rear view mirror

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody else around that doesn't like the "self dimming" inside rear view mirror? That is the worst feature on our 15 SEL eGolf IMO and we have one in our 2015 Passat TDI SEL too, we hate them. When did we get so lazy we can't reach up and flick the tab at the bottom of a mirror? I'm sure it cost more to make these useless mirrors too. I still reach up and tilt it upwards when driving at night. Anybody know if it can be replaced with a "normal" one?

It's even worse on the 2017's. When the "frameless" rear view mirror auto-dims, it leaves a small band around the edge that is not dimmed, which is very annoying. Another problem: Light from the passenger reading light disables the auto-dim function. I miss the manual lever, too.

I would bet you could swap mirrors if you don't have driver assist.

The SEL's have a sensor where the mirror mounts to the glass; it's for the auto on/off headlights. My Alltrack S doesn't have auto on/off headlights and thus lacks this sensor; its standard flip up style mirror simply mounts to the windshield in the usual manner. Looking at both cars, they do not appear to be interchangeable.

I personally have no issues with it, nor with the one in the 2006 Audi A3 that I used to own. I would love to have it in the Alltrack but that car's not a daily driver.

Back