[Bay Area Leasing] Good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinukon

Hey,

Trying to take advantage of the year end deals and wound up talking to a dealer for a E-golf.

Got quoted the numbers below- Does it look like a good deal? Its my first time leasing so would really appreciate the help.

SE- 36 month 12K miles a year.

1354 due at signing ( tx accessory, document fee, acquisition fee, dmv fee and tax on rebate(?))
216 dollars a month + tax

The dealer said this includes the 7500 rebate + 1500 for not being a VW customer.

Regards

That's about $1500 more than what I got for a deal but mine is 10k / yr

Hmmm..that's $900 on mine, I think your deal isn't the best.

I got $206 no down OTD. 10k

I got another quote for 0 down.
It just takes the 1354 down and applies it to to the monthly lease cost.

256 per month + tax. 0 down, same terms. 36 months 12K miles a year.

Still pretty high for a "year end deal". I think people are paying those terms on 2016's.

Find a new dealer. I know there's a better deal out there.

Dealers are getting massive bonuses from corporate for moving VW's off the lot. Just gotta find one that's hungry enough. Took my three dealers to find my deal a few weeks ago.

I meant the calendar year end 2015- not model year.
I think the prices quoted are for 2016 cars. not 2015. I will confirm that with my dealer- if its a 2016 is that a good deal?

You said it's a SE, not SEL, so it must be a 2016.

Please carefully consider the reduced charging ability of the SE compared to the others. People have said that SE cars with the Charging Package have hit Bay Area Dealers now, so think carefully before you pull the trigger on an SE without the Charging Package.

thanks for the info on the chargers. Just looked it up.

From what I understand the SE comes with the 3.6 v charger. So if I have a 240V outlet it should charge overnight right?

rinukon said:

From what I understand the SE comes with the 3.6 v charger. So if I have a 240V outlet it should charge overnight right?
Yes, it will charge overnight.

The fast charge option is about $3k more.

bizzle said:
rinukon said:

The SE with the fast charge was a $1645 option. http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=685

If you charge publicly, you will be hard pressed to find a 240V outlet, most of them will be 208V or less, so a charge rate of 3 kw or less might be possible on 208V.

JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:
rinukon said:

The SE with the fast charge was a $1645 option. http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=685

If you charge publicly, you will be hard pressed to find a 240V outlet, most of them will be 208V or less, so a charge rate of 3 kw or less might be possible on 208V.
That's the price tag. But you know as well as anyone, maybe even better than most, that the dealers do all kinds of shenanigans with price tag numbers.

In order to evaluate the actual cost, you have to look at the details. You can see from the down payment, the monthly payments, and the residual value that the bottom line cost for that option was nearly $3,000 dollars higher than other leases posted on the forum.

Regardless, if your commute is less than the range and you plan on charging at home (and you won't benefit from lucrative metered charging from your electric company), the fast charge is a near useless "feature." In theory, you could use it one day and it could help with resale value.

I have an SE without fast charge and haven't missed it. I'm glad I had the option to not pay $1600 dollars for a feature I won't ever benefit from having on the car.

Just keep negotiating with him.

If it has the DCP Fast Charge package, that's a good deal.
If not,
Well just negotiate your total payment before State Rebate at about $7500. (at 30k)

Right now you are at $8900 (36k) and I don't think $1400 is worth an additional 6000 miles.

bizzle said:
JoulesThief said:

That's the price tag. But you know as well as anyone, maybe even better than most, that the dealers do all kinds of shenanigans with price tag numbers.

In order to evaluate the actual cost, you have to look at the details. You can see from the down payment, the monthly payments, and the residual value that the bottom line cost for that option was nearly $3,000 dollars higher than other leases posted on the forum.

Regardless, if your commute is less than the range and you plan on charging at home (and you won't benefit from lucrative metered charging from your electric company), the fast charge is a near useless "feature." In theory, you could use it one day and it could help with resale value.

I have an SE without fast charge and haven't missed it. I'm glad I had the option to not pay $1600 dollars for a feature I won't ever benefit from having on the car.

If you had the fast charge feature and could have found a fast charger in San Diego to use not too far out of the way, you would have used it the first day, driving home.

YMMV, but IMHO, I'd much rather have the fast charge feature and not need it, than Need the Fast charge feature, and not Have it. Difference between owning and leasing. I'm not too concerned what my e-golf is going to be worth in 3 or 6 years, as long as nothing breaks on it. If in the interim, if VW comes up with a replacement 30 kw battery for more range and capacity in the same foot print, and mine fails warranty... that would be OK I guess too. Much like what Nissan has done with the 2016 Leaf.

JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:
JoulesThief said:

If you had the fast charge feature and could have found a fast charger in San Diego to use not too far out of the way, you would have used it the first day, driving home.

YMMV, but IMHO, I'd much rather have the fast charge feature and not need it, than Need the Fast charge feature, and not Have it. Difference between owning and leasing. I'm not too concerned what my e-golf is going to be worth in 3 or 6 years, as long as nothing breaks on it. If in the interim, if VW comes up with a replacement 30 kw battery for more range and capacity in the same foot print, and mine fails warranty... that would be OK I guess too. Much like what Nissan has done with the 2016 Leaf.
It would have been rather difficult to use a DC fast charger between SD and Imperial County given that no public ones exist.
Of course, that's beside the point since my wife and I made it home in one charge.

That also ignores the ridiculousness you're suggesting that someone pay an extra few thousand dollars to use a fast charger one time at the beginning of a lease and then exactly one other time at the end of three years. Worst case scenario, I could have called AAA ahead of time and gotten towed home and I can have VW roadside assistance tow me to the dealer at the end of the lease. Hardly worth the expense of a fast charger when AAA is less than $100 per year.

