Volt Owner thinking of getting an e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmart233

I am thinking of getting an e-Golf. Question, does the e-Golf have a setting where you can set the car to be charged by a set time. For example, in my Volt, I tell it to be charged by 5am. This way I can plug it in at 5 in the afternoon however it won't start charging until after midnight. This way I use the cheapest electricity offered by my utility company. Chevy calls this delayed charging. Also, I currently have the Volt 240V charger that is only 20amps. Will this work with the e-Golf? I would assume so, it would just take a little bit longer correct. Thanks for any advice.

Hi and welcome,

The e-Golf does have a charging delay, but I hear it is difficult to get it to function correctly. You have a lower electric rate after a certain time of day? Must be nice ...

And yes, a 20A Level 2 will work, but at a slower rate with the e-Golf. The maximum for the e-Golf charger is 7.2kW, or 32A.

As long as car-net has the capability of having the function, I take comfort in that eventually they will get everything fixed. I just don't understand why it takes so long to fix even something simple.

For instance, the trip data shows kwh/100 miles eg 20 but detail popup words say miles/kwh when they mean to say kwh/100 miles. kwh/100 miles is an EPA measure, but the displays on the car show miles/kwh eg 4.4/. I don't understand why car-net wants to show something different from what the car shows and which drivers are used to

Ron

I'm a former Volt owner, and there are definitely some things that my 2012 Volt did much better than my 2015 eGolf. Of course, the opposite is also true :)

The Volt was much better at all of the charge scheduling features and mobile app integration. VW is way behind on this, but they should definitely have the resources to catch up soon. The "delayed charging" equivalent on the VW still doesn't work right, and as many of have discovered, can leave you with an uncharged battery in the morning. Regular/unscheduled charging works just fine.

There are also many minor annoyances with the eGolf, but the Volt certainly had its share as well. Perhaps unfairly, I was more inclined to give the Volt a "pass", as it was truly a first-of-its-kind vehicle; whereas VW has been making Golfs forever. Ok, they haven't been making eGolfs forever, but still...

I'd say that the overall driving experience is much better in the VW.

-JM

BeardedRobot said:
I'd say that the overall driving experience is much better in the VW.

Could you elaborate on this? I test drove a Volt a few times and almost bought one. I did enjoy the way it drove. I haven't gotten a chance to test drive the eGolf yet.

@GetOffYourGas:
I thought the Volt drove pretty well too, but I like the feel of the VW better. Nothing scientific- just my "butt gauge" telling me that the eGolf handles a little better, and generally feels a little tighter all the way around. I feel a little more connected to the road in the VW. I think the e-Golf really benefits from being built on a very proven platform.

That said, I'm really looking forward to the next-gen Volt. Chevy will have had the chance to make many refinements, and I'm hopeful that it will feel even better than the e-Golf; time will tell!

-JM

My Volt owning brother tried our e-Golf last Sunday. He was impressed with the amount of low speed torque, and noticed the low CG in its handling.

He was surprised that the battery is air cooled.

One thing that I hope shows up for us e-golf owners, was that some enthusiasts have reverse engineered the ECU PID's, and he could find out all manner of interesting things that was going on with his battery pack.

Back