Question about Charge Port Lock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhumroo

Is there a way to disable the charge port from being locked when the charger is plugged in?

I charge my car at home and leave it unlocked in the garage. However, the charge port gets locked when I'm charging and I have to use the keyfob to unlock every time I want to unplug the charger.

I would like to disable the lock if possible. Thanks

No, that's a safety feature for DC FastCharge. Can NOT be disabled.

Check features out on a car, before you buy it.

JoulesThief said:

Again, thank you for your snide comments. Not every used e-Golf buyer has the luxury of checking out every feature before purchasing the vehicle.

Do you get off on being a snob and showing off your moral superiority over others?

VW does not follow the J1772 protocol correctly for AC charging. There is no requirement to lock the AC plug in the vehicle inlet but plug locking is an option for EVSE security or public charge session authorization access - many cars brands do not have locking J1772 inlets.
As for DCFC, locking on the car is also not required per the SAE standard - look at a Hyundai Ioniq and Chevy Spark inlet and you will see no locking solenoid. You will notice the button on an AC J1772 plug is a mechanical lever, while the button on a CCS plug is an electromechanical switch. The electrically actuated lock on the CCS handle ensures the plug can not be removed during a DCFC session.

To answer your question about disabling the e-Golf vehicle inlet lock, there is no option in software to disable this (as provided by BMW on the i3). I agree it is a pain. At least on 2017 and later models, you have 30 seconds to remove the plug before the lock re-engages - on earlier models there was more like a ~5 second lock re-engagment which requires a sort of dance with the remote and the plug.

Jhumroo said:
Again, thank you for your snide comments. Not every used e-Golf buyer has the luxury of checking out every feature before purchasing the vehicle.

Do you get off on being a snob and showing off your moral superiority over others?

By the way, I know this is off topic, but many on this forum have long since discovered a way to set troublesome users here to "ignore" mode. Just go to a user's profile page and click "Add Foe," and with just a couple of clicks, this forum becomes much more enjoyable.

Jhumroo said:
JoulesThief said:

caveat emptor A reasonably intelligent person does their due diligence before buying anything. It has nothing to do with morals. More a lack of common sense being displayed on a BB. Don't redirect when it's you with all the problems you are unable to solve yourself.

manybees said:
Jhumroo said:

By the way, I know this is off topic, but many on this forum have long since discovered a way to set troublesome users here to "ignore" mode. Just go to a user's profile page and click "Add Foe," and with just a couple of clicks, this forum becomes much more enjoyable.

Ignorance is bliss. Seems to be a theme around here with some of the folks from Nor Cal. Poor problem solving skills or don't read the owners manual. Maybe it's a generational thing. Certainly no respect for elders, or folk perhaps older and wiser. Oh well, not my loss.

f1geek said:
VW does not follow the J1772 protocol correctly for AC charging. There is no requirement to lock the AC plug in the vehicle inlet but plug locking is an option for EVSE security or public charge session authorization access - many cars brands do not have locking J1772 inlets.
As for DCFC, locking on the car is also not required per the SAE standard - look at a Hyundai Ioniq and Chevy Spark inlet and you will see no locking solenoid. You will notice the button on an AC J1772 plug is a mechanical lever, while the button on a CCS plug is an electromechanical switch. The electrically actuated lock on the CCS handle ensures the plug can not be removed during a DCFC session.

To answer your question about disabling the e-Golf vehicle inlet lock, there is no option in software to disable this (as provided by BMW on the i3). I agree it is a pain. At least on 2017 and later models, you have 30 seconds to remove the plug before the lock re-engages - on earlier models there was more like a ~5 second lock re-engagment which requires a sort of dance with the remote and the plug.

Thank you for your helpful explanation :)

manybees said:
Jhumroo said:

Thanks for the tip!

Jhumroo said:
manybees said:
Jhumroo said:

Thanks for the tip!

Here's a tip for you... buy a 2016 SE with the slow 3.6kWh on board charger. The charging port doesn't lock on that particular model.

Sorry to see that you encountered a socially awkward person. But sometimes, even they might be helpful. You just need to spend an extra calorie to filter what is useful from them and what is not.

Regarding your problem: I went through reviewing car's coding via VCDS (you can probably use OBDEleven as well) and I have found that there is an option to disable the interlocking of the charging port. You are basically telling the car that it does not have interlocking is installed. I posted some details in reddit. It is a nice solution for people like you who only charge their car in their garage.

Let me know if you need more information.

Back