Buying an "almost" new 2015 E-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJEV

Hello group.

Hope you don’t mind me sharing my E-Golf sales story here. Don’t know of any other place on the “Nets” that would appreciate it more.

Back in the day I put 100K+ on a leased 1997 Honda EV+. By far the best car I have ever driven, until the all knowing Honda crushed it. You can see Hugh Howser standing in front of mine in “Who Killed the Electric Car?” documentary, asking "what happens to this one"… Long story there.
I had been putting off purchasing a new EV. Just couldn’t come to terms with another new car payments with 3 driving teenagers now in the house.

The other day my wife and I had stopped off at a car dealer in Southern California for routine service on her car. She knows how badly I want to get back into an EV and always suggests we stop off at neighboring car dealers to see the latest offerings in EVs. This particular day we stopped by a Volkswagen dealer. I love the Golf style and size and I’m currently driving a 2009 with 172K on it. A perfect size for what I do for a living.
They had 1 new 2015 E-Golf on the lot and as always was just a little north of what I really want to spend on a car. So the wife asked (gotta love her) do you have any used EV’s. He thinks for a minute and says. Yes, I think one just came in…

2015 Limited Edition E-Golf with 1987 miles on it. The original owner leased it and was over taken by “Range Anxiety” so bad that the driver returned it within 2 months of the leased start. So i picked up a fully loaded, still under full warranty, 7.2 kw and even the New car smell for $21,000 out the door. The list price new (2 months and 2000 miles previous) $33,4500. I think I scored here.

The funniest part is, No one in my neighborhood has noticed… it’s exactly the same color and body style as my previous Golf.

Thanks for letting me share my story.

Welcome. Sounds like you got a good deal on the back of the original lessee who probably took a huge hit to his wallet.

As I understand it, as the 2nd owner, you won't qualify for federal and state incentives correct?

Just curious because the previous owner only had it for two months.

If not, anyone know where that 7500 and 2500 wind up?

rwill said:
As I understand it, as the 2nd owner, you won't qualify for federal and state incentives correct?

Just curious because the previous owner only had it for two months.

If not, anyone know where that 7500 and 2500 wind up?
No incentives at all for used cars, at least in California.

VW Credit got the $7,500. If the first lessee got the $2,500 he will have to return 28/30ths of it. However, it usually takes 60 days to get the check, so if he was smart, he would have just returned it uncashed to avoid the hassle.

Assuming a 9% sales tax rate, the $21k OTD price is the equivalent of around $5500 off MSRP, the Federal tax credit, and CA tax rebate. That's a similar discount to the Year End Event that VW was offering on 2015 SEL's starting last summer. I don't know how much off the MSRP of the LE they were discounting at the time.

Regarding tax incentives, yes the OP will not be able to take advantage of them as this is a used car purchase. CA's $2500 rebate goes straight back to the kitty if the original lessee didn't apply for it, and if he or she did would have to refund the pro-rated amount. However if the car has plates, the OP can immediately apply for the HOV stickers if they're not already on the car. If they are on the car, he simply needs to fill out the application form (same as for original stickers).

Back