[Bay Area Leasing] Good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bizzle said:
My display is telling me my inspection isn't due for another year, too. But what terms of the lease are you referring to?

In the legal fine print of my lease, there's a clause that says I will pay for all service and maintenance that is recommended by the manufacturer.

cctop said:
bizzle said:
My display is telling me my inspection isn't due for another year, too. But what terms of the lease are you referring to?

In the legal fine print of my lease, there's a clause that says I will pay for all service and maintenance that is recommended by the manufacturer.
There isn't anything for them to actually "service," though. You can go to any America's Tire and have your tires rotated and your brakes checked or use one of those free multi-point inspection coupons that always seem to be available.

There seem to be a couple questions that need answering.

That section he's referring seems to be making scheduled maintenance the responsibility of the leasee rather than the lessor. It doesn't seem to be a mandate that he must go to a dealer and have specific services done to the vehicle.

The question arises, however, in how this plays out in regards to the traction battery warranty. The only thing on the list of service items that can arguably be tied to the longevity of the car is the annual traction battery check. Is there something that I have not read that ties the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty to those annual battery checks? The Leaf's mandated the annual checks in order to maintain the battery warranty but they also had to offer them for no cost to the customer.

Additionally, the dealership I leased my eGolf from offers a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain. I asked how this relates to the eGolf but the finance guy said he didn't think it did (but gave me the sheet regardless as standard procedure). Now that document does say that I need to maintain the vehicle according to manufacture specifications and intervals in order to retain the warranty. That might be something to retain but I don't know how it pertains to what my eGolf actually has in terms of "drivetrain."

Hi, new to forum.

I just got a 2016 SE for $4688 down (before $2500 CA rebate). Monthly (including bump up from 7,500 mi to 10,000 mi, prepaid service and wear and tear protection) is $160.xx.

Traveled from San Jose area to Marin on initial full charge. I coasted into my home driveway in Eco+ with a 1 mi left.

Good deal, or no?

ETA: I got the white HOV stickers immediately

BobLoblaw said:
Hi, new to forum.

I just got a 2016 SE for $4688 down (before $2500 CA rebate). Monthly (including bump up from 7,500 mi to 10,000 mi, prepaid service and wear and tear protection) is $160.xx.

Traveled from San Jose area to Marin on initial full charge. I coasted into my home driveway in Eco+ with a 1 mi left.

Good deal, or no?

You just paid about $10,500 for a 10k lease on a 2016 SE?

Umm....lets just say 'no comment'.
But I'm EXTREMELY jealous you got your stickers immediately, I'm still waiting for mine (40+ days)

forbin404 said:
BobLoblaw said:
Hi, new to forum.

Good deal, or no?

But I'm EXTREMELY jealous you got your stickers immediately, I'm still waiting for mine (40+ days)

Won't I end up paying $7,788? $4,688 less $2,500 CA rebate plus ($160 x 35 mo).

BobLoblaw said:
forbin404 said:
BobLoblaw said:
Hi, new to forum.

Good deal, or no?

Won't I end up paying $7,788? $4,688 less $2,500 CA rebate plus ($160 x 35 mo).
You will however deals running around here are $8000 OTD before Rebate, hence that's $6500 after rebate. This is without Prepaid Service ($700) and Wear and Tear ($700)
Did they give you the $1500 Competitive rebate?

forbin404 said:
BobLoblaw said:
Hi, new to forum.

Good deal, or no?

That sounds like a terrible deal. Does your $160/mo include sales tax or not? If you knew about this forum, why didn't you ask here BEFORE leasing? There are plenty of great threads on here that would have helped you realize you shouldn't ever put that much money down on a lease (if you get in an accident, your insurance will not cover that downpayment), and you could have seen plenty of examples of what other people were paying over the last couple of weeks. Congrats on the HOV stickers though. I'm still waiting on mine. I leased on 12/31/15.

