Personalized e-Golf License Plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GLX

Did anyone else option out for a Personalized plate for their e-Golf?

I had a few ideas, VOLTZWGN, VLTZWAGN, VLTZWGN, CHRG-ME, VLZTRON, AND BZZZ-VW.

went with: VLTZWGN.

I try to just fly under the radar, and be the gray man. No one cares what I drive, it's just transportation from point A to point B, not a bill board or advertising.

The astute drivers will spot either the C shaped DRL's or see the e-GOLF badge, or notice the white HOV decals we have here in CA.

johnnylingo said:
I leased, so personalized plates (in California) aren't an option. But if I had bought, I'd be "EJOHNNY"
Personalized Plates on a Lease are available. I have them.

However when you are ready to turn them in you need a letter from VW stating that you can remove the plates legally.

forbin404 said:
johnnylingo said:
I leased, so personalized plates (in California) aren't an option. But if I had bought, I'd be "EJOHNNY"
Personalized Plates on a Lease are available. I have them.

However when you are ready to turn them in you need a letter from VW stating that you can remove the plates legally.

You don't need a letter. All you need to do is complete this form https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/6d97bdef-c5b1-46ee-a558-28ab938e4ec3/reg17.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=6d97bdef-c5b1-46ee-a558-28ab938e4ec3 under the section "Reassign/Retain Interest/Release Interest" and take the plates with you when you turn in the car. The form tells the DMV that those plates are no longer assigned to that VIN. When you buy a new car, you can have the personalized plate assigned to the new car right at the dealership (saving a trip to the DMV), though it will take a few weeks for the DMV to print up a registration card for you.

Many used car dealers in California remove the old CA license plates when they sell the car to someone else. My 2006 Audi's original plates were in the trunk when I bought it from Rusnak; I had the option of keeping them (which I did) or getting new ones if I wanted to.

JoulesThief said:
I try to just fly under the radar, and be the gray man. No one cares what I drive, it's just transportation from point A to point B, not a bill board or advertising.

The astute drivers will spot either the C shaped DRL's or see the e-GOLF badge, or notice the white HOV decals we have here in CA.

I care man! I care!

Also, just realized my DRL's are not working but no code coming up on the VAG-COM. Time to troubleshoot, maybe the previous owner disabled them. There is thread around here about that.

RonDawg said:
You don't need a letter. All you need to do is complete this form https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/6d97bdef-c5b1-46ee-a558-28ab938e4ec3/reg17.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=6d97bdef-c5b1-46ee-a558-28ab938e4ec3 under the section "Reassign/Retain Interest/Release Interest" and take the plates with you when you turn in the car. The form tells the DMV that those plates are no longer assigned to that VIN. When you buy a new car, you can have the personalized plate assigned to the new car right at the dealership (saving a trip to the DMV), though it will take a few weeks for the DMV to print up a registration card for you.

Many used car dealers in California remove the old CA license plates when they sell the car to someone else. My 2006 Audi's original plates were in the trunk when I bought it from Rusnak; I had the option of keeping them (which I did) or getting new ones if I wanted to.

Hmmm...I was told by AAA since the Plates are in 'Volkswagen's name' I would need their permission to remove.

My plates do not have my name on them only they say something like 'VW Lessee'.
I remember a few years ago that I had some personal plates that I needed to pull off a leased car and DMV made me get a letter. (That took about a week to get in the mail)

95GLX said:
JoulesThief said:

I care man! I care!

Also, just realized my DRL's are not working but no code coming up on the VAG-COM. Time to troubleshoot, maybe the previous owner disabled them. There is thread around here about that.

Turns out someone disconnected my DRL's and broke the clips in the process. I guess the CPO inspection wasn't too thorough. Plugged them back in and one of them is still out. :x

95GLX said:
95GLX said:
JoulesThief said:

I care man! I care!

Turns out someone disconnected my DRL's and broke the clips in the process. I guess the CPO inspection wasn't too thorough. Plugged them back in and one of them is still out. :x
I think they unplugged both because one was not working. It's less obvious that something is wrong that way.

forbin404 said:
Hmmm...I was told by AAA since the Plates are in 'Volkswagen's name' I would need their permission to remove.

My plates do not have my name on them only they say something like 'VW Lessee'.
I remember a few years ago that I had some personal plates that I needed to pull off a leased car and DMV made me get a letter. (That took about a week to get in the mail)

My car's registration lists VW Credit as the "LSR" (lessor) and me as the "LSE" (lessee). Leaf was the same way, except NMAC was the "LSR."

[/quote]
Turns out someone disconnected my DRL's and broke the clips in the process. I guess the CPO inspection wasn't too thorough. Plugged them back in and one of them is still out. :x[/quote]I think they unplugged both because one was not working. It's less obvious that something is wrong that way.[/quote]

Exactly! Waiting for the dealer and VWOA to call me back so I can light them up about the oh so not thorough CPO inspection. :evil:

Turns out someone disconnected my DRL's and broke the clips in the process. I guess the CPO inspection wasn't too thorough. Plugged them back in and one of them is still out. :x[/quote]I think they unplugged both because one was not working. It's less obvious that something is wrong that way.[/quote]

Exactly! Waiting for the dealer and VWOA to call me back so I can light them up about the oh so not thorough CPO inspection. :evil:[/quote]

CPO is a joke. All it is is lip service and salesmanship, nothing of substance. Any time you buy anything used, it's caveat emptor .

Back