Instantaneous consumption while coasting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GadgetGav

I am almost certain that before I took my car in to have the AC issue looked at, when I was coasting in D the instantaneous consumption in the dash display would always show --.-
Today when I release the accelerator and coast in D I get a variety of numbers showing there. I can see how they can calculate a consumption figure even when you're coasting, I just don't think it ever happened before. Do other people see this?
The stranger thing is that it doesn't come up every time (sometimes it just goes straight to --.-) and when it does display, it doesn't always climb steadily to 99.9 before switching to --.-. I would have thought that coasting should just steadily improve the instantaneous consumption since you're moving but not supplying any more power. Maybe because your speed is dropping, that means the consumption doesn't climb continuously, but the displayed figure seems to jump around a lot. I like it better when it went straight to --.-

Does anyone else see this behavior? If so, has it always done it for you?

Good thinking! I was so glad to have the AC back I didn't think about it being correlated to that running.
I'll try turning it off (briefly) on the way home.

I think it was something to do with the fan / AC being on. At least when the numbers were changing and I shut the climate control off, it went straight to --.-
The numbers still seem to roll down slower than they did even when climate control is off, but maybe I'm just imagining it...

Back