Build Thread: Performance e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made it myself from gloss black vinyl from Michael's. Closer look to show you how it was done: https://flic.kr/p/2jWbrtV

Tons of ways to change the appearance of Astanas. https://flic.kr/p/2jWbw7H

Here's another look I considered (my own crummy photoshopped design but you get the idea).

Attachments

• unnamed-2 copy.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 9,639
Nice work!

Did you cut the vinyl by hand or create patterns? I'd think it'd be difficult to get the lines visually straight since the hubcab isn't flat.

Thanks! They were cut by hand, but I traced the outline from the backing of the first one multiple times. A cricut and pattern would make your life easier. Lining up the lines wasn't that bad since you can peel and restick, and I used a small cardboard spacer to get spacing right. Overall, the job wasn't that hard to do, although developing the initial design took a few iterations of sketches, and it's tedious to have to repeat each piece 20 times (10 of them mirror images for the other side of the car).

i have a 2020 e-golf and i've been looking at ways to increase performance without killing range (H&R / eibach lowering springs, lighter tires/wheels, etc.).

There's been some talk over the years about reducing the weight of GTI's and Golf R's by replacing the control arms, bearings , uppers, etc. in the front and rear to reduce weight and improve the steering responsiveness of these cars. I haven't seen anything of the sort come up for the e-golf, may be because people aren't leaning towards performance with this car. However, it looks like i've found the correct thread to include this in the discussion.

here's the post for the golf R: vwvortex.com/threads/golf-r-weight-reduction-options.8976713/#post-109381346

Does anyone know anything about the suspension components of the e-golfs, is it stamped steel like the rest of the golf family? Can we upgrade these parts to the aluminum from the passat, CC, or the Audi S3, as has been suggested for the other golfs?

has anyone explored this?

Thoughts?

Thanks

From what I understand the only difference between the e-Golf and a GTI/Golf is the drivetrain. Anything not related to the motor/batteries should be exactly the same.

I agree a lot of other bits are the same, though I am not sure about the suspension. I bet the e-Golf has different shocks and springs than a GTI. You could easily check by looking for spare parts online for both cars.

Hi all, long time. Sorry for the lack of updates, been a wild year! So when I started really looking for more performance, I decided I had to ditch the 2016 and move up to a 2019. More battery and slightly bigger motor, why start with the smaller motor if I'm looking to go faster. It's also nice having the full driver aid suite, OBDeleven for more customization and CarPlay.

Anyway, I found my perfect spec a 2019 SEL in Urano grey and got to work.

I brought over the Avanti Storm's, Michelin Pilot Sports and lowering springs from my 2016, but this time got bilstein sport shocks and struts meant for a lowered car. With the stock struts I was just banging off the bump stops too much. With the Bilsteins, I still hit the bump stops if I get caught by a harsh bump, but its massively improved. I also got the full revozport RAZOR 7E aero bits that were developed for the eTrophy race cars. Quality stuff, I opted not to put the rear wing on, but all the rest is on and looking great. Last bit is a set of grey tartan GTD cloth seats, rears are in, but I need to swap some things over on the fronts to get everything to work with the OBDeleven n this car.

I still haven't been able to crack into anything on the drivetrain so all my upgrades are really handling only, but I really do love the car. I've had the good fortune of driving a lot of amazing cars, everything from Shelby Cobras to Mclarens and even the Porsche Taycan and honestly, I look forward to getting behind the wheel of this golf every time I get it in. While it's not sickeningly fast like the higher end EVs, it's quick, instant and handles amazingly. I aslo really appreciate that without hauling around a massive battery pack that I don't have a need for, the car is so much lighter than the rest of the EVs out there which pays massive dividends for effeciency and handling performance. I also run blizzaks on the stock rims in the winter. Driving through four seasons on winter tires in the cold weathe and sticky Michelins in the warm weather I'm acheiving between 3.5 and 4.5 mi/kwh and can regularly get to 115-120 miles of range. While I'm sure there are plenty of people making it to 130-140 miles or more with the stock setup driving conservatively for my purpose the losses are minimal when compared to the performance gains and fun factor.

