What's most efficient. Drive in D or drive in B?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was the temperature during your comparison? It also is hard to control for how you drive. I hit 5+ miles / kWh driving in D and using all four levels of regen, as needed. It needs to be in the mid forties (F) to make it easier to do this - no use of the heater, and better coasting.

>>>>In D mode 4.4 M/kWh In B mode 5.0 M/kWh>>>>>

Beard, I don't understand the physics of how B mode can be giving you more miles/kwh than D with coasting. It doesn't make sense. Using the brake in D mode IS regen. If you minimize the brake use in D and coast to almost a stop, you don't get any of the inefficiency of regen converting momentum back into energy that you get with B mode. Regen can't possibly recover 100%.

But in any event , any regen setting will reduce the momentum of coasting. The minute you let up on the gas you're braking instead of coasting. The manual itself says the same thing on page 247. You can't be doing better in B mode than D mode

Ron

Exactly right, Ron. By definition, regen loses some energy - it will always lose more energy than coasting.

When you use regen a lot, you have accelerated more than you needed to.

If you accelerate a lot, you use a lot more energy, and then you don't take full advantage of this "investment" in your moving car, and you lose more energy, because regen can only regain a portion of the energy you used to accelerate.

When you accelerate less, then coast, and then use regen to slow down if you need to, you will use less energy in the first place, and you lose very little.

Obviously, regen is better than friction brakes, but it is not as good as coasting.

Hilly areas and maintaining a speed limit is advantageous for being in a regen mode without needing to ride the brake. Sure, coast and let the speed get up on the downhill, but risk a ticket. I'll let up on the go pedal to maintain speed on the downhill without moving my foot to the brake, and gets some energy back while staying under the speed limit.

Sure, cruise control will also go into regen to maintain on the downhill, but sometimes traffic is too variable to do that.

I also see better mpkWh in B than in D.

B mode should almost always be more efficient than D, for the simple fact that in B, you’ll use the brakes less. “Coasting” doesn’t really earn you anything (in terms of efficiency).

Let me explain:

I think there’s a lot of misconception about what “coasting” while in D mode really is. Remember- there’s no manual transmission here- we’re not engaging a clutch or shifting to neutral; the eGolf is NOT mechanically disconnecting the electric motor and battery pack from the rest of the drivetrain. “Coasting” (ok I’ll stop putting it in quotes now) is simply a software construct, which effectively holds the throttle at the point of equilibrium between regeneration and acceleration- also known as “0” on your dashboard Power gauge.

You can coast all day long in B mode; just keep your foot on the gas pedal and the power gauge pegged to 0. This is exactly the same thing (from a power perspective) as taking your foot off the gas in D mode.

Again- coasting in D has no advantage over holding the throttle at “0” in B mode. Except, maybe, for the convenience factor of being able to rest your foot :)

Once we take coasting off the table, the comparison between B and D modes comes down to braking. When using B mode, you inevitably use the manual brakes less- which is a good thing! You’re then maximizing the regenerative effects of your braking forces, and losing less of those braking forces to mechanical friction though the brake pads.

Thought experiment re. braking: Imagine you’re driving 60mph on a flat road, and you need to decelerate to 40mph. Which would you rather do- let B mode decelerate you down to speed, or use the brakes? Assuming apples-to-apples deceleration rates, you would always pick B mode, because it ensures that you’re using 100% of the eGolf’s regen capability. If you use the brakes to achieve the same deceleration, some portion of that deceleration force comes from regen, but some inevitably comes from the brake pads. That ratio is software controlled and likely variable, but you’ll always lose something through the pads.

So, because coasting can be achieved in B mode with no loss compared to coasting in D, and because B mode maximizes the regenerative potential of any deceleration, it’s very hard for me to imagine a use case where D mode is advantageous.

Some responses to specific comments/questions:

@NeilBlanchard
What was the temperature during your comparison?
I’m in the SF Bay Area; morning portion of the commutes were pretty consistently mid-high 50s, return trips were mid 60s. The numbers I quoted were averages of 3-4 trips in each mode; I’m relatively confident that any temperature deviations were averaged out.

@cove3
Using the brake in D mode IS regen.
That’s partially true; using the brakes does create some regen, but also frictional losses.

@cove3
If you minimize the brake use in D and coast to almost a stop, you don't get any of the inefficiency of regen converting momentum back into energy.
Right, but you can achieve exactly the same thing in B mode by regulating the throttle position. No need to be in D.

