Vehicle only charging to 83-86mi. Was getting 100+

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcvw

From day one, no matter what charger I used whether it was the 110 that came with the car or the 220 that I installed I never received a charge that was less then 100mi of range. On average I'd say it would hit around 106-110 pretty consistently. I can't think of anything that has changed but the car now wont charge past 86 miles no matter what I do. Although I hadn't made any changes to my ToU schedule I tried messing with that with no effect. I've tried every setting at my disposal, or at least that I'm aware of and I can't get the car to charge past 86 miles.

What changed? Time to schedule an appointment at the dealer?

The miles remaining of charge calculation is based on energy in the battery and miles per kWh driven recently. In the bottom of the right large dial there is a second dial showing actual charge of battery.

Is it charging to full? What is your recent miles per kWh? Has it gotten colder where you live?

PMC2015 said:
The miles remaining of charge calculation is based on energy in the battery and miles per kWh driven recently. In the bottom of the right large dial there is a second dial showing actual charge of battery.

Is it charging to full? What is your recent miles per kWh? Has it gotten colder where you live?
As JoulesThief likes to say, the battery meter is a 'lie o meter'.
I get better results at looking at the analog Battery left meter than I ever did from the miles left indicator.

forbin404 said:
As JoulesThief likes to say, the battery meter is a 'lie o meter'.
I get better results at looking at the analog Battery left meter than I ever did from the miles left indicator.

On the Nissan Leaf forums it's called the "Guess-O-Meter" or "GOM." The one on the VW is actually more accurate!

As far as range drop, cold weather brings less range for a variety of reasons. Cold batteries don't hold as much of a charge. Cold air is more dense and harder to push through. Snow/slush/standing water also increase consumption.

Thanks for the replies.

The dial gauge did show full. My average consumption lately was quite a bit lower then for the past 6 months or so. I took my normal drive only paying attention to the dial and I had plenty of range.

Lesson learned, stop paying attention to the range guess.

Thanks again.

I just saw this thread, then on the website of my local paper (Boston Globe) saw an article about how much the fuel economy of ICE cars suffers in the cold.
According to them, when the temperature gets to 20F ICE cars lose 12% in gas mileage or up to 22% in short trips of 3 or 4 miles. Hybrids are worse with 31-34% worse mileage in cold conditions. They seem to get the numbers from FuelEconomy.gov

Maybe we don't have it so bad... :)

GadgetGav said:
I just saw this thread, then on the website of my local paper (Boston Globe) saw an article about how much the fuel economy of ICE cars suffers in the cold.
According to them, when the temperature gets to 20F ICE cars lose 12% in gas mileage or up to 22% in short trips of 3 or 4 miles. Hybrids are worse with 31-34% worse mileage in cold conditions. They seem to get the numbers from FuelEconomy.gov

Maybe we don't have it so bad... :)
I'm in Cali, haha, the lowest we get is 50deg, and I see my miles go from 101 to 83 on a daily basis.

Back