I should have done more research

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWeGolf84

I was thinking about buying an electric car. I got into a small car accident a few weeks ago, so I figured its time to buy a new car. I looked into the Volt, i3, and eGolf. Loved the eGolf and the price! I did some research online (mainly the VW website) and from what I gathered the only difference between the SE and SEL model were: headlights, navigation screen, leather seats, and other driver's assistance trinkets. Did not really care much for any of these. I could not see anywhere on the website what kind of charger the SE model had. When using the "compare" feature on the website, it appeared (at least to me) that both trims had the 7.2kw charger. I also viewed a bunch of YouTube videos on the eGolf and continued to think that both trim levels had the same charger (maybe majority of the videos were for the 2015 model). Finally, I asked the sales person at my local dealer (VW of Huntington Beach, CA): are there any mechanical/electrical differences between the 2 trims levels. He said, "no, just headlights, drivers assistance, navigation and leather seats." I actually asked him twice: 1) when I test drove and 2) before I purchased. Well, I now realized that this is not the case. SE is 3.6kw and SEL is 7.2kw...sucks! I would have definitely opted out for the SEL or waited and bought the SE with the optional charging package (which I just learned about). I'll be speaking my mind to the dealer. I doubt that they will be able to do anything but still... this is a huge difference. They need to stop misinforming their customers! Additionally, I think the VW website needs to clearly show this as a difference between the 2 trim levels. At the end of the day, I am the one who signed the dotted line. I should have done more research!
Anyone that is looking into purchase a 2016 eGolf, do your research, BE AWARE, SE = 3.6kw charger (now there is an option to add a 7.2kw charges for ~$1,600), SEL = 7.2kw charger

Though I was initially looking only at Fiat 500, MB B and Ford Fusion, Focus and started looking at the Golf only at the last minute, I was aware of the SEL having the 7.2kW charger. However there were no SELs to be found in the SF Bay Area. I got interested in the Golf only because of their low lease on the SE hence didn't mind too much and got it. Based on my usage in the last few days (still too short a period) I haven't missed the 7.2kW charger. I have charged it overnight using a regular outlet and till you are regularly charging it at every opportunity I don't think you will miss it. Not even sure if that 1600 extra is worth it. My opinion might change if I start using it as a daily commuter and have to charge it at work.

Mine is a daily commuter. (Approx 35 miles a day)
Here's the difference I see.

At Home, it charges in 4 hours instead of 2. (And it charges after 10pm to get the best rates)
At work, it charges in 4 hours instead of 2. (Plugged into the chargepoint outside)

That's it, I see no difference in my driving habits and when the lease is over I'll be sitting at the 10k requirement.

Thanks for your posts and word of comfort. I currently have a 45 mile commute to work (each way) and chargepoint stations available at work but still had I known about the charging differences I would have most likely held off until the SE+7.2kw model was available. In the mornings there is no traffic and I am actually using more than 45miles worth of range. Considering the fact that chargepoint charges you based on time used and not electricity, the cost of charging is 2x with a 3.6kw charger vs 7.2kw charger. I'm also in the process of installing a 220v line in my house which should help. Bosch wants $2k for it! I will most likely have a local electrician do it
I guess my gripe here is with the dealer and VW. They need to let their customers know what the difference is. If the salesperson does not know what the response to a question is, don't make it up and lie.

VWeGolf84 said:
When using the "compare" feature on the website, it appeared (at least to me) that both trims had the 7.2kw charger.

On the 2015 models, the charger is the same. Very different story on the 2016s. VW dropped the charger and the price to better compete with the Fiat 500e, Focus, and base Leaf. Unfortunately they did a horrible job of explaining this on the website and educating their salespeople.

I found myself getting confused when shopping a few months ago so I made this comparison chart to help others.

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/yZm8Z

I'm sure you've now learned the larger lesson: anything a saleperson tells you should be taken with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to technology. What's on the sticker is what you're buying.

In DK we have no 7,2 kw charging at all. Only 3,6 and supercharging. I have absolutly no issues yet and only care for supercharging and normal charging at home. Everything else is of no usd to me

Thanks @johnnylingo! This is great. Wish I saw this before I bought the car! I'm going to print it out and tape it to every eGolf on their lot, ha.
I'm hoping that in the near future I would be able to upgrade to a faster charger for a reasonable cost (although it doesn't sound like it as of now but I am keeping my fingers crossed).
I will definitely be going back to the dealer and having a chat with them

I leased the car for a great price but I was a little fuzzy about the charging. I knew that they got rid of the DC fast charging, but didn't understand that there were 2 levels of level 2 charging. but since I did a 3 year lease and my commute is 11 miles each way, that would not be a deal breaker.

In general, I'm not impressed by car salesmen to begin with. the dealer had one guy that was the electric car guy and he was pretty good, but he too was not up on the differences. I agree that they should have kept the 7.2 charger!

think about it. if you had to go somewhere...say a shopping mall, dinner, or someone's office for a meeting, you are likely to be there for an hour or two. lets say you get 3.5 miles per kw, for 2 hours, that's 48 miles of added range with the higher rate charger vs. 22 miles. (note that actual charging rates are often less than what the charger is rated at.) This is huge! in an urban setting, charging stations are becoming common place, a 7.2 charger will make a real difference in reducing range anxiety.

the other thing that irks me is the cheap steering wheel! this thing is right in front of your face all the time, a decent wheel would make the car feel so much nicer! these two things would not have cost much but would really make a difference.