@cove3
Regen cant possibly recover 100%.
Sad, but true :)

Anyway, I hope that adds to the discussion in a helpful way.

-JM

<<<<<If you use the brakes to achieve the same deceleration, some portion of that deceleration force comes from regen, but some inevitably comes from the brake pads.>>>.

Are you sure this is true? It's my understanding that using the brake in D mode involves NO pad to metal, only regen. (except for emergency braking)

Also, if as you say you can coast in B by keeping the power at 0, doesn't this mean you have to incur some regen to get to 0?

Also, don't you have to keep watching the power display so as to keep the throttle exactly on 0. Wouldn't this be a safety concern?

I'll drive in whatever mode gives me the most miles/kwh (assuming the same acceleration/anticipation in both)
but I need to understand the physics and this is a useful thread to achieve this

Ron

@cove3:
<<<<<If you use the brakes to achieve the same deceleration, some portion of that deceleration force comes from regen, but some inevitably comes from the brake pads.>>>.

Are you sure this is true? It's my understanding that using the brake in D mode involves NO pad to metal, only regen. (except for emergency braking)
I don’t have any specifics on the algorithm VW uses to “mix” the braking forces- wish I did. But any car capable of regen employs some algorithm to mix the regen braking force with the mechanical force of the standard brakes. Some do this better than others (ever drive an early Prius? yikes). I think the VW does a really good job of mixing the forces; I haven’t yet been able to feel (through the brake pedal) the “switchover” from regen to mechanical braking (as I clearly could in some of the older-gen hybrids and EVs). It may very well be true that the VW gives you pure regen over some portion of the brake pedal throw before engaging the pads. It’s also likely that the VW progressively blends in the mechanical brakes without us knowing that’s it’s happened, providing the generally smooth feel of the brakes. Without knowing the formula they use, we’ll never know for sure.

My point is: who cares? When using the deceleration effect of lifting the throttle in B mode, you know that the car is recovering as much of that energy as possible. Using the brakes to achieve the same effect? We just don’t know how much of that energy is recovered vs. lost through the pads. There may be conditions where applying the brakes results in full regen, but there are definitely conditions when it won’t. So, go with what you know- and take full advantage of the B mode.

Also, if as you say you can coast in B by keeping the power at 0, doesn't this mean you have to incur some regen to get to 0?
Doesn’t matter (when comparing B to D), because the same effect would be true for “coasting” in D mode.

Also, don't you have to keep watching the power display so as to keep the throttle exactly on 0. Wouldn't this be a safety concern?
Yes, it probably would be a bad idea to keep your eyes glued to the gauge :) It doesn’t take long to find the sweet spot just by feel when driving in B mode.

But, the real point here is that you don’t have to look at the gauge at all- nor do you have to keep it pegged at 0. Just hold the throttle at whatever point fits the situation- this is the essence of “one pedal driving”. If you want to “coast” from point A to B, just hold the throttle at whatever point achieves that goal. Remember, we’re just comparing the effects of the two driving modes; in equivalent driving situations, you lose nothing by doing this in B mode, and you avoid any potential losses though the pads.

But don’t take my word for it- I’m just some dude on the Interwebs. Test it yourself! The numbers I got support what I’m saying- maybe you’ll find something different :)

-JM

Coasting is much easier in D, and therefore it is better. Just lift your right foot. Coast. Does it every time.

I use the friction brakes very little - I shift down to D1, D2, and D3, or I go straight to B when I need to slow down.

The main point is, if you have to use B a lot - then you have accelerated way too much. And you have already wasted the energy.

Regen is great, but it can never regain as much energy as you used to get the car going. Accelerate less, then coast, then use some regen. This will always be more efficient.

VW knows what they are doing - they built the XL1, and coasting is the key to higher efficiency.

<<<I use the friction brakes very little - I shift down to D1, D2, and D3, or I go straight to B when I need to slow down>>>

Neil, I maintain you don't use friction brakes at all when you brake and therefore there's no need to shift down to D1-3 or B because you're getting exactly the same regen result by braking. Since this is key to the debate, we should get confirmation from an e-golf mechanic or VW. Is normal braking in D mode ALL regen or is it part regen, part friction?

When you brake in any normal way, the slowing down of the car is much less than the slow down while in B. You can see this on the energy display. The needle goes much deeper into the red when letting up while in B than it does while braking in D. Page 231 says D mode energy is only recuped during braking, while D1-3+B, it's recuped during braking, costing and driving downhill.

