eGolf2015

Car-Net update on 6/2/17

Well, it looks like VW has done the impossible and made the Car-Net app even worse!

First, after installing the update I was required to enter my email address and Car-Net website password, plus the 4-digit PIN. Not sure if that was a one-time thing or if it will all be required regularly.

Here's a list of features they appear to have removed from the app with this update:
1) vehicle status (locked, unlocked, door open, etc)
2) lock/unlock/honk/flash features (for those lucky enough to even have the lock feature)
3) current odometer reading and miles until next service
4) trip data
5) ability to create and edit charging schedules (not that it worked before anyway)

And here's a list of things they appear to have added or improved with this update:
1) Absolutely nothing

Has anyone else tried the new update yet? I am about to try restoring my iPhone to get back the old version, as awful as it was.
2017 e-Golf SEL
2016 Golf Sportwagen SEL
f1geek

Re: Car-Net update on 6/2/17

The new update works fine for me, so far. VW took away the vehicle status, locking etc. features previously for my app install since I don't pay for car-net access. Yeah, it may be a bit worse than before, but I use it mostly to turn on the heater and since it's summer now I won't be testing that for a while. The web portal seems to work ok. As you can tell, it doesn't bother me that much as based on my interactions with dealers and VW USA, it's pretty clear they aren't that concerned about these perks.
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior, purchased in early 2018
2015 e-Golf SEL leased for three years, returned in early 2018
forbin404

Looks like the IOS app now matches the Android one.
2017 Kia Soul EV+

2016 e-Golf SE (Returned)
2015 Fiat 500e (Returned)
johnnylingo

Mine is pending....sounds like they did a full re-write and took away some features while adding different ones. Hope they re-add the door locking feature. That was useful.

2019 e-Golf SEL white purchased 2/26/2020 * ChargePoint Home 32a (wired)
2018 BMW i3s REx in Mineral Gray purchased 6/12/2018 w/ Giga, Tech, Parking, CarPlay, Harmon Kardons, and of course Moonroof
Verkehr

It does seems to me that the app was re-done from scratch. It's more basic but status updates actually work now, which is a nice improvement. Perhaps VW will flesh this out over time if it's now handled in-house.

Also, removing the account number and just requiring the same credentials as the car-net web portal is a nice change.

Here are some screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/bstWh
2016 e-Golf SE | Ebusbar BEV-H02A10 EVSE
forbin404

much better looking than the android version.

Looks like the new team finally got a working app.
2017 Kia Soul EV+

2016 e-Golf SE (Returned)
2015 Fiat 500e (Returned)
johnnylingo

forbin404 wrote:Looks like the new team finally got a working app.
Can't find the thread, but it was reported a few months ago that CarNet was moving from Verizon to in-house or vice-versa. This was why some of the usage data got lost and things glitchy for a bit.
2019 e-Golf SEL white purchased 2/26/2020 * ChargePoint Home 32a (wired)
2018 BMW i3s REx in Mineral Gray purchased 6/12/2018 w/ Giga, Tech, Parking, CarPlay, Harmon Kardons, and of course Moonroof
jasonring

Temperature no longer display in Celsius. :-(

And there is no way to set the unit.
RonDawg

eGolf2015 wrote:First, after installing the update I was required to enter my email address and Car-Net website password, plus the 4-digit PIN. Not sure if that was a one-time thing or if it will all be required regularly.
If past experience continues to hold, this only seems to happen after an app update or if you have to reboot your phone.
Here's a list of features they appear to have removed from the app with this update:
1) vehicle status (locked, unlocked, door open, etc)
2) lock/unlock/honk/flash features (for those lucky enough to even have the lock feature)
3) current odometer reading and miles until next service
4) trip data
5) ability to create and edit charging schedules (not that it worked before anyway)
1 and 2 were disabled for me prior to this update as it requires a subscription. I have never seen 3 or 4 on either the app or the web version.

5 was never editable for me on the app. I had to use the web portal to do that. I could only turn the timers on or off via the app.
And here's a list of things they appear to have added or improved with this update:
1) Absolutely nothing
I like the new home screen which shows me the charge level as a series of 10 large bars arranged in a circle as opposed to a bar graph; much easier to read. You also don't have to switch screens to start/stop charging.
2015 eGolf SEL (originally leased, bought out lease)
former EV: 2012 Nissan Leaf SV (lease returned)
Range Extender: 2017 VW Golf Alltrack S 4Motion
RonDawg

One new feature that just popped up on my phone: it reminded me my doors are unlocked. It's in my private, enclosed, locked garage, so that's why I didn't lock it.
2015 eGolf SEL (originally leased, bought out lease)
former EV: 2012 Nissan Leaf SV (lease returned)
Range Extender: 2017 VW Golf Alltrack S 4Motion

Return to “Car-Net”