remote climate control from car-net not working

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwe18hole

I got the 2019 SE very recently. I registered my Car-net. Whenever I try to set the climate control remotely, I either get error messages or it just doesn't do anything. I tried it plugged and unplugged, with sufficient battery charge (>100 miles). I even tried the car-net web portal. So far, I am not able to turn on the climate control from the app. Also, when I try to activate the "Unplugged Climate Control" in the car-net settings, it says "We're sorry. Something went wrong."
I can lock/unlock the car and see its status from the app so I am not sure why climate control does not work.
Anybody had a a similar problem?

I do have this problem too. So far I have not been able to set the climate before departure. I'm new (08.10.19) to the e-golf (2019) and the Juicebox pro 40. I had a difficult time even getting the e-golf to start charging the first time I plugged in. Reading the Juicebox instructions I discovered that if a departure time is set, the car will not charge right away. A new to EV owner, I have charging anxiety, so I disabled the departure time setting and the charge started immediately. Today I set the departure time and climate for the week, I hope my car is charged when I wake up tomorrow and is 68 degrees when I go out to the garage.. however I have my doubts. I might set my alarm early to check the status of the car so I'm not without range.

Back to the climate issue, I wonder if the climate settings are restricted by the charger in some capacity? Does the Egolf need to be in an active charging state for a user to set the climate in the app? I'm not sure how this works and once I step through the first charging / departure time issue with a Juicebox pro 40, I'll take another look at trying to troubleshoot the climate setting in an app. Please chime in if anyone has had similar issues and was able to work up solutions. Thx

FIRST
The JuiceBox plug does not fit as cleanly as the Delphi charger into the charging port. I have to push mine with some force to get it to click. They key is to make sure the little LED is displaying green, not yellow.

SECOND
My sure your JuiceBox is set to "Charge Now" on the first screen within the app and that the Minimum Charge and Schedule-Time of Use are both turned OFF. The JuiceBox has some interesting features, but since it cannot communicate with your car, many of the functionalities are of limited value.

This setting will allow your car to pull power whenever it deems necessary. Otherwise, the JuiceBox and eGolf must both be set to give and receive power at the same time, or else it will not work.

THIRD
I find Car-net to be total garbage. I would configure all the settings on the e-manager screen (including setting climate control for your departure time) in your car to ensure they are appropriately uploaded.

I recall having trouble getting unplugged climate control enabled when I first got my Carnet account setup. I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember feeling like it was a fault with the web interface itself rather than a case of the settings not being transferred to the car. In any case, I finally got past it by creating a charge timer. Logically, you shouldn't have to do this, but it's what worked for me.

I can only get mine to work through the web interface, never from the iOS app.

sactogolf said:
FIRST
The JuiceBox plug does not fit as cleanly as the Delphi charger into the charging port. I have to push mine with some force to get it to click. They key is to make sure the little LED is displaying green, not yellow.

SECOND
My sure your JuiceBox is set to "Charge Now" on the first screen within the app and that the Minimum Charge and Schedule-Time of Use are both turned OFF. The JuiceBox has some interesting features, but since it cannot communicate with your car, many of the functionalities are of limited value.

This setting will allow your car to pull power whenever it deems necessary. Otherwise, the JuiceBox and eGolf must both be set to give and receive power at the same time, or else it will not work.

THIRD
I find Car-net to be total garbage. I would configure all the settings on the e-manager screen (including setting climate control for your departure time) in your car to ensure they are appropriately uploaded.

Thanks SAC TOWN! Finally.. just today I was able to get the e-golf to charge ON a preset departure schedule from the emanager, AND provide the preset departure climate! I followed your suggestions all without luck this week.. until I realized I was only seeing a solid yellow light on the LED when I plugged in and not the flashing green light that verifies the car is confirmed set for a departure time. SO, I went back to your first step and I cannot stress this enough to others, the importance of this FIRST step with a Juicebox 40... you have to push the charger into the plug HARD until it clicks and locks. I'm 6ft and 175lbs.. It required me to use two hands and some body weight. If you don't get the plug to click, you will get a solid yellow light, and your juicebox will however eventually charge your car (this threw me off).. but it will not allow the car to enter any preset departure time / climate schedule. Now I will test my luck at setting the climate in the car from the app / webportal.

Update on this subject:
After several tries on the car-net app from my phone, I opened the web version from the computer. While I was playing with the settings, it did show I could turn on the climate control. However at that time, I did not go and check if it was running or not.
Anyway, a few days later, I tried from the phone app and it did work. I checked the inside of the car, it was indeed cooled down. That happened while plugged into a 240V charger.
Next I will try while unplugged and update.
Hope everybody gets to enable this option.

I'm not sure it's possible to cool down the interior while not connected to an EVSE. At least, I've never seen it mentioned in the owners manual or here on this site.

VW allows the e-Golf climate to be activated without being connected to a power supply, as detailed in this VW FAQ. Enjoy your cool (or hot) car whenever and wherever you like!

https://carnet.vw.com/web/vwcwp/e-golf

Ah, my car-net expired a year ago, no longer have access. I'm not paying a monthly fee for such access. It was pretty crappy, even when it was free for 3 years.

Back