Charger Port Lock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was your car unlocked when you were able to remove the J1772 plug?

I am getting my 2015 e-Golf SEL updated tomorrow and will be testing this functionality.

I have been asking VW for this feature (through the customer care channel) for more than 6 months and they indicated that I was among many who indicated it was an issue, so it looks like VW listened to its customers.

f1geek said:

I am getting my 2015 e-Golf SEL updated tomorrow and will be testing this functionality.

I have been asking VW for this feature (through the customer care channel) for more than 6 months and they indicated that I was among many who indicated it was an issue, so it looks like VW listened to its customers.

No, it was not unlocked. It was on employer parking spot with charger in and when I came to remove plug after it was done I've found that other driver already did it. Usually I've got nasty note about locking charger even though I always take plug out within 10-15 min after car is done.

Also, when it is not fully charged car keeps it locked. I tried to pull it off when it was charging and it did not let me.
Will try that few second hold to see if charger can initiate unlocking but since it's simple plastic button I doubt that.

I'm pretty sure that button is connected to a micro switch which then indicates to a car (at least one with software that acts on the signal) to stop the charging process. On my Clipper creek unit if I put my ear very close to the J1772 plug, I can hear the micro switch click when pushing the plug button. I'm sure there is someone on this forum who can provide a more technically detailed answer about how pressing the button provides a safe way to remove the J1772 plug.

f1geek said:
I'm pretty sure that button is connected to a micro switch which then indicates to a car (at least one with software that acts on the signal) to stop the charging process. On my Clipper creek unit if I put my ear very close to the J1772 plug, I can hear the micro switch click when pushing the plug button. I'm sure there is someone on this forum who can provide a more technically detailed answer about how pressing the button provides a safe way to remove the J1772 plug.

I think nsayer would know and be able to explain the technical side of things on the J-1772 pilot signal standards for connecting and disconnecting the handle.

f1geek said:

I think that's supposed to work that way in theory, but I know with my Leaf that depressing the button does NOT stop charging, as I can still see the charging status lights on the dash still blinking even with the button depressed for a few seconds. But once you depress that button, the slightest tug on the handle immediately stops charging.

Not sure on the eGolf as I always had to unlock the car to get it to "let go", at least until I had the 93B4 safety recall update performed.

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:
f1geek said:

Yes.

Have to tested removal of J-1772 yet with the door locked, like simulating at a public charging place?

Just tested it. Inserted charging handle, locked doors, car won't let go of the charging handle.

This afternoon, after it's done charging, I'll see if it lets go before I unlock the car.

Yesterday I took the 2015 e-Golf SEL to VW for a bunch of software updates (72 F temp control, air con fix (didn't ask for this one), radio fix (VW not ready to roll it out for my car yet), and 93B4 recall). I charged the car to full last night with the doors unlocked. When I inserted the plug to begin charging, I could hear the solenoid extend to lock the plug in the vehicle inlet and then verified the plug was indeed locked in place. During charging I pressed the plug button and charging continued, unaffected. When charging was complete and car was still unlocked, I attempted to pull the plug out - no dice, it was still locked. I got out a flashlight and verified the solenoid was still extended over the plug locking lever. Upon unlocking the car (even though it was already unlocked), there seemed to be a bit of a lag for the green charging LED near the vehicle inlet to turn off, but once it did, the solenoid retracted and I was able to remove the plug. That's the update so far.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:
Have to tested removal of J-1772 yet with the door locked, like simulating at a public charging place?

Just tested it. Inserted charging handle, locked doors, car won't let go of the charging handle.

This afternoon, after it's done charging, I'll see if it lets go before I unlock the car.

As promised, I checked. I left the doors locked (forgot to bring my key anyway). Depressed button but the car wouldn't let go. Released button, depressed it again, gave it another tug and after a short pause I was able to remove the charging handle.

So this safety fix does largely fix the issue of the locked charging handle, though the car isn't exactly eager to give it up either.

