Should I buy on cars.com or similar site?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems most have purchased their egolf through dealerships, wether local or out of state. Has anyone bought their egolf online? I see $23-25k prices. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Slaphappygamer said:
It seems most have purchased their egolf through dealerships, wether local or out of state. Has anyone bought their egolf online? I see $23-25k prices. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

What would $23-25k be getting you? If you're In the ZEV states, that gets you a brand new SEL, assuming you are able to benefit from the full tax credit and state rebates.

Edit: Oh you're in Santa Cruz. Hi neighbour. I would hope to be getting a new car or a 2018 SEL for that price if you're here in CA.

Where would you be buying it from? If its not from the dealer I don't think you'd be getting any sort of tax credit or state rebate... wouldn't that be a used sale? From what I can tell, cars.com is just listings for new cars at dealers, or used cars. Need more info :)

Here is the listing at https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/768907975/overview?aff=share_other .This is in Maryland and it would be shipped to California. Looks like I’d get the same tax credits too.

Slaphappygamer said:
Here is the listing at https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/768907975/overview?aff=share_other .This is in Maryland and it would be shipped to California. Looks like I’d get the same tax credits too.

I am confused. Why would you not buy from a local CA dealer? You can get the same prices here as well. Check the prices paid thread for more info.

Just buy locally. You will not get it for a lower price from a dealer outside and trucking it to California than just buying it here. I had a good experience at Hayward VW and I bet you could email their internet sales manager and ask if they’d match that price.

ive never been good at negotiating, but ill go with a local dealership. well within in 80 miles anyway, lol.

Hello from Santa Cruz!

I would recommend either Capital VW or Sunnyvale VW as the best options closest to SC. We bought our 2015 SEL used at Capital VW and it was the best new car dealership buying experience ever for me. Sunnyvale probably offers a better selection but I have no personal experience with them.

No reason to buy much further out of the area unless color and option choices are not available locally. I do not recommend Santa Cruz VW. When we bought our 2015 they were several thousand more for same year and color SEL with more miles and wouldn't budge on price at all. We bought during a "black Friday sale" right before Thanksgiving.

Good luck and hope you find the one you are looking for!

Hanlee of Hilltop in Berkeley, I think had great pricing on '19 SE's in the 23.5k range a month or two ago. Might want to check them out, too.

Awesome tip! Maybe we sit until the end of year sales. I just called about a 2019 egolfSE for 23kish and that price was only for lease. I want to buy it, no lease.

Back