Optimum charging to maximize battery life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Our 2016 SEL is a joy, and we hope to keep it for many years. We charge at home, with a Level 2 EVSE (Clipper Creek 24 amp). What is a good strategy for when to re-charge, if it is not essential to do so? Is it helpful to run the battery down to some level like 50%, or to charge it more frequently? The conventional wisdom for Li-ion batteries is to store them for long periods at 50% of full charge. If the car is not going to be used for several days (or longer) is it better to wait to charge it?

I'm carefully trying to maximize my car's battery life as I own the car and am similarly pleased with it.

The battery website linked below indicates limiting charging to ~3.92v/cell or 60% maximizes pack cycle life with the NMC cathode chemistry like the e-golf uses. Regular use drains my battery only 10% each day so by timed charging daily to 60% it sits at indicated 50% most of the time. I could probably charge to 60% and drain to 40% every other day and halve wear on the charge port but I find it more convenient to just always plug in.

You may find this page as useful as I did:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

That's a great resource. How do you time the charge? Thanks to your suggestion I discovered that there is an option to reduce the maximum charge (Figure 140B on page 272 of the Owner's Manual). That seems ideal as long as I remember to select a different setting when I need more range.

Since you have the 2016 model, charge timers can be set up in "e-manager" accessible through the car menu. You can set up a charge location for x% (in increments of 10%) of battery charge and select that under one of the charge timers.

I've heard the 2015 model requires using the car-net website or app to accomplish this.

Nick said:
Our 2016 SEL is a joy, and we hope to keep it for many years. We charge at home, with a Level 2 EVSE (Clipper Creek 24 amp). What is a good strategy for when to re-charge, if it is not essential to do so? Is it helpful to run the battery down to some level like 50%, or to charge it more frequently? The conventional wisdom for Li-ion batteries is to store them for long periods at 50% of full charge. If the car is not going to be used for several days (or longer) is it better to wait to charge it?

VW canada is selling Flo chargers at the same price offered by the Flo internet store. no shipping costs though , any opinions between the two options , one has connectivity the other is just a straight charger , ?

https://www.vwpartsandservice.ca/p/Volkswagen_2017_e-Golf/FLO-Home-G5-FHG5/69985293/FH1STAG5HY5GFL1.html
https://www.vwpartsandservice.ca/p/Volkswagen_2017_e-golf/FLO-Home-X5-FHX5/69985295/FH1STAX5HY5NFL1.html

being new green etc , will vehicle charger centre act as the connectivity timer limits etc if the G5 is used , or is the X5 required for in lazyboy adjustments of vehicle charging ;-)

Back