I'm certain I am in a better position than you to decide whether my wife and I would have preferred to have the fast charger on the car or not. You prefer to have one, which is why I'm glad that it's an option as difficult as that may be for you to comprehend.

Well that went south quickly :)
I dont think I ll miss the fast charge, esp since paying extra for it is not an option. I have a 65 mile roundtrip commute and plan to charge overnight at home.

bizzle said:
I only mention the reduced charging ability of the SE because I want people to think about it before the sign on the dotted line. I'm not saying that everyone needs it, I just don't want people to get a car that doesn't have it and regret it later because they didn't know better.

Just registered as my brother in law is looking at an egolf (I have a 500e, and had a Volt before that).

Besides the useful leasing info, I wanted to point out that the 2016 eGolf SE has a 3.6kwh charger.
That means even on level 2, it will take you around 6.5 hours for a full charge, compared to more like 4-4.5 hrs for the 7.2kwh charger.
It appears that you don't just get DC Fast Charging, you get fast charging PLUS the 7.2kwh vs the 3.6kwh.

This is most important at places like my workplace, where we have so many EVs now that we're constantly jockying for charging time.
Those 2 hrs will make the different between someone getting home that night, or not.

If you have a preferred bay area dealer for leasing, do shoot me a PM . He's getting offered the national lease numbers right now and I'm sure he can do better.

bizzle said:
JoulesThief said:

It would have been rather difficult to use a DC fast charger between SD and Imperial County given that no public ones exist.
Of course, that's beside the point since my wife and I made it home in one charge.

That also ignores the ridiculousness you're suggesting that someone pay an extra few thousand dollars to use a fast charger one time at the beginning of a lease and then exactly one other time at the end of three years. Worst case scenario, I could have called AAA ahead of time and gotten towed home and I can have VW roadside assistance tow me to the dealer at the end of the lease. Hardly worth the expense of a fast charger when AAA is less than $100 per year.

I'm certain I am in a better position than you to decide whether my wife and I would have preferred to have the fast charger on the car or not. You prefer to have one, which is why I'm glad that it's an option as difficult as that may be for you to comprehend.

What's the difference between your $3000 quote and $1640? :mrgreen:

I bet with a 7.2 kw charger, I would have made it home from the dealership you bought from, to El Centro, no problem, in one day, instead of having to overnight charge at a VW dealership near El Cajon.

JoulesThief said:
The difference is the actual cost to the person in the thread you quoted and the MSRP, which are two very different things when it comes to purchasing cars and options.

I bet with a 7.2 kw charger, I would have made it home from the dealership you bought from, to El Centro, no problem, in one day, instead of having to overnight charge at a VW dealership near El Cajon.
Interesting bet. You apparently have a very loose definition of "one day" and "no problem." Since you're retired you can choose to sit around while your car charges up for 6 hours but that wasn't something my wife or I wanted to do. The "problem" we encountered was as easy as pulling into the dealership and going to a family friend's house for dinner and getting up in the morning after a nice visit. We would have done the same thing if we had to wait 6 hours for an SEL to charge up, which is what it would have taken to charge from empty to full at 200 volts even with a 7.2kwh charger.

You are also apparently still having a problem comprehending why VW would give their customers a choice in the matter.

bizzle said:
JoulesThief said:
The difference is the actual cost to the person in the thread you quoted and the MSRP, which are two very different things when it comes to purchasing cars and options.

Interesting bet. You apparently have a very loose definition of "one day" and "no problem." Since you're retired you can choose to sit around while your car charges up for 6 hours but that wasn't something my wife or I wanted to do. The "problem" we encountered was as easy as pulling into the dealership and going to a family friend's house for dinner and getting up in the morning after a nice visit. We would have done the same thing if we had to wait 6 hours for an SEL to charge up, which is what it would have taken to charge from empty to full at 200 volts even with a 7.2kwh charger.

You are also apparently still having a problem comprehending why VW would give their customers a choice in the matter.

An SEL doesn't take 6 hours to charge. 2.5 at home, maybe 3 or a bit more publicly.

One day is 24 hours. You'd be surprised what you can do in 24 hours. Ask a Navy Seal some time.

Charging it at home is irrelevant to the conversation because you are claiming that you could have driven an SEL from Murrieta to El Centro in a day without any problems so the conversation is about publicly charging an SEL vs. an SE while traveling 150 miles at 75+ mph.

The counterpoint I made was that the average, non-retired driver would have to wait an unreasonable time to charge it up even with a 7.2kwh on-board charger. I said it'd take 6 hours while you say it would take 3 at a public charger. Now let's see the math to see who was closer to the mark:

Public charging voltage sags to about 200v and a 7.2kwh charger operating at about 85% comes out to about 5kw/h.
That's somewhere between 4.5 to 5 hours. Strictly speaking, it's right in the middle of your and my estimation.

In real terms, it's irrelevant. Reasonable people, not trying to "win" an internet discussion, are equally unwilling to sit at a public charger for 3, 4.5, 5, or 6 hours. That is, even if it had only been a 3 hour charge, my wife and I still would have gone to our friend's house, had a nice dinner, watched a movie, had a nice sleep, and gotten up in the morning and continued on our trip.

Most people understand a day of driving to be about somewhere between 6 and 10 hours; and in the case of a limited range vehicle being driven for the first time would opt to travel those hours during daylight. I've never heard of anyone calculating a day of driving as 24 hours and I don't need to ask a Navy Seal to confirm that. I have enough long haul truckers in my family to know that you're talking out your ass to make a ridiculous point.

Back