Trip from Santa Monica to Big Bear Lake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAeGolf

So I finally got to try this trip to Big Bear. Left Santa Monica (near the airport) with 100% charge Friday night around 7pm, took the 10 West to downtown then the 60 East to the 215 North to the Inland Center Mall (500 Inland Center Dr, San Bernardino, CA, 92408). Arrived with 21% left. Charged using EVgo to 97% (took about 40 minutes) then drove up to Big Bear Lake. Arrived with 15% left in the battery.

Payload (2 people, 1 dog, 2 small carry-on suitcases) of approximately 320 lbs. Used A/C all the way (lowest fan speed) and drove at normal highway speeds ("normal" by LA standards), there was quite a bit of traffic for the 1st hour, but then it cleared up, with some places getting up to 75 mph, but it still took 2 hours from Santa Monica to the San Bernardino charger.

The "18 mile left" warning light came on about 22 miles from Big Bear lake. But I've done some elevation research before and I knew that the "climb" to Running Springs will be the biggest draw on the battery. The elevation gain for the last 15 miles is nowhere as bad.

My recommendation is to read the "fuel gauge" to come up with the % left in the battery, and have the navigation system programmed with your destination. As long as the % left is double your miles you should be okay.

So at Running Springs (where the 330 meets the 18), which is about 17 miles from Big Bear Lake, you should have about 36% left in your battery. Think of each "small tick" of your fuel gauge as 6% - each "bigger tick" as 12% etc. The "range estimator" on the dash is not very accurate.

If this is your first time, drive slow, make sure you have the PlugShare app. etc.

I hope this helps for anyone thinking about going to Big Bear. Let me know if you have any question.

John

Thanks for the report! I, too, find the miles remaining as useless when driving up and down altitudes. My rule of thumb is 10 miles of range left for every 1/8 tick on the remaining charge.

Also, I think what made your trip "Bear-able" was the strong charging station in San Bernardino.

Thanks for the report John. I'm contemplating doing a trip on Monday from Fullerton to Downey by 8AM. Top off, then, Downey to Reseda by noon. The tricky part is I need to travel from Reseda to LAX by 1PM and then LAX home to Fullerton.

There are some quick chargers in Downey/Cerritos but only a couple in the valley (according to PlugShare) and they seem to have technical issues or are very crowded. Do you know any level 3's in Santa Monica or off the 405?

Philip

There is one near the 105 and 405 - by Fresh and Easy (1700-C Rosecrans Avenue Manhattan Beach, CA 90266), but you are cutting it close, not sure how time sensitive your appointments are. There is also a Level 3 at Walgreens (18568 Ventura Boulevard, Tarzana, CA, 91356) even a 15 minute top-off may give you enough. I always use PlugShare and just select SAE Combo ONLY, then plan my route based on that.

A friendly caution - i was unable to charge at the Tarzana (Walgreens) DC charger, the error on the charger was "Unable to communicate". I personally wouldn't trust that charger on my eGolf when I'm that pressed for time. The only DC charger I've gotten to work is the one on Sunset Blvd. (Trader Joes).

Thank for the good info.

Coincidentally I have to go up to Lake Arrowhead soon, so I shall follow your directions. I had been trying to figure out the best route vis a vis charging options. I should sign up for evgo, I suppose.

EggGolf - I heard from ChargePoint they have a DC combo somewhere in Alhambra...in case you go through the 10

Back