I've even had some contact with members of the product team at VW. i've pitched the idea of giving me some support crack into the drvetrain and get a bit more performance out of the drivetrain. I'm not sure if anythign can be done with "tuning" at risk of reducing longevity of the motor and battery, but I'll keep pushing the idea and see if I can get anywhere. With a little bump in performance, this car would truly be an electric GTi and if I ever find a way to follow through on my fantasy plan of putting a second drivetrain on the rear axle, I cold have an electric GolfR.

That's all I've got for now, but if I make any progress to crack in the the divetrain I'll be back.

JhXw4l0.jpg

8PbuAw8.jpg

5kL8D7u.jpg

0lGYSBr.jpg

XWCMKRn.jpg

jiysxRy.jpg

Zk1xmWn.jpg

r3AYWnJ.jpg

tG7ge3A.jpg

J1xpyPv.jpg

Perfect setup in my eye cccmanhattan. I plan to go this route as well. this little go kart of a car is just too fun to give up.

Hello,

New to the forums. This thread is great. I am looking for actual EV performance upgrades. I own a 2019. I used to own a 2016. The 2016 was much quicker off the line. I think it is due to the larger battery. The 2019 is quicker on freeway speeds 40-70 than the 2016.

I would like to find a performance upgrade for the 0-40 range.

Any tips? Or thoughts?

broomhandle said:
Hello,

New to the forums. This thread is great. I am looking for actual EV performance upgrades. I own a 2019. I used to own a 2016. The 2016 was much quicker off the line. I think it is due to the larger battery. The 2019 is quicker on freeway speeds 40-70 than the 2016.

I would like to find a performance upgrade for the 0-40 range.

Any tips? Or thoughts?
It's interesting that you say that. I had a 2016 before as well and going from an 80 to 100kw motor expected a more obvious performance gain out of the 2019, but by the seat of the pants, it was hard to tell which was actually quicker. That said, I do find my golf to be especially eager in that 0-40 range. Everything is so instant! Sticky tires to help for sure though with all that torque available!

cccmanhattan said:
So step 1 and 2 complete. Wheels, tires and seats.

First, just want to clarify my goals. I know this is not for everyone and even with my goals clearly states, some will say I'm wasting my money or ruining the car, but I want to cut a few concerns off a the pass.

First, I'm hyper sensitive to things that look good, but actually make the car worse. As part of my business, I have the extreme privilege to drive some of the worlds most desirable cars and have an unusually high amount of time behind the wheel to understand what makes cars truly good. So, I like suspension that's appropriately compliant an keeps the tires connected to the road, not stanced to look a certain way or stiff to the point where the tires go airborne on the slights irregularity. I understand that if you look at a race car, they fit the smallest wheel they can get over the brake caliper and use tires with meaty sidewalls for compliance and grip. I also truly appreciate this car for what it is, i geek out on the range and am trying to enhance the visceral feel and driving enjoyment without totally throwing range and efficiency out the window.

Lastly, If I was going to dump a bunch of money into it, I'd just go buy a Tesla, but that would defeat the purpose. The goal is to have a fun, zero emissions commuter and not tie up a bunch of money. That's also why I started with a used car and scoured to find a good price so I'm not taking something brand new and throwing a bunch of it's value out the window modifying it. The aim is to get it where I want it to be for less than $20k.

Here's where I'm at now on that goal:
- Car: 2015 eGolf SEL with 16k miles: $12,525, including fees. I have dealers license so am able to purchase at Manheim wholesale auctions. This turned out to be a good thing since the lionshare of the used market is off lease cars in CA being sold by VW at auction
- Shipping from CA $1,249 (shipping wiped out any wholesale value I had in the car, but I really wanted an SEL, was running out of time and couldn't find much on the east coast)
- Wheels and Tires: $1,241.07
- Seats: $734.48 shipped