To me waiting 2 vs 4 hours for a refuel are both unacceptable waits if I'm not home or at work. If I'm at either location, then it's irrelevant. The charging price difference between the two are also so minuscule that it doesn't matter to me.

I would agree if I didn't have to charge at work everyday. But I do. So it all adds up at the end. I'm getting more and more angry about this.

forbin404 said:
Mine is a daily commuter. (Approx 35 miles a day)
Here's the difference I see.

At Home, it charges in 4 hours instead of 2. (And it charges after 10pm to get the best rates)
At work, it charges in 4 hours instead of 2. (Plugged into the chargepoint outside)

That's it, I see no difference in my driving habits and when the lease is over I'll be sitting at the 10k requirement.

You may find it a hindrance when you are charging in public, and there is a 2 hour charge limit, and you really do need what you can get for a charge in 2 hours from a 7.2 kwh charger pack.

Always perform your due diligence long before signing on the line.... caveat emptor

for what it's worth, I too use the e-Golf for a 44 mile commute between Marin and Redwood City and I charge at home and at work. At work, the ChargePoint L2 chargers are 6.6kwh SHARED and there is always someone occupying the second plug (lots of stalking spots and refreshing the app for availability during the day).

What this means is that when I do get plugged in, my 7.2kwh charger in the SEL does nothing for me since I'm splitting 6.6kwh, and in reality (with commercial power), getting max ~3.2kwh.

Thanks @thecrave! I didn't know that the KW are split! I get to work pretty early so I'm always the first one to plug in but about an hour later all the stations are used; so, I'm assuming I would only be able to draw 3.3kw max anyways as you stated.

maybe i'm missing something (like you get home very late at night, and leave very early in the morning), but if you have easy access to 110V charging at home, your commute is 45 miles each way, and you have easy access to 240V charging at work, can't you do the following:
1. charge all night at home using only 110V (this is what i do), so you should have a full tank (~85 miles in normal mode) in the morning
2. drive 45 miles to work, so you should still have something like 1/2 tank (~40 miles in normal mode)
3. charge at work for 2 hours using 240V, so you should have something like 3/4 tank (~60 miles in normal mode)
4. drive 45 miles home, so you should still have something like 1/4 tank (~15 miles in normal mode)
5. repeat steps 1-4

Charging by the hour on the dual head ChargePoint stations that split the power when two cars are charging is inherently unfair since the $/kWh or $/mile cost is not consistent.

Also, the cheapest power in California is only available if you get an EV rate plan that has lower rates from 11pm-7am. Those 8 hours will only fill about 45% of the e-Golf battery with the provided 120V charging cord. So, after you go through the first 4 steps above, charging during the Off-Peak window does not get you back to full to start the cycle over again.

Yes @nswartzb you are correct this is exactly what I do. This is my first EV so I still have range anxiety. I would like to be fully charged before driving. So what I was originally complaining about is it would cost me 2x to charge at work using 3.6kw charger vs 7.2kw charger and if I knew that SE only had a 3.6kw charger I would buy the 7.2kw version instead.
However, it sounds like I can only pull ~3.3kw from a Chargepoint station if both terminals are used (if I understand that correctly). So at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if I had a 7.2kw charger since I would only be able to draw 3.3kw from the Chargepoint station at work. I'm still bummed about being misinformed at the dealer... :|

@miimura I am in the process of installing a 220v line at home which should help my situation. Should cut down my charge time in half if I understand it correctly.

miimura said:
Charging by the hour on the dual head ChargePoint stations that split the power when two cars are charging is inherently unfair since the $/kWh or $/mile cost is not consistent.

Also, the cheapest power in California is only available if you get an EV rate plan that has lower rates from 11pm-7am. Those 8 hours will only fill about 45% of the e-Golf battery with the provided 120V charging cord. So, after you go through the first 4 steps above, charging during the Off-Peak window does not get you back to full to start the cycle over again.
My EV Plan is 10pm to 8am.

And On Peak is cheaper than Tier3 pricing anyhow so it's win / win for me.

FlyPenFly said:
To me waiting 2 vs 4 hours for a refuel are both unacceptable waits if I'm not home or at work. If I'm at either location, then it's irrelevant. The charging price difference between the two are also so minuscule that it doesn't matter to me.
This is exactly how I feel about it, as well.

miimura said:
I'm in California and pay a flat rate regardless of time. My utility company doesn't have a TOU plan, but it's also a co-op. My wife and I are installing solar in the next couple months, so it's irrelevant, but we pay 11 cents/kwh. I grew up in San Diego and our rates were about 4x that. In Irvine, the university paid our home's utility bills so I don't know what the rates were there but I suspect similar so I do sympathize with the rest of Southern Californians.

Back