Just FYI, we leased a 2015 SEL (leather, quick charge port) for $238/mo+tax with NOTHING down (the lease incentives covered all taxes, fees, and 1st month payment). That was for 3 years, 10k miles/year. So all in all the 3 year lease costs ($238+$22 tax) times 35 months = $9100. I will also get the CA CVRP $2500 rebate in a few weeks, so actually its $9100 - $2500 = $6600 after all is said and done, including all taxes and fees.

mhathawa said:
Just FYI, we leased a 2015 SEL (leather, quick charge port) for $238/mo+tax with NOTHING down (the lease incentives covered all taxes, fees, and 1st month payment). That was for 3 years, 10k miles/year. So all in all the 3 year lease costs ($238+$22 tax) times 35 months = $9100. I will also get the CA CVRP $2500 rebate in a few weeks, so actually its $9100 - $2500 = $6600 after all is said and done, including all taxes and fees.

You're kidding me, how did you get leather? Can we see your window sticker?

mhathawa said:
forbin404 said:
BobLoblaw said:
Hi, new to forum.

Good deal, or no?

That sounds like a terrible deal. Does your $160/mo include sales tax or not? If you knew about this forum, why didn't you ask here BEFORE leasing? There are plenty of great threads on here that would have helped you realize you shouldn't ever put that much money down on a lease (if you get in an accident, your insurance will not cover that downpayment), and you could have seen plenty of examples of what other people were paying over the last couple of weeks. Congrats on the HOV stickers though. I'm still waiting on mine. I leased on 12/31/15.

Yes taxes are included. And sorry, didn't mean to offend you, I didn't know about this forum.

BobLoblaw said:

As an aside, it's probably really bad to run the battery down to 1 mile left of driving on it, it's considered a deep discharge and hard on the life of a Li battery. I like to try to leave 20 miles of range or more left on the guess o meter at all times when going to recharge.

You can extend your range on a charge quite bit if you slow down 5 or 10 mph to 55 or 60 mph on the freeway, at all times. Good to know, if you really need to do a longer trip on one charge.

Since you can discharge the battery a lot faster than you can recharge it, if pressed for recharging time on longer trips, it pays to drive a bit slower. You can suck 70 to 75 miles out of the battery, driving 70 to 75 mph, in 1 hour, and it will take 3.5 hours to recharge what you consumed at a level 2 charger. If you drive 55, it might take an hour an 15 minutes or so to drive the same distance, but you will have a lot more left in the battery, and cut your charging time down to 2.25 to 2.5 hours.

JoulesThief said:
mhathawa said:

Funny, you got me. It is indeed leatherette. Was just trying to point out the difference between the SEL and SE trims.

And I wasn't offended about the poor guy not asking, I just hoped that people would use this forum to be informed when making a purchase or when leasing. I'm just sorry he didn't know about this forum sooner. Didn't mean to be rude. This forum was a fantastic resource to me when I leased mine last month. The sister forums also helped me lease a Fit EV in June 2013 (myhondafitev.com), and a RAV4 EV (myrav4ev.com) in August 2014.

All of these forums have been EXTREMELY resourceful in every way possible. So many intelligent people like Miimura, that built out spreadsheets that helped people decide on solar and what their electric bills would look like after getting an EV. There is a fantastic resource of supersmart engineer type people in these forums, and it has been integral in my learning experience over the years in the world of EV's. Almost every question you could ever ask about EV's has been answered on one of these forums. From EVSE recommendations, to rate schedules, to maintenance, etc. I've put over 65k miles of all electric miles on my EV's -- Fit EV (44k miles now), my RAV4 EV (20k miles when it was totaled), and now my VW E-Golf (1k miles in last month).

mhathawa said:
JoulesThief said:
mhathawa said:

Funny, you got me. It is indeed leatherette. Was just trying to point out the difference between the SEL and SE trims.

And I wasn't offended about the poor guy not asking, I just hoped that people would use this forum to be informed when making a purchase or when leasing. I'm just sorry he didn't know about this forum sooner. Didn't mean to be rude. This forum was a fantastic resource to me when I leased mine last month. The sister forums also helped me lease a Fit EV in June 2013 (myhondafitev.com), and a RAV4 EV (myrav4ev.com) in August 2014.

All of these forums have been EXTREMELY resourceful in every way possible. So many intelligent people like Miimura, that built out spreadsheets that helped people decide on solar and what their electric bills would look like after getting an EV. There is a fantastic resource of supersmart engineer type people in these forums, and it has been integral in my learning experience over the years in the world of EV's. Almost every question you could ever ask about EV's has been answered on one of these forums. From EVSE recommendations, to rate schedules, to maintenance, etc. I've put over 65k miles of all electric miles on my EV's -- Fit EV (44k miles now), my RAV4 EV (20k miles when it was totaled), and now my VW E-Golf (1k miles in last month).