$15,749.55 so far

For the wheels and tires, I wanted to improve handling and grip without totally killing range. It seems the biggest detriment to range in the wheel tire category is weight since rotational mass causes a big parasitic loss which not only hurts range, but saps power and acceleration which would defeat the purpose not only on range, but performance. I also know that going with really wide tires would sap range and acceleration and have diminishing returns on handling. So I wanted light wheels and grippy, but reasonable tires and while it doesn't add to performance, i wanted them to look purposeful, like the eTrophy race cars which actually runs 18" wheels and 245 width tires. In the end i settled on 17" wheels to keep the weight down, but with the right offset to maximize the track width and 225 width wheels to provide some extra grip without too much added rolling resistance. I landed 17x8 et35 Advanti DST Storm S1 wheels which are not the lightest at 17.5lbs, but only 1lb more than the lighter and much more expensive options. Tires 225/45ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I know a high performance, high grip tire like the Pilot 4S is costing me some range, I've run these tires on other cars and they're just too good to pass up. Great grip and predictability in wet and dry, compliant and smooth and theel great in all conditions, even when they're cold. I don't need the range so I figure I should indulge and use my favorite tire when I'm driving in warm enough weather for it. I tortured myself trying to find the best performance/low rolling resistance option, but I just couldn't pass up the Michelins in the end.

As for how it all works? They're great. The car feels faster and I'm not sure if there's any truth to that or if the grip and visceral feel just gives me more encouragement to mash on the accelerator. It also has a much more confident command on the road. On center steering is sharper and there's no more squealing the tires on crosswalk paint when trying to get out of the way quickly at an intersection. While I don't have loads of data to go off of, I would say I've lost less than 10% on range and efficiency. Before the wheel and tire swap, I was showing 4.5miles/kwh, now I'm averaging 4.1-4.2miles/kwh. My drive is 15 miles back and forth to NYC from suburban NJ to Manhattan. It's 300 feet of elevation change, but mostly downhill on the way in to work and while I typically can manipulate my schedule to avoid the heaviest traffic, it sill probably 10 miles of light to moderate traffic highway cruising averaging 50mph and 4 miles of coasting through the tunnel or stop and go city traffic. One thing on range (and I'm sure someone here knows the science behind this) is that like wind resistance, the rolling resistance has a compounding impact as you go faster. So the loss in range and efficiency drops much further if I'm heading home late, have no traffic and can boot along at 70mph for most of the drive when compared to my normally moderate highway and traffic driving. All in all though, a great improvement in performance ane for d feel with only a minimal impact on range.

I also got the GTi seats in. They bolt right up and since they were from a MK7 Gti, the connectors plug in. I just need a VAG/COM computer to I can reset the airbag and seatbelt codes. Fro me this is a massive improvement as I've really become spoiled by sports cars with high bolstered seats to hold you in. It feels more purposful and sporty, but I find the bolsters to be more comfortable too. (BTW, if anyone in the NY Metro area wants my leatherette seats , they're for the taking)

Next up will be springs. Tried for Eibach, but they were on backorder. I have a set of H&R springs now that will be going in soon.

H_vpQBu0ymXvcUKqjuybFzZaC8NqqCB8HAYkWCu8PtwV-4FV9hONBPLP4lYm19lt9fUnaOMkvHmrLhbJ53QYVSxmBbQkQcqavgrqkE43f5rRe4FrGTZCFQ5RTbgC1PL69GigZPwromjkW5xioUgky3uvl-MP0tur1Vw2Gd2UmRAkTrFwGNOMstb27hFfkKLsQlxqDSIMkaTusnSjlQbNBGBoTLylZS-xkhnEik-mo5LLiFtqNHIWBcCOCC1TCtK4d5lnAwbg0ROFIbRu4VEAuGm1uHqtjkLG-1B6TSrSIBJoNN1h0xYUxhxiH8Te3q3797ge_6V4tt8dH2CGoCeiTEUUjDxcopbYN-uJYl65HhI4C6_xWe-VzWyypAtPz2aZLuCKVHuqGPY0dR_Rgv1xuzFOYhCHFI9dON0GNAaLu-I2CE2U07kyQU8WadGUI8l-gJW9h3V7RMeleEXDpyIP6knwv-jBUNS4hfe47fobCkL6kY7TqTXaU_EkYxklEbOk16snBxxZgTTUJTkwj4k5egCPRQEFBMwV06nvGQ8pu9cRi7tNp0lcWU1RYYDDaZBuHKrcyOsX9RvguFebqUE2nV24UVOtqWD-chs75O9rea4CPPfC5h0sxPr2PVkpo2lfVK4kACJo-n_yYevU-ECo38eOolM2FWg4t3ExbGHg0oyChJAzgZB1J55b3MnS3DSXYavN4KwWbAly_PBuK24hRgR_wj0ez7wcd2LBNufMZO8VzAEk_g=w1796-h1346-no

