Anyone found a stainless brake line kit that works?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schleppy

My only real gripe with the e-Golf is that the brake pedal is a little mushy (my car has 18k on it). Performance is fine, I just want a stiffer pedal. I have put stainless lines on a few of my past cars, and it was a great little upgrade to improve the pedal feel.

Is anyone aware of a front/rear kit that fits the e-Golf? I have to think that any kit that works on the standard Golf (with the electronic parking brake) would work with the e-Golf as well. Or does the e-Golf have odd calipers?

Thanks!

The brakes on the e-Golf feel different than other VWs because the braking system is completely different. Not only does it have blended regenerative braking, but it does not use a conventional vacuum brake booster. It uses the Bosch iBooster electro-mechanical brake booster. I would also argue that if you're using the friction brakes a lot, you're doing it wrong. ;)

I rarely have to use the brakes more than just bringing the car to the final stop. "B" mode takes care of most of the slowing down. When I do, I would prefer a stiffer pedal.

I have no doubt that a lot of the parts are different that drive the brakes/hydraulics, but I would be surprised if they used different lines and calipers. Doesn't seem like the most cost effective way to make a car that shares a common platform...

miimura said:
The brakes on the e-Golf feel different than other VWs because the braking system is completely different. Not only does it have blended regenerative braking, but it does not use a conventional vacuum brake booster. It uses the Bosch iBooster electro-mechanical brake booster. I would also argue that if you're using the friction brakes a lot, you're doing it wrong. ;)

Edit, did some digging in the part diagrams, and it seems that the e-Golf shares the same front brake lines as a 1.8T Golf SEL:
5Q0611701C ; 5QM611701A

...the rear is where it gets different:

e-Golf P/N: 5Q0611775G
Standard golf P/N: 5Q0611775E ; 5QM611775

Interestingly the rear part description says:
"Rear; W/AWD W/LINK SUSPENSION; W/LINK SUSPENSION W/O AWD W/E-GOLF" which makes me think I could use all-track rear brake lines?

The search continues.

miimura said:
The brakes on the e-Golf feel different than other VWs because the braking system is completely different. Not only does it have blended regenerative braking, but it does not use a conventional vacuum brake booster. It uses the Bosch iBooster electro-mechanical brake booster.

In addition to my 2015 eGolf, I also have a 2017 Alltrack, and I don't feel any difference in braking between the two other than I have to use the ones on the Alltrack more (since it lacks regen braking).

RonDawg said:
miimura said:
The brakes on the e-Golf feel different than other VWs because the braking system is completely different. Not only does it have blended regenerative braking, but it does not use a conventional vacuum brake booster. It uses the Bosch iBooster electro-mechanical brake booster.

In addition to my 2015 eGolf, I also have a 2017 Alltrack, and I don't feel any difference in braking between the two other than I have to use the ones on the Alltrack more (since it lacks regen braking).
New models that are available with FCW & AEB likely use the iBooster also as the autonomous emergency braking actuator. I notice that the Alltrack is available with the Driver Assistance Package that provides those safety features.

Back