Mobile Hotspot on 2016 Egolf SEL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgottlie

There is an option to configure a mobile hotspot on the Egolf. I did this, and my phone is able to see the wifi hotspot and connect, but i don't get internet connectivity. How does the wifi come to the E-Golf? Is this through the carnet connectivity? Is there something else i need to configure?

You didn't give your location. You mentioned SEL, so I think you are talking about an American e-Golf. There are many more options in Europe.

Yes, I'm in the USA (CA). The software has the option (on the menu screen) to configure the mobile hotspot. I am able to configure the hotspot, and my phone can see the hotspot, but there is no internet connectivity. I'm wondering whether this is a supported feature.k

Did anyone every find an answer to this? I'm in the US and I also have a Hotspot setting in the Infotainment system. How does this work?

Thanks!

garymar said:
Did anyone every find an answer to this? I'm in the US and I also have a Hotspot setting in the Infotainment system. How does this work?

Thanks!

What does the Owners Manual say on this? Have you read the Owners Manual?

Just a theory, but could it be the hotspot feature doesn't actually include internet access? Usually that needs to be purchased separately through Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc. At a minimum I'd assume it has to be activated and terms of service agreed to.

There's no information in the owner's manual about this, and there's no information online. I also called VW through the carnet. They said they were investigating and they would get back with me (that was over a month ago, and they have not responded).

My guess is that the software is enabled to support hotspots, but the VW 3G service included with the carnet in the US does not support hotspots.

I don't have an e-Golf yet, so I can't check against your description. However, here's a procedure for configuring the infotainment system with a mobile hotspot, say, from a mobile phone or a UMTS stick: http://volkswagen-carnet.com/dms/bilder/pdf/141110_WLAN_Client_Car-Net_EN/WLAN_Client_Car-Net_EN.pdf

DepletedZPM said:
I don't have an e-Golf yet, so I can't check against your description. However, here's a procedure for configuring the infotainment system with a mobile hotspot, say, from a mobile phone or a UMTS stick: http://volkswagen-carnet.com/dms/bilder/pdf/141110_WLAN_Client_Car-Net_EN/WLAN_Client_Car-Net_EN.pdf
That PDF describes systems and features that are only available on the European configuration of the VW e-Golf. Discover Pro is the software system that was installed on the 2015 e-Golf in Europe.

Well, the silence is deafening. Let's try the opposite tack. There's a wifi menu too to connect to external networks. What do I get from connecting the car up to the Internet via wifi?

Has anybody ever gotten the hotspot to work? I agree that it is probably not available in the US (even though it is an option in the menu).

Also, does anyway know of any reason to connect to your home wifi? Maybe just faster load times when you are entering data or using Android Auto/CarPlay?

Back