2018 eGolf delivery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking to make this post a topic, but I will see what responses I am going to get here.

My suggestion would be for each future egolf owner to post the year and month of ordering and also the year and month of promised delivery.
In my case I ordered in June 2017 and was told a week ago that I will get the car in April 2018.
Ordered from Yorkdale Volkswagen in Toronto.

Thanks

egolf1 said:
I am thinking to make this post a topic, but I will see what responses I am going to get here.

My suggestion would be for each future egolf owner to post the year and month of ordering and also the year and month of promised delivery.
In my case I ordered in June 2017 and was told a week ago that I will get the car in April 2018.

Thanks

You should also mention where you live and what dealer you ordered from.

Interestingly the wait time depends on the location the car is ordered from. They don't have a common wait list.
I was told each dealer is allocated a certain number of deliveries each month.

Date of Deposit Put: Dec 7, 2017
Estimated Delivery Timeline: March-May 2018 (even if most people don't believe it)
Colour and Packages: Oryx White with Tech/DAP/Leatherette
Dealership: Clarkdale in Vancouver, BC, Canada

Wondering if you have any discount when order e-golf.. for me im a APA member but they dont offer e-golf given that vm don't make $$ for e-golf that's also the reason they don't push hard for mass prod..

Deposit put down: May 3, 2017 at Myers VW Ottawa
Anticipated delivery: Last week of January 2018 :lol: Ibelieveitwheniseeit!

That stinks. The dealer lots in California are filled with them and are offering big discounts. I see eGolfs everyday, but I see a lot more Leafs, Bolts, and Teslas.

Voltron said:
That stinks. The dealer lots in California are filled with them and are offering big discounts. I see eGolfs everyday, but I see a lot more Leafs, Bolts, and Teslas.

Define a big discount. My 2015 e-Golf SEL was $11,200 off of MSRP, then another $7500 Federal Tax Credit, then a $2500 state rebate here in CA. About $15,200 before taxes, registration and license.

When I decided to consider buying the e-Golf in mid Dec 2017, the dealers weren't filled with them, but they were available. Not in the color I was looking for, at least not in the SE line. In the end the choice was between white and Pearl Black. I walked in after speaking to the internet sales person and drove out with the Pearl Black that evening. In SoCal Prius rules the landscape but I am noticing more e-Golfs, mostly white, around town. A week later the same dealer had no e-Golf on the lot.

Posting from Ontario, Canada where e-Golfs are reserved out to 2019...

We didn’t do a deposit; we just kept some open lines of communication with a few dealers. This week we received an email out of the blue asking us if we were interested in an e-Golf as some purchasers had backed out of their reservation. We jumped on it and pick up our car this Friday!

...so pumped.

Our family vehicles will now be a 2017 Audi A3 etron and a 2018 VW e-Golf. My son calls this combo “the dream team”.

macgeek said:

We didn’t do a deposit; we just kept some open lines of communication with a few dealers. This week we received an email out of the blue asking us if we were interested in an e-Golf as some purchasers had backed out of their reservation. We jumped on it and pick up our car this Friday!

...so pumped.

Our family vehicles will now be a 2017 Audi A3 etron and a 2018 VW e-Golf. My son calls this combo “the dream team”.

Congrats!

What options, colour, and any pictures (for us still waiting patiently for ours :) )

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a 2018 eGolf in other countries while the US stays with the 2017. VW has always treated the American market as a poor stepchild: we get the card after everyone else and often with fewer features and trims. Must be hell to be a VW dealer; almost March and the 2018 Golf tsi is just now starting to ship. Meanwhile other makes are finishing my 2018 and building 2019 models.

Voltron said:
I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a 2018 eGolf in other countries while the US stays with the 2017. VW has always treated the American market as a poor stepchild: we get the card after everyone else and often with fewer features and trims. Must be hell to be a VW dealer; almost March and the 2018 Golf tsi is just now starting to ship. Meanwhile other makes are finishing my 2018 and building 2019 models.

VW always tests out their models in the Motherland and Northern Europe, letting the locals near the Motherland be the Beta Testers, before rolling out the hopefully debugged technology into the Americas and other foreign markets. That's their business model, it works for them, not you, the consumer. You want cutting edge, buy an American car here in America, and be a Beta Tester for the Big 3.

flyboy320 said:
macgeek said:

...so pumped.

Congrats!

What options, colour, and any pictures (for us still waiting patiently for ours :) )

It’s Pure white with black leatherette, Comfortline with Technology and Drivers Assistance Package... essentially fully loaded, just like I would have ordered myself.

And it is indeed a 2018, NOT a 2017.

JoulesThief said:
Voltron said:

VW always tests out their models in the Motherland and Northern Europe, letting the locals near the Motherland be the Beta Testers, before rolling out the hopefully debugged technology into the Americas and other foreign markets. That's their business model, it works for them, not you, the consumer. You want cutting edge, buy an American car here in America, and be a Beta Tester for the Big 3.

...yeah, but at least CarNet works in the US... it’s a no-go up in the great white north.

JoulesThief said:
Voltron said:

Sort of. Once production of a model starts, it is VERY costly to make changes to the design of a vehicle, especially to core parts like body, powertrain, etc. Fortunately, car design is so well-honed today that that all manufacturers (except for Tesla) are able to produce a high-quality product from job 1. However, there are changes to production processes over time. With VW, they typically start production of a new model in Germany or Europe where costs are high and then bring the production line up in other places for shipment to markets where they don't think they can command the premium price they get at home. These later production lines save them money three ways: 1 - Lower labor costs in places like Mexico and Brazil; 2 - Greater efficiency from what they learned early on in Europe; 3 - lower prices from suppliers as volumes grow.

VW's approach to the US market is understandable, considering their volumes, American interest in small cars, and the perception that VW is not a premium brand. I just don't like it.

Voltron said:
JoulesThief said:
Voltron said:

Sort of. Once production of a model starts, it is VERY costly to make changes to the design of a vehicle, especially to core parts like body, powertrain, etc. Fortunately, car design is so well-honed today that that all manufacturers (except for Tesla) are able to produce a high-quality product from job 1. However, there are changes to production processes over time. With VW, they typically start production of a new model in Germany or Europe where costs are high and then bring the production line up in other places for shipment to markets where they don't think they can command the premium price they get at home. These later production lines save them money three ways: 1 - Lower labor costs in places like Mexico and Brazil; 2 - Greater efficiency from what they learned early on in Europe; 3 - lower prices from suppliers as volumes grows.
VW's approach to the US market is understandable, considering their volumes, American interest in small cars, and the perception that VW is not a premium brand. I just don't like it.

Nor do I, but it is what it is.

I myself, place a premium on the German driving experience... there's a lot of mountains in Southern Germany and a lot of twisty roads both there and along the rivers in Germany, much like where I drive in California. It may not translate so well to the rest of the US markets in the Mid West, but that's the kind of roads the Germans engineer their cars to perform well in.

I've test driven quite a few electric cars in the e-Golfs price range, and honestly, nothing, IMHO, comes close to the driving experience the e-Golf provides in an electric car. Is it an adaptation across other power plant lines in the VW lineup? Absolutely! But it still drives like a proper German car in the twisties, in how it brakes, and in how it loads up and turns, as well as steering input. It's a well behaved car, period.

Back