L1 charging from 30% to 45% takes 12 hours?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackgolf

had my new 2019 egolf for a week and charging time seems normal on level 1. but yesterday , I plugged it in for 12 hours, to my surprise, the battery only increase from 30% to 45%. is it normal?

Not normal. If you are charging at 10 amps (1.1 to 1.2 kW using a ~110 to 120 Volt circuit), you should recover, at worst, about 11 kWh in 10 hours. Since the net capacity of a new 2019 e-Golf is about 32 kWh, 11/32=34% SoC gained. Maybe you have the charging amps reduced in the e-manager?

thanks. I did set the charging current to MAX. Will try to charge it again tonight. I heard loud bang yesterday when I move from R to P, hope it is not related to the charging.

f1geek said:
Not normal. If you are charging at 10 amps (1.1 to 1.2 kW using a ~110 to 120 Volt circuit), you should recover, at worst, about 11 kWh in 10 hours. Since the net capacity of a new 2019 e-Golf is about 32 kWh, 11/32=34% SoC gained. Maybe you have the charging amps reduced in the e-manager?

Were You charging when you heard the “bang”? When shifting was your foot on the brake pedal? Loud is subjective for an EV as it makes so little noise.

no. I back into the garage and heard big bang when I shifted to P from R. then I charge the car.

f1geek said:
Were You charging when you heard the “bang”? When shifting was your foot on the brake pedal? Loud is subjective for an EV as it makes so little noise.

I think the bang is normal if the car is not on level ground and is actually moving a tiny bit as you try to engage park- not that it is necessarily good for the drive train. I have heard this the very few times I did not have my foot firmly on the brake pedal when shifting into park when on an incline. I have also heard this in gas powered cars with an automatic transmission under similar circumstances.

my garage is almost leveled. anyway, i don't think this bang is related to charging. Tonight or tomorrow, I will try public L2 charge station for the first time to see if it is slower than expected.

f1geek said:
I think the bang is normal if the car is not on level ground and is actually moving a tiny bit as you try to engage park- not that it is necessarily good for the drive train. I have heard this the very few times I did not have my foot firmly on the brake pedal when shifting into park when on an incline. I have also heard this in gas powered cars with an automatic transmission under similar circumstances.

Back