How many days??? Idle without charging!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obtuce

***
Joined
Feb 21, 2018
Messages
8
Hey all,

So, we are planning a family vacation and plan to leace our egolf at the airport without use or charging for 7 full days...

Has anyone done this before? Should i expect a dead battery when i get back to the car??

Any tips would be great. Thanks in advance
 
My understanding is to leave the car around mid charge, but I am not sure. We will be traveling in June and need to leave the car undriven for 5 days or so also so I am curious about this also.

Not sure if we'll drive the e-Golf to the airport. The round trip is on the fringe of range. Not super excited about getting back to the airport on a Friday evening and then having to wait to charge before driving home. Might stop off on the way to the airport parking lot to top up a bit, leave the car around 65-70% and be good to go when we get back from our trip. We could probably make the round trip, but between it being really tight and the car sitting for almost a week I have doubt. Maybe the ICE car would be the better way to go for the airport trip, but either way need to park the e-Golf almost a week.
 
obtuce said:
Should i expect a dead battery when i get back to the car??

I sometimes go several days or a week without driving mine and would estimate the battery is sapped ~1-2% per day.

What I don't know is if CarNet activity will increase that.
 
johnnylingo said:
obtuce said:
Should i expect a dead battery when i get back to the car??

I sometimes go several days or a week without driving mine and would estimate the battery is sapped ~1-2% per day.

What I don't know is if CarNet activity will increase that.

This pretty much matches my experience. I will also note that 2 or 3 times I've fully recharged the battery, and something else came up that required use of my TDI instead of using the e-Golf immediately after fully recharging. An over night or two will show 1 kWh or more that just evaporated out of the battery while sitting there at full charge, waiting to be used. I've seen 5 to 9 miles just vanish and go "poof" on the Guess-O-Meter total range remaining. I currently see 117 to 119 or 120 miles of range remaining if I take off right after a fresh hot 7.2 kWh 2 to 3 hour recharge session. New, I was seeing 129 to 131 miles showing on the guess o meter. Battery has been stable now since last year, in terms of usable kWh the battery will take on a recharge. IMHO, VW knows this, which is why they encourage recharging to a daily departure time.
 
I've left my eGolf in an off-airport parking structure for as long as 3 weeks with no issues. I leave home fully charged, so by the time I get to the airport it's down to about 75%. My return trip is the one that uses the most electricity, another 40-50% as I live in the foothills.
 
JoulesThief said:
This pretty much matches my experience. I will also note that 2 or 3 times I've fully recharged the battery, and something else came up that required use of my TDI instead of using the e-Golf immediately after fully recharging. An over night or two will show 1 kWh or more that just evaporated out of the battery while sitting there at full charge, waiting to be used. I've seen 5 to 9 miles just vanish and go "poof" on the Guess-O-Meter total range remaining.

Was your e-Golf locked prior to experiencing this? If not, try it.

I have experienced that when the car is locked the charge remains steady presumably less standby sleep consumption.
 
NurStrom said:
JoulesThief said:
This pretty much matches my experience. I will also note that 2 or 3 times I've fully recharged the battery, and something else came up that required use of my TDI instead of using the e-Golf immediately after fully recharging. An over night or two will show 1 kWh or more that just evaporated out of the battery while sitting there at full charge, waiting to be used. I've seen 5 to 9 miles just vanish and go "poof" on the Guess-O-Meter total range remaining.

Was your e-Golf locked prior to experiencing this? If not, try it.

I have experienced that when the car is locked the charge remains steady presumably less standby sleep consumption.

Yes, it was locked.
 
Thanks for the replies. I feel confident now letting my baby sot for 7 days and i am happy i dont need to use the beemer to get to the airport haha.
 
Likewise, thank you. Good to know we can leave it sit for a while. Makes sense. They must sit a while in the sales process.

I think because of schedules, we will do the opposite, leave the e-Golf home at around 60-70% charge and drive the bimmer to the airport.
 
we just left our 2015 sel for 25 days at home when we were away. It was still fully charged when we got back, not to worry I'd say. When we got home and plugged it back in it only charged a couple minutes and I left it locked under our carport.
 
Please be sure you don’t have the heat or A/C scheduled in a departure timer.
That’ll zap some serious juice while you’re gone.

Barry
 
Thought I'd post my recent experience with eGolf abandonment. I left my 2019 eGolf for six weeks, sitting in my garage while I was traveling overseas. It was charged to roughly 50%. When I got back it was good to go, as if I'd driven it yesterday. I've been home now for a few weeks, and I haven't noticed any difference in range or any other issues, and it still loves me.
 
JoulesThief said:
right after a fresh hot 7.2 kWh 2 to 3 hour recharge session.
OUCH! don't confuse kW & kWh. You mean to express charge power. Use kW
And for the answer to this main question, I learned from reading the OWNER MANUAL! It states 4 month limit. There's probably a curve that's not linear. So the discharging isn't a constant 1-2% every day.

p.s. I just went to find where it is shown so you don't wonder yourself. It's in the HV battery> -General info on HV battery> Charging for 1st time and charging after long standing periods.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top