ob9DogVOnOrkBoGk-d3kTt1vy6d-b1HyOPdUtb2MjGCR7yqqAegS9r8MfeDUCeR2EI1h3vJhnZ0vgizj5bAu9UgNij6zvJplmKMlcoPQwMDLZKWfwa1ShIqjhPUKIvytXrIVr8cIx0pz5l3_4fSEPZP2E0Iu_RGgZ2MykUj9CPJLuiYTiRIdINPe-sS5OLI9mf0hC9CB0tsvSUMpuwaEO_bvvJngsWd3JbcKswowK_n5za2k3lR_HH3C4UT0AP7Y8MYsL8O6iE7V1BjscO5mjjXzd4As5oBnn33L57kYpK6VEw3J1mA24UM-9OwDPhU7bwJxrdtfYa8tHCCAwb59D7nc8rdOiSCGCHcrwoXYMeDJ1UT_8h2qXZNz6dt0_MtX8nfi6sDLpDJhAtgqER2goaq3IClvnAMuhOAkj8efVXPn-FJyASRIzlRN1QKpdYJXaHPEO6qgDQCOg4NMrlY9okfpLctRyZbbNXQH3n69b1bd0RPlEFttlsWtY3oOt-vMk2RIEqe1xdycL-BKzMs8QYMlK5UbNsbnvOxQ_WVbNXrMgicO9MaL7L7RCuAMORVbKqS-xlDYfvyWkjs__c2vfnU3XEiKsfIzdCfawa7n0ZaJjnXnfkYkpY_0eahACuuGSC-nRoieQGs9dimYxw9R-YYUER4LbzxtYm9URcAobiiwu2gLCeaOk6SfwwLBjaW4G0lFE3PNDUf7k-S9Pup-dQ9B1mF8ftEtDjAkKLwbvzNCP766JQ=w1796-h1346-no

wGrHGAt59kutBc-vpLfq0NHAKBe76xpcvVUWUykJp-zaLfXGIcT5ntpiETqfCvZhExoutthtb4G2TzjTyCH9TafwkkXsFEAtHNLOsIskvMPmPgdYybx0OJWq8Mx2gH2Kmu88tCnhL3Ki0r7dCUHk0n1XoWA5uNR4h_FrVKJcbCEJ6u06bMkTMmrmtYBu0GU9gnb_uKvkoTy2AFwWkXk8t9f1clGuXw3w2BPYr2jTYGKJOfIAYsUm4OWqbmBKLuHIGp-TVzX6FVovhuZJE406br94NJAdw4LSHoLMOZqc9obNxKzjzz1kJhMrexwtKh8Zw7xn9RSVom6qhlgjP4BizRLVbw1CuAuDy6fRjn8eEYCzPKKtwLLjhFUI490JEFuNDZdF10v7kDok-dXNe5-W1BH4ybNFSPUgf1IF7kHqOiKNRpm8OvgG2k3XWwvYHUPaBhN8LDVazTqBVABo9F9LYdeCo4qu3sLoBJfyy0gmGYNM2ae6f-ZWxMm5GWJGvEocHlPVRsCJXahxhhMKglTfHhsrbmBflBL5NS1XIkbIcPEYpSQ3S-oqXSizeynRJz2QKAZfoIFOAHXopyGjSvARPihT3d72CBoZHqjAwgaVG3e9MDLIJfr3voTec0WQ7q0Rc87mNDaiHdgSeoIKlCIulsyOCCAP6mcFCzJjtxDmOe3nkyw0auWwHohTJ0XjhRS-gy6DXmi6pq2gh15r6T2R9zKt9LQM92PgH3vVmP2p1RpXwGC6tw=w1796-h1346-no