Therefore, why would friction brakes come into play in anything other than an emergency braking situation?

Ron

I too have similar questions. Essentially, is it more efficient to coast (and thus use very little energy) or to use d1/d2/d3/b to brake and regenerate energy (while requiring more energy to get up to a speed you would have been at had you just coasted after letting off the accelerator).

Clearly, BMW believes it's more efficient to slow down the car with max regeneration. While test-driving an i3, I found this hard to get used to.

Frank, I had the same opinion when I test drove the i3. The e-golf regen solution is much more sophisticated. I didn't like anything about the i3, including the price. I also have observed i3 owners reporting many more problems on their forum than I see on this forum. Also the i3 range, especially in cold weather, seems to be noticeably worse

So far, I feel I'm much better off with the e-golf

Ron

VW built the XL1 (and the L1) which are the most efficient "production" cars ever - so I think they have the correct approach. I also know that Illuminati Motor Works 'Seven" - that has a 220+ mile range on a 33kWh battery pack, works this way. And I have been ecodriving for over 7 years, and coasting is the way to go, when you want maximum efficiency.

Coasting in D is easy and repeatable, and takes no practice. The one thing you do have to change, though is how hard you accelerate, and accelerate for less time; in order to take as much advantage of coasting as you can.

Some follow up thoughts:

Basic hi-efficiency driving techniques still apply to my argument here; e.g., don’t accelerate more than you need to, use the brakes as sparingly as possible, etc. I am certainly not advocating (nor should anyone else!) that you should intentionally accelerate more than you need to just to take advantage of the regen braking. Entropy’s no friend here! In an ideal world, you would simply accelerate only to the point that would allow you to coast to a natural stop at your destination. Of course, this never happens- we have traffic, hills, (minimum) speed limits, road conditions, limited patience of the drivers behind us, etc.

I still think “coasting” is not the best word for what happens when you take your foot off the gas in D mode. While it brings back wonderful memories of flying down a hill on my bike without a helmet as a kid in the 70s, what’s happening in our EVs isn’t quite so simple. Again, there is no mechanical disconnect from the wheels. Think back to early Electricity and Magnetism sections of Physics- an electric motor is also a generator. Put current into it, and it’ll spin like a motor (i.e. pushing on the gas pedal). Or, spin it yourself, and you’ll get current out (i.e. regen). The “0” on your dash power meter ideally represents the magic point of equilibrium, where the motor is not consuming any current, nor generating any; and the car experiences whatever deceleration is created by the other mechanical frictional losses (tires, bearings, aero drag, etc.). When you take your foot off the gas in D, you’re telling the car’s software to try to hold the throttle at that equilibrium point (aka “0”). The software to do this is fairly tricky stuff, coordinating everything between the motor/generator, the charge controller, and the throttle position (at the least…). Fortunately, it’s all behind the scenes, and we just see the needle pegged to 0. If we can agree that “coasting” = “driving at 0”, then yes! We should all coast as much as possible for the best efficiency. You just don’t have to be in D mode to accomplish that :)

The important thing here is that it is all software. VW could have decided to set “coast” in D mode to whatever they wanted- using the scale of the dash power meter, they could have set it to 0.5, or -0.5 (or anything else for that matter). They chose something that “feels” right to most people who are used to ICE cars- and then they called that “0” for the purposes of the dash display. A different software setting applies for each of the driving modes. Some EVs set that point to greater than 0 at low speeds, to provide the “creep” function (the slight pull forward) that drivers of ICEs with automatic transmissions are accustomed to.

So, if you’re still with me, driving in B mode with the gauge at 0 is exactly the same thing as driving in D mode with the gauge at 0. Same deceleration effect. The only difference is where your foot is holding the pedal.

Consider a regen situation: you’re driving 60mph on a flat road and you take your foot off the gas. (side note- when can we stop calling it the “gas” pedal? :) ) If you are in D mode, you would see the power gauge go to 0. If in B mode, you’d see the gauge go to something like -4 (I know- the regen side of the gauge is not numbered, so this is a representation, but you get the idea). If you’re in any of the other regen modes, you’d see the needle go to somewhere between 0 and -4. For argument’s sake, let’s say the “regen 1” setting = -1 on the gauge, 2 = -2, and 3= -3.

