"Warning: Electrical System Malfunction"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garypen

I got a warning message like that the other morning. I first heard a "ding" when I unplugged the charger. I looked inside, and saw that warning on the instrument panel.

I coiled up the cord, and went back to read it again, but it was gone. However, when I opened the driver door, it dinged again, and the message popped up again, saying I needed to seek service immediately.

I started the car, and got it again. So, I plugged in my VCDS cable, and did an auto-scan, and get a bunch of unrelated and seemingly impossible fault codes. I powered the car off, and on again, and no error message this time. I drove for 10 minutes or so, and no error messages.

However, I decided to bring it into the dealer, and have them plug in their computer to see if maybe it might find something that VCDS can't. But, they also said the multiple unrelated fault codes were not based on reality, as all of the components that had fault codes were operating normally.

My theory is that there was some kind of power surge or dip when I unplugged the charger, as that is when I heard the first ding. And, that somehow caused the ECU to flip out.

In the mean time, I haven't gotten any errors after they cleared the codes and reset the ECU. Although, it has only been one day.

Was the list more-or-less this:
Driver Assistance Systems
Hill Hold
Electric System
Hybrid Components
Tires and Brakes
Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

I ask because this is the set of parts that get an error when you do a 12v battery disconnect on the e-Golf.

The faults were in the following modules:
23-Brake Booster
5F-Information Electr.
75-Telematics
8C-Hybrid Battery
BD-Hi Volt. Batt. Charger
C5-Therm. mgt.

So, there is some overlap with the components you mention.

Back