Battery warrantied, but only servicable in 8 states; Edit: false dealer info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could a moderator delete this thread? The info turned out to be false, even though its from a dealer
I dont want to create false concerns

VW should have most of their dealership service departments up to speed by the time the first MEB-based EV we get here in the US (is it the CROZZ?) arrives, which should be around 18-24 months by all estimates.

No one has indicated this will be another CARB compliance car, so it should be available nationwide. They would have to be able to service it everywhere once they're selling it everywhere.

Also, should you have a high voltage battery problem, I would bet that VW would like to look at it to gather data from the failure... maybe not though.

My $0.02: if the battery pack needs warranty repair work, it is VW and the dealer's problem to figure out how to meet the terms of the warranty. If the work is outside of a warranty repair, then you need to worry.

Wow. I live in PHX as well and was planning on buying an e-golf. That's... very frustrating. It costs hundreds of dollars to ship a vehicle, each way. That's absolutely a crock of BS honestly. And BTW my understanding is that the upcoming ID3 hatchback will not be sold in the US, and the CROZZ may not be here until 2021.

Here is a relevant post I found:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:51 am
"I got the same pushback when I first brought the car to AZ last June. I used the fact that I was bringing the car in to have Federal Recall fixed and that VW had an obligation to fix it. After contacting VW Customer Care, the service department miraculously changed its tune and scheduled me an appointment immediately. They actually had to bring in a tech from California to do the service.

I was told that it would not be a problem in the future, and that they would be training their techs to service EVs. This was at VW North Scottsdale."

mtbizzle said:
Wow. I live in PHX as well and was planning on buying an e-golf. That's... very frustrating. It costs hundreds of dollars to ship a vehicle, each way. That's absolutely a crock of BS honestly. And BTW my understanding is that the upcoming ID3 hatchback will not be sold in the US, and the CROZZ may not be here until 2021.

Here is a relevant post I found:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:51 am
"I got the same pushback when I first brought the car to AZ last June. I used the fact that I was bringing the car in to have Federal Recall fixed and that VW had an obligation to fix it. After contacting VW Customer Care, the service department miraculously changed its tune and scheduled me an appointment immediately. They actually had to bring in a tech from California to do the service.

I was told that it would not be a problem in the future, and that they would be training their techs to service EVs. This was at VW North Scottsdale."

I would not let this worry you honestly, my concerns are gone. Here is why:

VW customer support confirmed that there is a 8yr 100k mile warranty on the batteries. This is seperate from the drivetrain warranty.

The chrysler/dodge dealership offered me a full comprehensive warranty on the car also, that goes PAST the VW warranty by 2YEARS, and further told me they would replace the high-voltage battery pack one time in that warranty. For only $12per month added to my monthly payment.

The batteries in these eGolfs must be quite solid for either of them to do that. I am not concerned in the least.

All these questions and concerns were worries that I had prior to signing the paperwork and driving it home. They have all faded. The eGolf I bought was a 1owner who had it as a 3y3mnth lease. People drive lease cars like they stole them. I see no sign of battery degredation, and its 4yrs old with 22k miles.

Dont trip potato chip, keep considering buying that eGolf. Just go buy it. =)

Appreciate the reply. That's good to hear. TBH for a '17+ egolf to be a reasonable purchase for me, I'd be driving the thing till it was about dead. In that context + AZ weather, the battery warranty being serviceable without unreasonable burden is a factor. I suppose these are signs it would be long enough out before anything would have a decent chance of needing warranty service that VW would have infrastructure for EVs nationwide.

I see no sign of battery degredation, and its 4yrs old with 22k miles.

That's great. I'm thinking of buying a '17 with 14.5kmi on it, or a '17 with 6kmi. I'm leaning towards the 14.5 one, as it has DC charging and is my favorite color (grey) :mrgreen: . How have you found the range to be on PHX highways? I'm expecting it'll be a decent chunk less than 125mi if miles are mostly AZ freeway miles, but I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Back