Car Insurance Coverage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EggGolf said:
I've just removed my 2004 Audi S4 and 2002 Land Rover Freelander from my insurance and added the eGolf.

Mercury insured it with standard comprehensive cover for a little less than $90 per month. I was previously paying $190.

Funny, I am replacing my 2000 Audi S4 with the e-Golf.

But anyways, I have USAA and I believe my rates are around $400 for 6 months. 300/100 with $500 deductible. 3 other cars on there now, F150, 997.2, and the S4. Once I get the S4 prepped, hoping to sell her off and take that off the insurance.

I got insurance for our e-Golf through Geico. No trouble selecting and adding it, but I'm being charged about $100/mo. for 1000 miles/month. Also, I asked Geico about the Hybrid discount and I got a clear reply that Electric Vehicles are NOT eligible for this discount; further, the discount is being discontinued after September 2015 in California.

I dumped GEICO after 50 years. They are no longer the company they used to be, and their non-stop advertising blitz about savings is an outright lie

Ron

Ron, I can't agree with your negative assessment of GEICO. Maybe they are not the cheapest company out there (I'm sure at least esurance will be cheaper), but I got a very similar quote for our cars from Farmers, even when they factored in the 'combo' discount for also having our home insured through them.

In addition to that, Geico claims support and customer service has been outstanding for us. They have paid for every claim without any issues and their customer service reps on the phone have been knowledgeable and courteous. GEICO roadside assistance is really affordable and has bailed us out on a few occasions as well. I also like being to do things like get ID cards, manage policy payments etc. through the app. Based on our experience, I wouldn't switch from Geico even if I found another company that was a little cheaper.

I have NEVER gotten a decent quote from GEICO except for their motorcycle coverage, even before I got my first electric car. They (and Progressive) have always been 50% higher than Allstate, which I had for many years. With all their advertising, I can see why those companies are so expensive.

I had esurance until just a couple of months ago, now I'm with Ameriprise.

Back