What are the Pros and Cons in Minimum Battery Charge level

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whyeGolf

Question: Pros and Cons on optimal setting for the "Minimum Battery Charge Level"? (2016 e-Golf Owners Manual)
From the e-Golf Owners Manual, page 29, e-manager settings > Minimum Battery charge level - see page 252.
Page 252 doesn't cover the reason. So you roll to page 253 "Special Considerations for the High-Voltage battery"

Therefore, how does this "Minimum Battery Charge Level" setting behave ? Is it only to prep the battery in the 40% to 60% range - assuming the user may park the vehicle for a long time ? I also assume that VW never lets the actual battery to charge over 90% or drain the Lithium Ion battery down under 10%.

Also - the statement on page 254, left column, 2nd paragraph, "... charging... when the charge level is above 98%...
You are telling that VW allows the circuits of a fully charged 98% battery to be added to with tapering off to prevent over charging.

Trying to understand

What is the recommended setting and why?

It's the level the car will charge to immediately when plugged in, ignoring charge timers. If there are no charge timers the car will just charge to 100% anyway.

In my case I have charge timers set to 60% right before departure, with 40% minimum charge.

If I plug in after a trip with less than 40%, the car will immediately begin charging to 40% and stop there, waiting until right before the next trip to charge the rest of the way to 60% with my charge timer.

As far as I'm concerned, there are two reasons for this feature.

1. You don't want to leave the car at extremely low state of charge. So if you rolled in at 5% and plugged in with timers that may not charge for 12 more hours, you could have it immediately charge to 10% or 20% to keep the battery in the most healthy level window.

2. You may need to drive it again later in the day, so you could set the Minimum to charge to what you consider to be a minimum useful charge level to run more errands.

Thanks - that makes a lot sense. Mine is set to 30% (factory default), so I think at least 40% to 60% is reasonable to keep the battery healthy.

The 2016 e-Golf default minimum SOC is 30% (~30 miles range)? That seems ridiculously low because the range warning pops up with 18 miles of range left. My 2015 e-Golf defaulted to 100% SOC when I first got it.

Back