2015 SEL price

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forbin404 said:
Rsolaregolf said:
We already have the a 240V outlet where we plug in next to the 110V outlet and changing the receptacle isn't an issue. Why isn't the supplied 110V charger "full time" if it work for our needs? In reading the manual I didn't see anything about the 110 being only temporary. Just wondering.

BTW the battery was charged to over 7/8ths on the gauge when I checked it this AM.

Got to run, driving the TDI to VT in a minute.
It's not 'Temporary'. It's just inconvenient to use the 110 charger when you are low.

Anything that VW stores under the trunk, spare tire, inflator, tire jack, lug wrench, tire sealant, etc, is all for infrequent or emergency use. Otherwise it wouldn't come stored under the rear trunk storage space cover. Believe me, it's temporary, or emergency, and slow as hell.

The germans "kit" things together based on useage or frequency of usage in certain locations. If it's in the back, in the spare tire well, where there is no spare tire, it's designed for very infrequent access and use.

The gauge read 90 miles when we started driving down to Franconia today, 5 miles. When we got there it read 104 miles. Driving uphill/ sightseeing a bit and letting my much better half discover the joys of EV driving as well as "recuperative" braking we arrive home with 78 mile range having driven a total of 13 miles. The juice gauge is a bit below 7/8ths now.

We're happy and will use the SLOW 110 charger for now. We can always upgrade if we feel the need too. Being retired isn't all that bad, really!

BTW the other key fob didn't give the "weak key fob battery" warning so I'll swap it out sometime.

great ride.

Drove over to VT this AM in the TDI, 112 miles, 49.8 mpg on the computer.....great ride too.

the key fob battery that gave the warning read 2.98V, the other that worked fine today, i.e. no warning message was 3.01V.
Doesn't seem like it should matter, .03V

Rsolaregolf said:
Drove over to VT this AM in the TDI, 112 miles, 49.8 mpg on the computer.....great ride too.
Well, you can look forward to a $5000 check from VW for your passat TDI. check the news. Since I own 3 tdi's a 2014 passat, and a couple of TDI touaregs, VW basically just paid for my e-Golf SEL!

JoulesThief said:
forbin404 said:
Rsolaregolf said:
Why isn't the supplied 110V charger "full time" if it work for our needs? In reading the manual I didn't see anything about the 110 being only temporary. Just wondering.
It's not 'Temporary'. It's just inconvenient to use the 110 charger when you are low.

Anything that VW stores under the trunk, spare tire, inflator, tire jack, lug wrench, tire sealant, etc, is all for infrequent or emergency use. Otherwise it wouldn't come stored under the rear trunk storage space cover. Believe me, it's temporary, or emergency, and slow as hell.

The germans "kit" things together based on useage or frequency of usage in certain locations. If it's in the back, in the spare tire well, where there is no spare tire, it's designed for very infrequent access and use.

The US-market eGolf's Delphi-branded OEM EVSE is based on the Clipper Creek PCS-15: http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/pcs-15-portable-level-1-evse/

Nothing "temporary" about it. I'm sure if it was not meant to be used as a primary charging source, VW would have mentioned it in the manual, like Nissan does (even though many people do use their OEM Nissan/Panasonic EVSEs that way with no problems).

As far as placement in the trunk, VW didn't set aside a special cubby for the EVSE like they did for the tool kit. It's just placed loosely in what is normally the spare tire well on other Golf models. It's no different than the other crap I keep in there like my reusable shopping bags. Compare that with Nissan who did place the OEM EVSE in a special "backpack" that is secured top and bottom to the car itself, so it doesn't shift around. So VW placing it below the false floor has less to do with "infrequent access and use" and more to do with "there's no other place to keep it."

RonDawg said:
The US-market eGolf's Delphi-branded OEM EVSE is based on the Clipper Creek PCS-15: http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/pcs-15-portable-level-1-evse/

More than just based on, it IS the PCS-15. From my interaction with Clipper Creek, they told me that they source all the parts to Delphi, and Delphi assembles it and slaps their sticker on it.

From what I've seen of the i3, they use a re-badged CC PCS-15 as well.

quick update, the 110V charger is working great for our needs. No reason for us to spend extra $$$ for a faster unit as our eGolf is usually driven once a day for ~ 40-50 miles and can recharge easily overnight.

Back