yKRWHEntyXGSxvlb6Lfz7eujeY01oaRiwPQYjmznqY1DrH9GNwN1cVtVyVbf8FIQS5JRJF4cZdVIjVvGjveK41gc6DGZ1TiIqME9QKsBHXnPYaxhvCTzeJLmZizYXHxhUwuRItLQrwbGyv_6HYCOwW6dcmyM3oI78iXiivtxUbpjQNwGx46RG9mwExTvmiN7krW-HPhHBnDxY6S72s5UzhzD6Vq6LWEzXWseSRZL7vy-fMoKcyN6yUOa_N2gTTrKbf97jNfnS2sOnfgX3ZGVayXgzz2P9NWWZ7IJWq2mldS0ocG5OuSHdgUU5Bw5GdmY5GJ8y4ECfHA8CdMueDNz_CJY40SESyHmS2JCpVasHv5r4WiD6QceJ96DzM7uYkSXkdq27nOPTR5ZFDzbxrPQ8S7D5qeSqNnZyjQvIeC4qGheKbbsLNg0_urqjKqqW3gO6WfBfQT2yGQ97AfgYuS9WEijvn_8yaGuVCpeqa9RcPZe8szViTq6L0p8yrtGRzbYgbWiJSr6vbqaaUa3QZaJqcwIM1i91vas_j70ZiFOWqkAI6ii4oPGijwD1vqzqgHxRpYyzlieNyzW9a98aWuHdo_PVFL1zAQsaijit5Qv1PIv2Qb1_YzuFx5xCrA9Np8TtlzbyB5NIgXC9F4BAqBT5WYxPfEaVmebHpTUCSEfTdLQ1HY7LtjYX5tbSM4BLlBCL5yt4Zlf1dGbTQ_wpQeOdYLt1mqcTVaRsyC2zg7OJR1E_WDSZA=w1796-h1346-no

YDLl3x8OZdPF08Ma6sv1ECixybFLHmTwIxajWuKqQcunsU1oUmEh9Z2alPAO9YXy-Yb-va7hJlRx2RqaMbbaML0Yx6FOZl0gvobjL3WVkTisbvkFrUZz0UdGLnitXfUN7FvdSWtz-xvJMdIetp0OW_BGE6E5LDVNK9CcdHnFyhG6XSUqgv0Hyi7vopoWqO-R-LzmzB2n0L_UYm_0tn9FoBZYhNdQ10MrT8Anw39viRLm3eYroM6zKSxWPhfYHFosZ8UtGyJgK413GMijMggkh3joncjeXQ-Ou5WeYY36bg2WqS7iunagTNNlJ2Yk0ytHaILpTLUUgDizr05WeqrCs8L5fXa3OdJ4JKEBpp2FW9El6ykvSswWfetjAGmN8xHU05hXW7b66wO1gKfm28GiYidlXhILfJHpH9AeK2KLwaxoOVXvgUAbFBoXH7kGGljaXQoNeeKPQrvUA4BOQxjdoT3Pw32D-AoWhbPQhOHGfrnBujccn1N3f8BxoUYInoQ4qfgbO4x5GZd_omGQycdgAJQYMNxdNkT15OvTaECBQ9cGSEyU9fGticQeMnNrwTTbsT0-t2CT_5uB7gaPB2MTi7jKLMN0wCCxdTWJTYvgW4htO9Klk1bl4uxoRZbltKo6Q2Yelv6akvJU85M7g_ewigbJBlPoHRdCCzcGmx0HSiJ1SOh-s8UHQ0rPOa0Q9xNHwxFnuXQVzfdXN8yykZBjuTLJPcCGA1Sj0nvaXPueHhKmpY8MIw=w1796-h1346-no

