Changing Radio Stations from Wiper Stalk...odd issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forbin404

When I'm changing radio stations from the wiper stalk, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
2016 SE

If I'm on AM and Station 1 is in HD, when I use the stalk to go to station 2, the Driver screen says #2, but it just flips back to #1.
When I'm on XM and on the Last Station preprogrammed, if I go forward to #1, it also fails the same way.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix / get around?

My only solution so far is to click forward 2 and 1 back.

VWeGolf84 said:
You can change stations with wiper stalk?? How do you do that?
on the outer portion of the wiper stalk is a up down selector.

Hold down the 'up' selector and you will see your center display show a menu of different options, one of which is audio functions.
Wait 3 seconds for it to auto select.

Then after it you can control the radio from the stalk. It's extremely nice to not have to look to the right when changing stations (as it displays in the center)

...omg, I honestly read this and thought "this persons car is broken"...not really thinking of another set of options available in the menu.

Glad I went back to read this thread...wish I knew this sooner. Thanks...maybe I should read more, I might find something special about the car. Ha.

forbin404 said:
VWeGolf84 said:

Hold down the 'up' selector and you will see your center display show a menu of different options, one of which is audio functions.

Then after it you can control the radio from the stalk. It's extremely nice to not have to look to the right when changing stations (as it displays in the center)

Thank you for finding and sharing this functionalities. Awesome...
This is so helpful, so now I can have the Android Auto Navigation map on and change the radio channel using this stick. no need to keep touching the Entertainment screen.
The phone function also work with this stick/stalk
There is OK button in the handle, to make the call.

forbin404 said:
When I'm changing radio stations from the wiper stalk, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
2016 SE

If I'm on AM and Station 1 is in HD, when I use the stalk to go to station 2, the Driver screen says #2, but it just flips back to #1.
When I'm on XM and on the Last Station preprogrammed, if I go forward to #1, it also fails the same way.

There is an OK/Reset button on the stick body - use it to confirm the selection.

djohan1 said:
forbin404 said:
2016 SE

There is an OK/Reset button on the stick body - use it to confirm the selection.
Tried that, nothing.
But I will re-confirm later today.

Just to add to this thread.

Tried the idea of the OK button (Located at the bottom of the wiper stalk)
Nope, nada, it did nothing when switching stations.

Sorry I can't help you but, I just wanted to say thank you for bringing this feature to my attention. I was genuinely upset the SE didn't have the multifunction buttons on the steering wheel, and was going to live in regret for the next 3 year lease term... this is such a come up, from answering the phone by reaching over to the touchscreen :lol:

mvolta said:
Sorry I can't help you but, I just wanted to say thank you for bringing this feature to my attention. I was genuinely upset the SE didn't have the multifunction buttons on the steering wheel, and was going to live in regret for the next 3 year lease term... this is such a come up, from answering the phone by reaching over to the touchscreen :lol:

I'd be interested to see if this can activate Siri with CarPlay if you do a long press...

well after all that work.

I took it to the dealer, showed them the 'weird issues with XM and AM and the radio stalk'.

It took them a week, they CLAIM they did nothing, but all of a sudden
My radio works perfectly now (No up / down stalk issues)
And my charging works 100% only during off peak times (Plus that really weird starts charging as close to my depature time)

So for doing nothing, my car works perfectly now. Odd

forbin404 said:

I took it to the dealer, showed them the 'weird issues with XM and AM and the radio stalk'.

And my charging works 100% only during off peak times (Plus that really weird starts charging as close to my depature time)

Leave the radio on at all times, just turn the car power on and power off button in the console. Chances then are much higher that the infotainment center will remember your last setting. If you turn the infotainment center off, and the car power on and off, it's more likely to revert to the FM station 88.7.

JoulesThief said:
forbin404 said:

Leave the radio on at all times, just turn the car power on and power off button in the console. Chances then are much higher that the infotainment center will remember your last setting. If you turn the infotainment center off, and the car power on and off, it's more likely to revert to the FM station 88.7.
I thought that only happens to the 2015's.

The 2016 infotainment is completely revised for 23016 hence I don't think that problem happens. I've turned it OFF on several occasions (Mostly because I can't reach the MUTE easily )

forbin404 said:

And I spoke too soon.

Now the radio has issues going BACKWARDS (Going from Channel 1 to 15) instead of 1-2
/sigh.

Well at least delayed charging works (Or it did the last 2 times)

forbin404 said:
VWeGolf84 said:

Best tip ever! Thank you so much for this.

Lol I let the dealer have it for another week.

1) Now it doesn't work going backwards

2) Now there is STATIC on my rear left when first turning on the radio (This is plain bad)

3) When you preprogram a station like KISS 102.7 and it goes to HD, it loses it's position and starts from #1 on the Stalk. (Extremely annoying)

Welp got my car back about the stalk issue (They fixed the crackling radio - the 'new' unit was defective)

They have no way to fix my stalk selection issues.
VW has officially given up on fixing that, they told me hopefully they have a new software update 'soon'.

While it wasn't a game changer, it was annoying.

Try another dealership, then, after calling and filing a customer complaint with Volkswagen Customer Care 800 822 8987.

Back