Dangerous E-Golf Shut Downs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, only 287 miles :(
The question is: Did the shutdown cause the accident, or did the accident cause the shutdown?

I'm surprised it was declared a write-off. The damage doesn't look to be all that bad. The airbags didn't even inflate.

Just had my 2015 e-golf shut off mid-trip for no reason. same type of error message. dealer talked to vw and said it was probably caused by the driver accidently shutting off the car by pressing the start/stop button. But I know i didn't hit the button. The dealer re-set all the error defaults and the car appears to be working finer. I am very concerned there is something more serious going on. The abrupt stopping of the car when it failed was dangerous since I was in traffic and could barely get over to the shoulder in time. not sure what to do at this time. i am considering contacting the nhtsa.

georgejet said:
Just had my 2015 e-golf shut off mid-trip for no reason. same type of error message. dealer talked to vw and said it was probably caused by the driver accidently shutting off the car by pressing the start/stop button. But I know i didn't hit the button. The dealer re-set all the error defaults and the car appears to be working finer. I am very concerned there is something more serious going on. The abrupt stopping of the car when it failed was dangerous since I was in traffic and could barely get over to the shoulder in time. not sure what to do at this time. i am considering contacting the nhtsa.
If you are sure you didn't accidentally hit the Start/Stop button, file a report at the NHTSA site.

Even if these folks are found to be hitting the Start/Stop button, a momentary inadvertent press should NOT be enough to to shut down the car if it's moving along. For many other cars with keyless ignition, IIRC you have to press and hold the Power button for a few seconds, or repeatedly press and release the button a few times, before shutdown mode is activated while in gear. The Leaf will let you shut down while the car is in D or B (and conveniently puts it in Park automatically when you do that) but I believe you have to have your foot firmly on the brake, and the car cannot be in motion, for that to happen.

RonDawg said:
I'm surprised it was declared a write-off. The damage doesn't look to be all that bad. The airbags didn't even inflate.

I think it was because of lack of parts/tools needed to fix it and dealer knows that it will definitely takes more then 30 days just to get all that together to fix.
It will be lemon anyway.

Just my thoughts... And yea, it's bummer, 287 and car is done. In other hand, I had only 50 miles in my old car, second day of ownership and got rear ended, things happen.

Plus, having front damage it's more likely that accident caused and error - otherwise it would be most probably rear-ended.

Please see a recall that may be a solution to this.

http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=802

I just received a formal recall notice from VW regarding the E-Golf shut down issue. I am supposed to bring the car in to the dealer for a repair of this "electrical management" issue. I believe the NTSB finally got a hold of these reported incidents. I know I filed a report with the NTSB.

RonDawg said:
Even if these folks are found to be hitting the Start/Stop button, a momentary inadvertent press should NOT be enough to to shut down the car if it's moving along. For many other cars with keyless ignition, IIRC you have to press and hold the Power button for a few seconds, or repeatedly press and release the button a few times, before shutdown mode is activated while in gear. The Leaf will let you shut down while the car is in D or B (and conveniently puts it in Park automatically when you do that) but I believe you have to have your foot firmly on the brake, and the car cannot be in motion, for that to happen.

Ron you are right on the money here. This is an especially important issue with the 2016 SE because the Mode button is right next to the Start/Stop button: that's two design flaws in one. First, changing Modes ought to be accessible on the steering wheel and not next to the Start/Stop button. If like other drivers, including myself, you change Modes often -- perhaps toggling from Normal to Eco+ as conditions change -- you need a switch that is easy to locate without taking your hands off wheel (also: the car should indicate the current Mode somewhere on the central dash instead of the LCD). Second, since the Mode button is right next to the Start/Stop button, it's pretty obvious that at some point or another drivers will hit the wrong one while in motion: the consequences of this ought not to be that the car stops! VW, please, please offer us a TT to reprogram this behavior.

Well, now this just happened to my 2019 eGolf (after owning it 5 weeks).

I've searched this and other forums and haven't found any other posts that clearly mention this happening to newer (2017+) eGolfs. Am I just supremely unlucky?

ThatAdamGuy said:
Well, now this just happened to my 2019 eGolf (after owning it 5 weeks).

I've searched this and other forums and haven't found any other posts that clearly mention this happening to newer (2017+) eGolfs. Am I just supremely unlucky?

Do you ever set anything near, around or on top of the Start Stop button? Do you ever activate or use the "Eco" or "Eco Plus" mode button, while in motion?

Mode button should only be activated when at a complete stop, more than a few have inadvertently pushed the start stop button by accident, when in motion, driving, causing this problem.

me too, brand new 2019. Happened on day 4 of ownership (~100 miles) and again on day 7 (200+ miles). Both times in driveway just after unplugging in the morning. The first time it started after a few minutes and ran fine until day before yesterday when it happened again in the morning. Drove it Sat night, charged and it occurred Sunday morning. It's Monday and it will be towed to the dealership service dept today—already had an appointment for Tuesday.
Been reading the forums and it seems that the issue of this happening while driving was solved. Can anyone confirm that? Having it happen while parked is an inconvenience but while in motion is quite another. I can't put my child in this vehicle if that's a risk.

Put your child in the back seat, and strap them in with seat belts. Non issue.

Many of the problems you read about here, not all of them, are operator errors from new owners in new to them vehicles that fail to read completely through the Owners Manual that came with their cars, that provide good operating procedures.

In Airplanes, we call them Pilot Operating Handbooks, or POH's for short. As the Pilot in Charge, it's your responsibility to know what is in the POH and where to find what you need, before you need it, so that you are familiar with it.

I hope you have an easy fix. Maybe the moving issue is different than the stationary one? I have 18,000 miles on my 2017 (almost two years of ownership) and never had any issues. Also didn't have any issues with nearly 30,000 miles on my 2015 e-Golf.

Probably a few dozen e-Golf drivers had this problem. Compared to Toyota's latest stalling issue, it has impacted very few people.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/toyota-and-lexus-recall-cars-that-can-stall-abruptly-while-driving-fuel-pump/

Almost 700,000 Toyotas and Lexuses have been recalled because the fuel pump can stop working while driving. Funny, but hybrid vehicles are not included in the recall.

Back