wD6qOeGvR3_JIYLb2xaP7r86Q3I1YboXTdyKoYMw3RcCojTwzZpTWRHsn7MMhKrCsifFNS4IrM3IyHgeaoL08oDeNhKcReTHDNq7VTi-VqTeYEScF72TJolBoJLMcLVLp15R6rnkOhkxr_0WDkuOSDmOSCFANeeo_QpvKJSN5Ci3FtxWd597QrIkpuO9yv-lrYg-PyugHs9pp4oVsk7HJr5oTnoOt8LwJkQMICkvBRidn9hESKwcVIgKrPLxg7Al2AaE1mvQAtoR3f_YYoS01JJ0Z8zNhpr55JmVbb04I1puXawo_pEBbe5YPJoHaSy9dK5pgIsYC-DC5j8EFUIRUj0dRTybdI6cMhT5NOOtjWwDrLaJ1wv9pVhQfaivACD85c6HjOvSKPnWh2INDX8OX2rmzyZQjwZZEGZXoCY8rMZt7v47kixvUJzjCXjb1E-SMRS0YU0mypXF2z_QJsegOHJfOTMbWQpBBefdJvQpvOAUPB06pDGYW2L4JWKaUZJtvIZc_xh3waGt5G23Gjo8l0cHxU5PJGWGKHPy0scGIanlRSr5eL200F_rKHZ0S-3S78buKAxMUVcHuZUfTyZGON3aqJcPHIBHxPUJF4NXBjwgeNT0KgVMLMg7EgtltvKfKKVigz1irSmAK0yOmlEWVrrpFayUeurViJUGF32ay7KvZ11HYZ4EZc-oGnBNI1Cr6sgGDKWa885yBX4HRf9KSj7qV0CMVHoJ-Fhj_m0a5CIqrsiMGw=w1796-h1346-no

UwnPswaItAmXzHGtkSfo3TSIFaLtWpMEHeNBcnNHFhvYutiyRua5ibtCgm66x9VWmW6luCgPe6iJxlwtyNwozU-r8CTh6eAvhcOMrMpmjiyf-7KW78BYOAbSH-Qua1WCFFUkDs-XXfI3ITlUszsIlaaTbzEcB0PTSrWgN_MkVatppRwIvmPp6nIdP7TurCMkANSdfaRxc8atGZfukgj7CIgRwLDpkniwATJqqhtwZQoBdmWk-sLj-aQE-52HTyLHZnOZCNezr2ihXONalLH-3BUXPzNtNXZ5-90Va2ypebb45dAJMg14JOdGTtkYiShXAzU8FTjwcgFqELHOdSjoTvY2w01eezhiQO8xUmsKB3p2MKiK7ihJlMz4xRjq45JrgDH5GULlnfnCwdozh47li__M9Cpf5Za79w-A-8LPjGIBpQIQgB5kK12kUICzkJU0UvaABjwW4B35zhQk2S4vzJMqdI8BcFNci2G2YTKIbW0wz_pvkxcv0ZoPfQ8v09-c90P8GGHS5W6WgLyL9zHRtxvzu_TrzL_CSQqlBCkQ9IeZ2Js1ky-Zk7ODvwsqVzbBp2eyPOf-HOtNrFaJ46IAHsg6baEGFSseBmavn1dWZzHfeLMpG8VHqDKXX3qAf8Dbq2gfIJTdG9akOUpEX3aLhPPF-y_1VMQMtV4ryBX0wT9CsBSqHWrblWAj0n3r5n5NB_-xxreiudv_YhMDRXRXh32XvW2Y4zFuc2RemFJhbAUl6WEgiQ=w1010-h1346-no

To me your modifications look terrible.

cccmanhattan said:
Hi all, long time. Sorry for the lack of updates, been a wild year! So when I started really looking for more performance, I decided I had to ditch the 2016 and move up to a 2019. More battery and slightly bigger motor, why start with the smaller motor if I'm looking to go faster. It's also nice having the full driver aid suite, OBDeleven for more customization and CarPlay.

Anyway, I found my perfect spec a 2019 SEL in Urano grey and got to work.

I brought over the Avanti Storm's, Michelin Pilot Sports and lowering springs from my 2016, but this time got bilstein sport shocks and struts meant for a lowered car. With the stock struts I was just banging off the bump stops too much. With the Bilsteins, I still hit the bump stops if I get caught by a harsh bump, but its massively improved. I also got the full revozport RAZOR 7E aero bits that were developed for the eTrophy race cars. Quality stuff, I opted not to put the rear wing on, but all the rest is on and looking great. Last bit is a set of grey tartan GTD cloth seats, rears are in, but I need to swap some things over on the fronts to get everything to work with the OBDeleven n this car.

