Car Stopped Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eg2ff

So, two days ago I plugged in at work and came back 2,5 hours later and only had a 44 mi charge. There was an alternating green and orange light at the charge point on the car. I switched to a new charging station and I just got a solid red light after charging for 1.5 hours. I checked out the manual and it said I needed to take it to a technician. I called a dealership and had to left it overnight. They had initially told me it should be covered by the warranty, but were charging me $160 the following day after updating the J966 charge manager module. They ended up zeroing out the cost, but I was a bit concerned because apparently my bumper to bumper warranty on the 2016 car I just bought three weeks ago had run out on October 17. Note: When I charged over night I woke up with a 114 mile charge when i had only been getting at most 99 previously.

1. Is there a good extended warranty anyone can recommend?
2. Anyone else have this problem with the charging?
3. Will the extra charge stay with this update? What exactly did it change?

Drive more, worry less.

You'll know soon enough what your range is per charge, after a few recharges, with your driving style taken into account, if the range increase is real or not.

They may have changed max level of charge to a new 100% charge rating, thus increasing your range.

The issue just happened again. Has anyone else had this issue? Car at dealership, VW is looking into covering the cost as the warranty expired two weeks prior to the first incident. Feeling kind of bummed right now.

Now that it's colder, you will have to push the handle in more firmly into the charging port, to get the silver colored pin at the top of the charge port connection to lock and engage. It gets dry and or gritty in there. You should also spray some silicone spray on the pin every 2 or 3 months to keep the pin moving freely in and out, to the latch on your charging handle.

Get a spray can of silicone spray, like you would use on door hinges on your home, and give it a spritz and see if the green light now stays on.

These cars aren't completely maintenance free, BTW.

DO NOT SUBSTITUTE WD40 for this ! It attracts dust dirt and grit constantly and will create more problems than it solves.

Well, VW is covering the repairs and a loaner. They have ordered parts, and these are needed to get to the next level of the diagnostic procedure. As of right now they don't know what the problem is. They have to drop the battery when the part comes in on Monday and then they can proceed. Now I am just wondering if I should just return the car under the lemon law.

Back