OK a bit more on this: even if the car is actually charging (slowly blinking green indicator light next to the charging port), locking the car does NOT keep the charging handle locked to the car. Simply pressing the handle button once won't release it, but giving it a second press (like I did on the afternoon of the 18th) will release it. My previous experiment on the morning of 18th only involved depressing the button once.

So unlocked, locked but charging, locked but charging done, it doesn't seem to matter. If you depress the button twice, it will let go. My guess the 2 button presses is to discourage a passerby from casually unplugging the car.

RonDawg said:
OK a bit more on this: even if the car is actually charging (slowly blinking green indicator light next to the charging port), locking the car does NOT keep the charging handle locked to the car. Simply pressing the handle button once won't release it, but giving it a second press (like I did on the afternoon of the 18th) will release it. My previous experiment on the morning of 18th only involved depressing the button once.

So unlocked, locked but charging, locked but charging done, it doesn't seem to matter. If you depress the button twice, it will let go. My guess the 2 button presses is to discourage a passerby from casually unplugging the car.

Just in case, what brand of EVSE did this work with? Known combinations, so to speak, that do work. Amount of time between depressions of button?

RonDawg said:

Our 2015 without the recent update will not do anything when you press the J1772 handle button. The solenoid pin blocks the latch from moving, but depending on the J1772 handle, it may still be possible to actuate the microswitch under the button. According to the standard, the car should immediately stop charging when it sees the button state change. I have been under the assumption that since VW locks the port, they don't have to follow what the button tells them to do. What you said about 2 presses makes sense if the first press stops the charge and unlocks the solenoid, then the second press actually lifts the latch and allows you to pull out the handle. I can hear clearly when the solenoid moves.

I will be trying to get an appointment this week for our car to go in for its first annual "check up", get the recall firmware, and hopefully the 72 degree fix.

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:

Just in case, what brand of EVSE did this work with? Known combinations, so to speak, that do work. Amount of time between depressions of button?

Clipper Creek LCS-25. I would wait a few seconds between button depresses. Today (after being fully charged) it did seem to want a third button press though.

I brought my car in last week for the HV battery recall. I just charged the car tonight and waited until charging stopped until I tried to remove the plug. I pressed the switch numerous times, sometimes waiting a few seconds in between presses, sometimes not. I tried two presses - nothing. I tried three presses - nothing. In short, nothing worked - the plug lock solenoid in the vehicle inlet did not retract. This "fix" doesn't work on my car. I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40P. I wonder if I really got the software update or it the update really changes anything? Puzzling.

f1geek said:
I brought my car in last week for the HV battery recall. I just charged the car tonight and waited until charging stopped until I tried to remove the plug. I pressed the switch numerous times, sometimes waiting a few seconds in between presses, sometimes not. I tried two presses - nothing. I tried three presses - nothing. In short, nothing worked - the plug lock solenoid in the vehicle inlet did not retract. This "fix" doesn't work on my car. I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40P. I wonder if I really got the software update or it the update really changes anything? Puzzling.

I went through the same exercise with my 2015 SEL after getting the update with no luck. I have a Leviton EVB32-M8L Evr-Green 320 charger.

f1geek said:

FYI you may need to depress and pull more than once. I needed 3 tries again to remove the handle this afternoon.

I tried as many as three times, pushing the J1772 plug button and pulling on the plug handle. Since the e-Golf vehicle inlet solenoid did not retract, the plug lock could not disengage from the vehicle inlet. I suspect if I pulled with my entire body weight I may have been able to remove the plug (maybe even cracking the locking lever on the plug), but I didn't want to risk damaging anything.

f1geek said:
I tried as many as three times, pushing the J1772 plug button and pulling on the plug handle. Since the e-Golf vehicle inlet solenoid did not retract, the plug lock could not disengage from the vehicle inlet. I suspect if I pulled with my entire body weight I may have been able to remove the plug (maybe even cracking the locking lever on the plug), but I didn't want to risk damaging anything.
Exactly my experience, post-recall/update.

Back