I still haven't been able to crack into anything on the drivetrain so all my upgrades are really handling only, but I really do love the car. I've had the good fortune of driving a lot of amazing cars, everything from Shelby Cobras to Mclarens and even the Porsche Taycan and honestly, I look forward to getting behind the wheel of this golf every time I get it in. While it's not sickeningly fast like the higher end EVs, it's quick, instant and handles amazingly. I aslo really appreciate that without hauling around a massive battery pack that I don't have a need for, the car is so much lighter than the rest of the EVs out there which pays massive dividends for effeciency and handling performance. I also run blizzaks on the stock rims in the winter. Driving through four seasons on winter tires in the cold weathe and sticky Michelins in the warm weather I'm acheiving between 3.5 and 4.5 mi/kwh and can regularly get to 115-120 miles of range. While I'm sure there are plenty of people making it to 130-140 miles or more with the stock setup driving conservatively for my purpose the losses are minimal when compared to the performance gains and fun factor.

I've even had some contact with members of the product team at VW. i've pitched the idea of giving me some support crack into the drvetrain and get a bit more performance out of the drivetrain. I'm not sure if anythign can be done with "tuning" at risk of reducing longevity of the motor and battery, but I'll keep pushing the idea and see if I can get anywhere. With a little bump in performance, this car would truly be an electric GTi and if I ever find a way to follow through on my fantasy plan of putting a second drivetrain on the rear axle, I cold have an electric GolfR.

That's all I've got for now, but if I make any progress to crack in the the divetrain I'll be back.

JhXw4l0.jpg

8PbuAw8.jpg

5kL8D7u.jpg

0lGYSBr.jpg

XWCMKRn.jpg

jiysxRy.jpg

Zk1xmWn.jpg

r3AYWnJ.jpg

tG7ge3A.jpg

J1xpyPv.jpg

Those wheels look like crap. I like the stock ones better.

" Those wheels look like crap. I like the stock ones better"

Agreed, they look like cheap Subaru replicas from Walmart.

haters gonna hate.
I like where this is going.
I've gone from mk1-mk4. GTI's and TDI's. I just picked up a 2019 egolf sel premium. LOVE IT. This thing is a true golf first, and an EV second.
Wheels, tires, drop, and few cosmetic pieces done by previous owner. I'm looking to reduce unsprung weight and rotational mass next.
Anyone done coilovers?
Sway bars?
Rain guards on the windows?
I think there is room under the hood for a small 'frunk' space to keep, idk, cleaning supplies? lol

@cccmanhattan what Blizzak's did you put on? Debating between the Blizzak LM-005 and the Conti Winter Contact 860/870 - best in test on several review sites.

Also through some research, the stock Ecopia 422 is actually really bad when it comes to rolling resistance. Tires such as the Conti PureContact LS and General AS-05 / G-Max have a lower rolling resistance 29-30MPG vs 28 MPG of the Ecopia (Source: Tire Rack)

I have been told by several performance shops that flowformed wheels are the lightest, and Superspeed is what most people use for their Tesla's

I haven't done anything yet to my e-golf, but definately wanting to - as indicated in a previous post.

Nice to read other e-Golf owners are doing the samething. I just got an 2019 e-Golf and i am in the marked for new wheels. Just because its nicer to look at.

I am going for the Concaver CVR1 in all black. 19inch with a 225/35/19 tire. The wheel and tire are only a little bit heavier than stock because how the rimms are made. I think the rim is 10.8kg and the original 9.5kg or so.

I got a spring set from Eibach for a 3cm drop.

Just done the tinting of the windows (see photo)

Next stop is polish the paint and put the wheels and springs on in:)

cvr1_plabla.jpg

I purchased my 2020 eGolf used a few months ago and loving it! Car is fun to drive and is so practical too. Added roof rack and decided to upgrade the wheels and tires to sharpen the handling of the vehicle.

Attachments

• myGOLFs.jpg
    myGOLFs.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 2,317
  • myGOLF2s.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 2,317
Back