Washing Car, it kept 'locking' during the wash. Worried?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forbin404

I forgot to post this as I usually take the VW into the drive thru car wash but,

when I was using the self serve car wash, when I spraying water or using the soapy brush, I noticed my lights are flashing every now and then.
I tested it last time and noticed it locked all my doors (pulled on back door to test). Of course my remote is in my pocket and the flashing occurs when I working near one of the front doors but I'm worried.

Is this constant locking cycle doing something bad to my system?

I could possibly leave the key in the car, but I really don't want to find out I've somehow locked myself out at the car wash.

Any opinions?

It is only bad if it is continuous and you do not let the motors cool off. They are rated for intermittent duty. Years ago I had an installer burn up a motor while trying to adjust it. You really need time to cool.

I also lock and unlock my car while washing it. As long as it is seldom it is fine. What kills it is a bored kid locking and unlocking the car constantly.

Remove your keyfob from your pocket and put it on top of the coin box slot machine when washing the car. Problem solved. You can't go anywhere without the keyfob, so you won't lose it.

JoulesThief said:
Remove your keyfob from your pocket and put it on top of the coin box slot machine when washing the car. Problem solved. You can't go anywhere without the keyfob, so you won't lose it.
Wow, I'm floored

That was the best advice I've ever gotten from you.

JoulesThief said:

No, that is a loss of key control. Wrap your key in aluminum foil and keep it in your pocket.

This is normal behavior. It's even stated in the owner's manual (I'll try to find the reference when I get home). It says that during washing, the car may lock/unlock because of the water touching the handle area that triggers the locks. Also in the manual says that the locking motors can be triggered a few times in quick succession after which they won't work anymore for a few seconds (5 iirc) to prevent damage to them.

This used to happen all the time in my 2014 Jetta TDI with KESSY. I've learned to just take the key out of my pockets and leave it on the front porch otherwise it would lock/honk/unlock every time the car cleaning sponge went over it.

For anyone concerned about this. Here is the excerpt from the owner's manual:

"The door handle sensor surfaces can be activated by a strong stream of water or steam if a valid vehicle key is within range of the vehicle. All windows may open if you turn the spray of water or steam away from and then back onto the door handle sensor surface in quick succession. If at least one power window is opened and the sensor is continuously activated, the convenience closing feature will automatically close the windows."

This is from the 2017 eGolf manual.

Back