south in May. Would have looked really good next to the eGolf. Instead I opted to spend 60 hours of my life in June giving the BMW a new lease on life. At least we have our range extender back!

Agreed on track driving belonging on the track. Never know what might pop out in front of you on public roads.

I'm buying an e-Golf exactly because it's fun to drive (and its aesthetics are understated compared to, say, a Bolt's). The one thing I'd caution about very exuberant driving: Where does the worn-off tire rubber and brake lining go? I think it goes to the ocean.

Nemo said:
I'm buying an e-Golf exactly because it's fun to drive (and its aesthetics are understated compared to, say, a Bolt's). The one thing I'd caution about very exuberant driving: Where does the worn-off tire rubber and brake lining go? I think it goes to the ocean.

Indeed. Another nice benefit of the EV; regen brakes and hard eco low rolling resistance tyres mean much lessened particulate emissions through wear too!

Back