Vampire Drain for 2015 SEL Premium

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslabc17

Hello,

Im new to driving the eGolf, just got mine and was wondering is there any vampire drain (Power drain when the car is turned off) that I should be aware of compared to a Tesla?

Thank you!

Slim to none.

However, you should try to keep your car at a full charge as short a time as possible between completing recharging and driving it off, to take the top charge off of it. I try to keep at least 1 tick mark off the top of the "fuel" gauge before I park my car overnight, if I need to charge in the late afternoon or evening.

An example would be battery gets fully charged by 5:30 or 6 pm, and I go do grocery shopping then or pick up some take out Chinese for dinner. 4 to 5 miles will remove a kW or so from the state of charge. Much easier on the battery then, overnight, especially during the heat of the summer time.

Don't compare anything on your e-Golf to a Tesla. Not even the battery, since it is passively cooled, it has different and greater charging limitations due to it's size and being so small. If anything, compare it to a Nissan Leaf.

tslabc17 said:
Hello,

Im new to driving the eGolf, just got mine and was wondering is there any vampire drain (Power drain when the car is turned off) that I should be aware of compared to a Tesla?

Thank you!

Vampire drain is not a thing on an e-Golf like it is on a Tesla. The VW shuts down completely and has almost no 12V drain while parked either. If you're going on vacation or will leave the car parked for an extended period without driving it, leave the car 40%-70% charged and just leave it like that. You don't need to plug it in. Maybe if you will leave it for several months and you feel like it, connect a 12V tender. I know one owner who just left the car in storage for 6 months with nothing plugged in and it just started up like a normal day.

Back