Good, keep on contributing more from your EV knowledge base here. It's helpful if you take from the board, you come back, pay it forward, and give back too.

As a FYI, being a knowledgeable, experienced BEV owner, perhaps you'd like to share with us the reasons why you chose an SEL to lease. What options were most important to you, that you paid the additional premium for leasing an SEL model, and why?

JoulesThief said:
As a FYI, being a knowledgeable, experienced BEV owner, perhaps you'd like to share with us the reasons why you chose an SEL to lease. What options were most important to you, that you paid the additional premium for leasing an SEL model, and why?

Answering for myself and not mhathawa, but a major reason I went with the SEL over the LE was because of the heat pump. My Leaf had the resistive-type heater and used a LOT of battery power. On pre-2013 Leafs there was no way to turn off the heater without turning the entire HVAC system off, so it automatically ran if the outside temp dropped below 60 degrees F which is the lowest the HVAC goes.

I actually prefer cloth seats over leatherette, and things like leather-wrapped wheel with buttons, cruise control, LED lighting, etc. were nice but the lack of them weren't deal breakers.

But the biggest reason was availability. 2015 LE's were extremely rare, and the 2016 SE and SEL weren't available yet. I got my car during VW's year end event so dealers were leasing these for less money than I was quoted for an LE just a month earlier.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:

Answering for myself and not mhathawa, but a major reason I went with the SEL over the LE was because of the heat pump. My Leaf had the resistive-type heater and used a LOT of battery power. On pre-2013 Leafs there was no way to turn off the heater without turning the entire HVAC system off, so it automatically ran if the outside temp dropped below 60 degrees F which is the lowest the HVAC goes.

I actually prefer cloth seats over leatherette, and things like leather-wrapped wheel with buttons, cruise control, LED lighting, etc. were nice but the lack of them weren't deal breakers.

But the biggest reason was availability. 2015 LE's were extremely rare, and the 2016 SE and SEL weren't available yet. I got my car during VW's year end event so dealers were leasing these for less money than I was quoted for an LE just a month earlier.

Having looked at Nissan Leaf's, both new, and used, at year end, and reading on the Leaf Board, there were 2 things that I considered a must have... either HID lights for driving at night, or LED lights for driving at night, and the ability to, when needed only RARELY in a pinch, have the CHAdeMo, or CCS 80% charge feature in 20 minutes, and the equivalent "dual charger 6.6kwh or 7.2 kwh charger packs on board, instead of the standard units. Those two features would be deal breakers, if the car was without them. The SEL fit the bill, and VW offered me a price that I would have been an idiot to pass up on, when the also tacked on a $2000 VW owners loyalty package in October, 2015

Feb 6th is 4 months with my e-Golf. I've put 3070 miles on it. I've learned a lot about it, I've hyper miled it on an occasion or two. It's just plain really fun to drive around down. It parks easily... it has a lot of bonus features that I scoffed at when seeing I had to get them in the SEL package, that now I find rather nice, though not necessities.

Most importantly, it's a sleeper. Few know it's an electric car. I am fine with that.

mhathawa said:

where did you get this from?

i just stopped by VW Sunnyvale and the deal they offered was 7188 down with 159/mo on a SEL. doesnt seem like the greatest deal based on what others on here are getting.

upod1mm said:
mhathawa said:

where did you get this from?

i just stopped by VW Sunnyvale and the deal they offered was 7188 down with 159/mo on a SEL. doesnt seem like the greatest deal based on what others on here are getting.
Keep in mind it was a 2015 SEL, not a 2016. I leased from Hilltop VW in Richmond, CA on Dec 31. They had 3 2015 SEL's in inventory when I leased mine, yet they only showed 1 in stock at the time.

I still think it was a fairly good deal considering I've just made my first actual payment of $260, which is the only money I've spent out of pocket so far since I leased it. And right now, I can log into my account see that the payoff for the car is $20,234. If I get my $2,500 from the CA rebate, that brings it to $260 + $20,234 - $2,500 for a grand total out of pocket of $17,994. Not too bad considering I didn't have to haggle or anything with the dealership. If there are any more of the 2015's left, I'm sure even better deals are available.

Back