is my extended warranty expensive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baozipu

I just got quotes for my new 2019 e-golf.

VW Platinum coverage: 10 yr/100,000 mile $2460

10 yr/120,000 mile $2670

10 yr/150,000 mile $3260

I feel it is quite expensive. I don't know the reliability of this car in the long term, so I would like to know if it is OK for not carrying warranty after 3 years.

Way too expensive IMHO. The big fault would lie in the batteries, but you already have that covered for 8yrs/100,000 miles. I don't think you'll have $2500 of break downs over the next 10 years in other systems. The big ticket items I've heard about was some of the 2015's having problems with their charging port breaking, which was expensive ($1-2k to fix), but everything else on an EV should be fine. There's still normal car parts (like CV joints), but there's significantly less risk on an EV than on a gas vehicle.

To give you a comparison, for my '17 GTI I paid $2000 for a lifetime wrap around warranty. I think even that was expensive, but I've already had the water pump on it break (with only 30k miles on it no less!). So I'm almost guaranteed to have more problems on the GTI than I ever will with the e-Golf, just due to the number of parts on it, and my warranty was much cheaper than what you were quoted at.

I'd walk away from those extended warranties if I were you.

ZeroMoon17 said:
To give you a comparison, for my '17 GTI I paid $2000 for a lifetime wrap around warranty. I think even that was expensive, but I've already had the water pump on it break (with only 30k miles on it no less!). So I'm almost guaranteed to have more problems on the GTI than I ever will with the e-Golf, just due to the number of parts on it, and my warranty was much cheaper than what you were quoted at.

Wouldn't the water pump have already been covered by the standard powertrain warranty? I'm pointing this out because that's the "gamble" with these extended warranties - what may break in the future that (a) isn't covered by the factory warranty, and (b) after the factory warranty expires, and (c) before the extended warranty expires, and (d) the cost of that repair is less than the future value of the money you paid upfront for said warranty, and (e) any deductible if applicable.

A waterpump going out within the base warranty period 'should' definitely have been covered...

Extended Warranties are like the playing the lottery. The house makes all the money, and a few 'players' (the warranty purchasers) get lucky. There are many people who will post their anectdotal stories about how their extended warranty paid off because this-or-that - congratulations, you won the lottery! Most people will not get their money's worth from playing this lottery.

If the warranty offerer were losing money, they either wouldn't be offering it or would raise the price until they were making money - simple economics really.

My dealer offered 10yr/100k ext warranty for my 2019 eGolf SE for $1907. I bought it but cancelled it within the first 30 days to get full refund.
One sales pitch they used on me was the screen replacement is $600.
I heard a friend got the ext warranty for $1750.

I had a 2016 eGolf for 3.5 years with no out-of-pocket maintenance expense.

2016golfse said:
Wouldn't the water pump have already been covered by the standard powertrain warranty? I'm pointing this out because that's the "gamble" with these extended warranties - what may break in the future that (a) isn't covered by the factory warranty, and (b) after the factory warranty expires, and (c) before the extended warranty expires, and (d) the cost of that repair is less than the future value of the money you paid upfront for said warranty, and (e) any deductible if applicable.

Yes it was covered under the base warranty. My point was that if the water pump has already gone out after 30k miles, I can only imagine how many problems I'm going to have with it post the Warranty period. Sorry that wasn't clear in my first post.

Back