Really dumb question about charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seem to be a couple of different ways of accomplishing my charging needs. For now I have it set at 80/80 and that's working out quite well.

New e-Golf owner here: I’ve setup the “min charge” to 80% and an e-Schedule (7am departure, standard location) with 80% max charge.
Yet, when I charge overnight (currently still with the 110v charger), I will go to 100%. What am I missing here?
I inserted the plug last night and pressed the button (the charge now button).

Thanks

PeterS said:
New e-Golf owner here: I’ve setup the “min charge” to 80% and an e-Schedule (7am departure, standard location) with 80% max charge.
Yet, when I charge overnight (currently still with the 110v charger), I will go to 100%. What am I missing here?
I inserted the plug last night and pressed the button (the charge now button).

Thanks

Others here will correct me if I get any of this wrong, but I believe you needed to push the "charge later" button on the bottom rather than the "charge now" button because "charge now" always takes it to 100% no matter what schedule you have set. When you've set up a departure time, for the scheduled charge to take effect, you have to press the "charge later" button when you plug in.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

• the "min charge" setting means that whenever you first plug in, and the car detects that the state of charge (SoC) is below this level it will ALWAYS charge to the "min charge" level no matter what your other settings are, and then stop and continue with any regular schedule if you've set up departure times. For example, you have it set to 80%, so every time you plug in and it's below that SoC, it will charge to 80% and then stop even though you've set up delayed charging by setting a departure time. Also, since you've set a departure time with 80% SoC desired, the departure time's "max charge" setting has no effect for you because the car will already have charged to 80% when you first plugged it in because of your "min charge" setting.
  • once you've set up a departure time with a desired state of charge, you have to press the lower button on the charge port for the schedule to take effect. You can tell it's working if the light is blinking green after a few seconds. Once in effect, the car will charge to the specified percentage by the set departure time.
  • Pressing the top "charge now" button will always charge to 100% if you let it. This button overrides the other settings.

Clear as mud, eh? Most people who first use the car find the charging software for the e-Golf to be a usability nightmare, or at least highly unintuitive, to say the least, but you should realize that you do adapt to its wonkiness after a while.

Hope this helps a bit.

Back