Official “what am I doing wrong” charging thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firewired

I’m new to this e-Golf thing. Ran some errands today. Got home with 148km left. Plugged the car in to top it up. It won’t charge

-My juice box says is ready. It works when I plug another EV. There was a 0.6 Amp draw when I was fiddling with the settings so I know my charger is working

-I’ve got the TOU options ticked off

-Tried putting the minimum charge to 90%

What am I doing wrong ? I know it’s something dumb

The official best thing to do is read your owners manual.

Just a basic suggestion... plug your EVSE handle in to charge port "gas fillup" port.

Lock the car door with the keyfob remote.

On the left side of the EVSE charge port are two buttons.

Press the upper button, the one that charges instantly. It should light up.

You should then see a green oscillating light that goes up and down in brightness. That tells you that you are recharging.

Refer back to your owners manual... Read charging instructions 3 times, through completely, while standing next to car, and charge port, and do what the owners manual suggests, while reading how to do it.

I did RTFM. It’s confusing ! But I think I figured it out.

Had a departure time set for tomorrow morning. I’m guessing the battery would top up just before I leave ?

If you have a departure time set for Monday morning at 100% charge, then the battery pack should be fully charged by the time you set.

Yeah ok.

But I just went back to re set the departure time and car never stopped charging ...

I should’ve probably unplugged and re plug the car and see if the bottom light would’ve turned on near the charge port

Firewired said:
I did RTFM. It’s confusing ! But I think I figured it out.

Had a departure time set for tomorrow morning. I’m guessing the battery would top up just before I leave ?

Try this suggestion: Go on Youtube and try to find "How to set time of departure recharge on an E-Golf" and "How to charge up your e-Golf at home."

You'll learn by watching others instead of by reading.

If that doesn't work for you, take it back to the dealership you bought it from and ask them to demonstrate for you all the recharging functions in the owners manual, since the owners manual is so poorly written or worded or diagrammed.

Back