recommendation for L1 charger with wall mount?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeggolf

Hi all,

I've been charging my new-to-me 2016 e-golf SE primarily at home with the included plug-in 110v charger. Despite the slow charging, I think it will meet my needs. The main upgrade I'd like to make is to get a second L1 charger with a wall mount, so that I can conveniently charge at home and leave the included charger in the trunk all the time.

Which brands/models should I consider? Any particular considerations to keep in mind that I might be missing?

Thanks!

I think you should get one that is UL or Intertek listed (for safety). Buy used to save money- I believe you can get used L1 stations from Clipper Creek. I have been very happy with my Clipper Creek HCS-40 and the 2016 e-Golf most likely has a Delphi rebranded Clipper Creek EVSE, so you know how reliable it is. If you are going to get one dedicated for the garage, if your circuit is 20 amps, you could get a hard wired 16 amp L1 station from Clipper Creek, if you want to charge faster than 12 amps on L1. Of course, L2 is better yet, but maybe you don't want to upgrade to L2 just yet.

If you have a Dedicated 120V 20 amp circuit, with a hot, neutral and ground wire already pulled in 12 ga wire, I would look into seeing an electrician that can pull the neutral wire from the neutral buss in the power panel and color code it correctly and tie it in to the other leg of the panel, so that you now have a DEDICATED 240V 20 amp circuit for charging your car.

Future proof your house, electric is coming, and 240v is a much, much, much better way to go when it comes to recharging your car.

Back