charge at home vs. at the office?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nswartzb

trying to confirm that it is better to charge at home where we pay about $.11/kw (off-peak night 11pm-7am using 110V), rather than at the office where we pay $1.00/hr (using 220V).

assuming we drive our 2016 e-golf SE (3.6kw onboard) about 36 miles per/day, and therefore have about 50 miles left at the end of the day, doesn't that mean we use about 10.0kw and have about 14.2kw left in the battery, so charging at home for 8 hours to get 10kw back costs only about $1.10 (10kw x $.11), whereas charging at the office for 4 hours would cost about $4.00 (4hrs x $1.00; 4 hrs is half of 8 hours b/c office uses 220V rather than 110V)?

Can someone please confirm if my general estimates are correct, i.e. it is about 3-4 times cheaper to charge at home.

Please note: I'm only looking for general confirmation -- i know that: battery usage can vary if the car is driven very hard or gently; home and office charging can vary in voltage; if we drive more than about 36 miles it would take longer to charge at home and we might not get off-peak rates, etc.

That's about right. Your SE only takes 15 amps. A workplace location is likely to only deliver 200-208VAC. That is about 3kW, so in one hour you only get 208*15*85%=2.65kWh into the battery. $1/2.65kWh = $0.38/kWh Whatever you charge at home will be $0.11/85% = $0.13/kWh if you can fit all your charging in the Off-Peak period. So, it's about 3X more expensive to charge at work given these parameters.

Once again, the on board 3.6 kw charger on the 2016 LE gets pinched when being billed for electricity by the hour. Even more so when they bill you for parking time in addition to electricity charges.

i feel compelled to note that, per miimura's figures, even if my SE had 7.2kw on board and i could charge twice as fast at the office ($0.19kwh, instead of $0.38kwh), i'd still be better off charging at home at $0.13kwh...

nswartzb said:
i feel compelled to note that, per miimura's figures, even if my SE had 7.2kw on board and i could charge twice as fast at the office ($0.19kwh, instead of $0.38kwh), i'd still be better off charging at home at $0.13kwh...
Well duh..hehe the charging companies have to make a profit as well.

As I put in the regional section of this forum, nothing beats HOME.

forbin404 said:
nswartzb said:
Well duh..hehe the charging companies have to make a profit as well.

As I put in the regional section of this forum, nothing beats HOME.

And home will be even better if VW ever pulls off a 200 mile range BEV and puts it up for sale.

I suspect we'll get 200 mile range in 2017 or 2018 latest to compete with the Bolt.

Back