The same logic from above applies. Driving in B mode with the gauge at “-2” is the same thing as driving in Regen2 mode with the gauge at -2. Again, the only difference is throttle position.

Inverting the use case a little bit, imagine you are already decelerating, the gauge is currently at -2, and the road conditions dictate that you need to decelerate harder, and should really be at -3:
1. If you’re currently in Regen2, you could “downshift” into Regen 3.
2. If you’re currently in D, then you’re already on the brakes, and you’d have to brake harder. Some of this braking force (maybe all of it? I remain skeptical…) will be recuperated as regen.
3. If you’re super smart and good looking and the envy of all your friends, then you’d already be in B mode, and you would simply ease up on the gas a bit more. :)

The net energy effect of all of these options is the same (granting, for a moment, that manual braking is 100% regen- which seems doubtful to me). Which choice is easier? Option #3, go w B mode!

I think we can all agree- the best path towards highly efficient driving is to minimize acceleration and maximize the regenerative effects of any necessary deceleration. I (and others) have found this to be easiest to achieve in B mode, and the numbers seem to back it up. Anecdotally, I also found this to be true of my Chevy Volt; I got the best range by using the highest regen setting available.

Lastly, have a theory that supports or refutes? Think up a good test, and test it! Then share your results here :)

Some specific responses:

@NeilBlanchard
Coasting is much easier in D, and therefore it is better.
Arguable. If it is easier, it’s because it feels more natural to people used to an ICE platform. From the efficiency perspective, it’s no better than driving in B with the power needle at 0.

I use the friction brakes very little - I shift down to D1, D2, and D3, or I go straight to B when I need to slow down.
Totally agree- use the friction brakes as little as possible! But doesn’t this run counter to your previous “easier is better” argument? Why not just use B mode, and regulate the amount of braking force you need with the position of the gas pedal? No need to mess around with shifting!

The main point is, if you have to use B a lot - then you have accelerated way too much. And you have already wasted the energy.
Totally agree- but only if we’re talking about a Stop sign-to-Stop sign example on a flat road with no traffic. If you’re going downhill, if traffic suddenly slows, etc., then this is not the case. And, even in the Stop sign to Stop sign example, most drivers accelerate more than we really need to, just to avoid pissing off the guy behind us! I’d still argue that in this case it’s best to use B mode to slow the car as much as possible before engaging the brakes to come to a complete stop.

Accelerate less, then coast, then use some regen. This will always be more efficient.
Absolutely! I would just tweak the statement by saying: coast (hold the needle at 0) in B mode, so that you can make the most of the regen when you eventually need to slow down.

VW knows what they are doing
I hope you’re right :) The e-Golf is pretty buggy, so let’s hope they figure it all out soon…

@cove3
I maintain you don't use friction brakes at all when you brake and therefore there's no need to shift down to D2 or B because you're getting exactly the same regen result by braking. Since this is key to the debate, we should get confirmation from an e-golf mechanic or VW. Is normal braking ALL regen or part regen part friction?
Yes, it would be great to understand this better. Can you think of a way to test your theory? Magic marker on the brake rotor? I dunno… But, until this is known to be a fact, the safest route (from an efficiency perspective) is to use B mode, as we know that it maximizes the regen potential.

When you brake in any normal way, the slowing down of the car is much less than the slow down while in B. You can see this on the energy display. The needle goes much deeper into the red when letting up while in B than it does while braking in D. Therefore, why would friction brakes come into play in anything other than an emergency braking situation?
Not sure I agree with your conclusion. The needle is a measure of regen, not deceleration. I do think there is some tricky stuff happening behind the scenes with how the regen force is mixed with the mechanical braking force. Consider the case of braking in D with a fully charged battery: there’s no regen happening (no place for it to go!), it’s all friction. Sure, this is an edge case which doesn’t help the larger efficiency argument; but it does suggest that the VW is fully capable of blending the regen and braking forces without us really knowing it’s happening.

Anyway, like I said before, test it yourself! Find a there-and-back route (to negate elevation changes), with real-world road and traffic conditions, which you can repeat with reasonably consistent avg MPH and climate settings. I think you’ll find results similar to mine- B is best :)

-JM

Interesting conversation. Reminds me of discussions in college regarding the meaning of "2001 A Space Odyssey". Essentially, we can talk all day, but without all of the information to make an informed decision, it's just talk and conjecture. Sure would like to see a white paper from VW on this. BeardedRobot, you make good points - but i think your theories assume perfect and equal relationships, efficiencies and inefficiencies between coasting, regeneration, etc. Kind of like physics test questions that assume no wind resistance - theoretically accurate, but may not be accurate in a real world.

