Error: Service Vehicle. Leave car in park.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouigb

I've had my e-Golf SEL since August and have had to service it twice since then. I love this car but it's really disconcerting that I'm having problems this early on. Currently it's being serviced with an anticipated 1.5 weeks in the shop.

The problem? I was prompted several times with the error message: "Service Vehicle. Leave car in park."

I pulled over and put it in park with the error message repeatedly showing up. I turned the car off and restarted it to be greeted with a horrible rumbling noise in the engine. My car would not recognize I was in park and subsequently would not allow me to lock the vehicle upon exiting (not sure if it's the fob or connected with the actual issue). I put on the emergency brake just in case and called the service department.

I initially had made an appointment for the next day to get the error message looked at but when I told them about the rumbling noise, they said I should bring it in that day. They now have to disassemble the center console and see why the gear shift is not recognizing the car is in park and deal with the million wires in that area.

I haven't seen anything about this in the forum yet and wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue?? :cry:

2015 White E-Golf SEL Premium

Doesn't sound good and it's not a common problem as far as I know.
Part of the problem is that the dealers do not have many, if any, technicians who are familiar yet with our cars. Yes, when the car is released they will send one person, usually the shop foreman, to a training session on the vehicle. This is unlike a more common model that has been around for awhile where most of the shop crew has gone to school.

Bmwtech said:
Doesn't sound good and it's not a common problem as far as I know.
Part of the problem is that the dealers do not have many, if any, technicians who are familiar yet with our cars. Yes, when the car is released they will send one person, usually the shop foreman, to a training session on the vehicle. This is unlike a more common model that has been around for awhile where most of the shop crew has gone to school.
They wish to control the intellectual data property on servicing the cars, VW techs come and go like flies on dog poop here in So CA, it's very, very rare for me to see the same service techs around coming back to get my cars serviced at 10k mile intervals... they just don't last. Probably because they can't make any money doing warranty repairs for VW, or the dealerships are screwing the techs on warranty pay. New cars don't pay the bills at dealerships, repair work does, out of warranty.

Update: VW has to replace the shift mechanism. Hopefully this will take care of it!

ouigb said:
Update: VW has to replace the shift mechanism. Hopefully this will take care of it!

Have them "red tag" the part for overnight delivery from Germany, instead of waiting a week or so for parts delivery, since they are too cheap to keep replacement spare parts in inventory here in the USA, to save money.

Back