So VW, if you're listening, show me the white paper!

BeardedRobot said:
side note- when can we stop calling it the “gas” pedal?

Maybe when VW changes the start / stop button button so that it doesn't say 'Engine start / stop' and when the dash display doesn't say 'Ignition is on'
:D

I agree with your assessment of the software side of things. "Coasting" is now a computer-controlled concept and once you get used to the more direct relationship between right-hand pedal angle and speed that you get with B mode, it's quite easy to drive mostly on one pedal.

Has anyone tried putting the car into N while moving? If there is really no means of disconnecting the motor / generator from the drivetrain, I wonder what N really does? If it's different to D with no throttle input, maybe that's a way to test coasting.

My 2-cents on this topic, or rather the way regen and coasting works.

I don't believe there's any energy draw when coasting, I think the motor is simply left to spin without any energy fed to or drawn from it, and I think there is very little friction loss.
[EDIT: I may be wrong re: no energy used when coasting -- I tried a couple of power-offs at speed, in neutral and drive, and there was a momentary small deceleration at shutdown, but coasting seemed to proceed as usual. However, when restarting while in neutral at speed, the coasting deceleration was detectably reduced (i.e. the car seemed to speed up.) There could possibly be added drag of some sort when the system is shut off, so this observation is not conclusive either. I may try to see how far the car can coast from a certain speed with the car on and off.]

Seat-of-the-pants and educated guess on regen when using the brake pedal is that it delivers as much "braking" as it can via regen, and if your pressure on the pedal is such that regen alone won't provide that level of deceleration (the power meter pegs left to the 9-o'clock position*,) the disc brakes blend in as needed. This is usually most apparent when the vehicle speed gets so low that regeneration doesn't happen anymore (less than 5-mph I think,) and which point you can often feel greater deceleration as the disc brakes kick in -- the only way to come to a complete stop in most (non-hypermiling or uphill) situations. The e-Golf had the best blending of EVs I tested, much better than the Leaf, which sometimes (on a friend's car with >40k mi.) had a pretty harsh jerk when the discs engaged.

The brakes give me the most trouble when I try to move really short distances from a stop. It feels like maybe the car tries to regen briefly so nothing happens, then the discs engage and I'm yanked to halt. Maybe I'm just too club-footed. :oops:

* If the battery SOC is high, like 95%, then max regen tends to be around 11-o'clock.

I think we're discovering the reason none of us are software engineers for EVs..!
Energy can't be destroyed, so when the battery is fully charged, there can't be as much regen yet they need to keep the brake pedal feel as consistent as possible. I don't think we'll ever know how they blend friction and regen braking in any of the settings as it must have to vary depending on so many factors, battery charge, speed, brake pedal pressure, traction control sensors, etc, etc

The XL1 is the most efficient "production" car, ever. I think that it is case in point.

The pedal on the right is the accelerator pedal.

Setting aside the rare case of the battery being fully charged or the brake pedal being used for an emergency stop, I continue to maintain driving in D with coasting will get more miles/kwh than driving in B. The coasting maximizes the momentum and any braking needed gives regen with no pad to metal. I observed the following while driving Sat:

1. In B at 35mph, letting up fully on the power pedal resulted in the power display going only into the second of the 3 green regen bars
2. In B at 35mph, trying to coast by keeping the power display at 0 was very difficult. I kept drifting into green or red and watching it was distracting.
3. In D at 35mph, letting up fully on the power pedal resulted in coasting, and hitting the brake enough to slow down about at the same rate at B resulted in the power display going into the second of the 3 green bars, the same as in B

One is not inclined when driving in B to coast by keeping the power display at 0, and even if tried, is impossible. Those two factors combined should result in a lower miles/khw for B

That being said, the differences might be small, but even if they are large, it's much more fun to drive in B. So unless I'm trying to squeeze out max range for a long trip, I'll drive in B

Ron

cove3 said:
That being said, the differences might be small, but even if they are large, it's much more fun to drive in B.

I have 2k miles on my eGolf now and this quote says it all for me. B mode is simply more fun, especially on the windy canyon roads on my work commute. My current average consumption according to CarNet is 5.3 mi/KWH with average trip size of 22 miles.

Back