Charger Port Lock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
f1geek said:
I tried as many as three times, pushing the J1772 plug button and pulling on the plug handle. Since the e-Golf vehicle inlet solenoid did not retract, the plug lock could not disengage from the vehicle inlet. I suspect if I pulled with my entire body weight I may have been able to remove the plug (maybe even cracking the locking lever on the plug), but I didn't want to risk damaging anything.

Brand and model of EVSE you noted does not unlock?

The EVSE doesn't matter (it is a Clipper Creek HCS40-P at home) as the solenoid that locks the plug is in the vehicle inlet.

This has happened with public chargepoint plugs and my Delphi trickle charger, too. It is possible that some brands of J1772 plug may allow you to pull out the plug but they really shouldn't as the plug design is part of the J1772 standard, I believe. When I've used a public station with a broken plug locking level (the external part that moves when you press the button), the plug, of course, can be removed at any time.

f1geek said:
The EVSE doesn't matter (it is a Clipper Creek HCS40-P at home) as the solenoid that locks the plug is in the vehicle inlet.

This has happened with public chargepoint plugs and my Delphi trickle charger, too. It is possible that some brands of J1772 plug may allow you to pull out the plug but they really shouldn't as the plug design is part of the J1772 standard, I believe. When I've used a public station with a broken plug locking level (the external part that moves when you press the button), the plug, of course, can be removed at any time.

You need to ask your Volkwagen dealership about Clipper Creek HCS40 and timed charging adaptation also, for a update setting.

I had my recall reflash performed 3-29-16 at Antelope Valley VW. There is no change to the operational locking characteristics of my charge port with a Juice Box 40 Pro. The solenoid stays locked after finishing charging. Just another point of reference.

I had a chance to test the behavior of my 2016 SE eGolf in the face of proximity transitions.

I was using an EVSE that had a broken latch and also had an ammeter. The latching end had been physically broken off, but the proximity button still works. Because of that, I was able to both push the proximity button and remove the plug regardless of the state of the car's locking solenoid.

In short, proximity transitions while the latch is locked are ignored by the car. I can push the button multiple times and the indicator light still continues to fade on and off. Yanking the plug out WITH THE BUTTON HELD DOWN yields a nice big spark.

No me gusta.

nsayer said:
I had a chance to test the behavior of my 2016 SE eGolf in the face of proximity transitions. ... Yanking the plug out WITH THE BUTTON HELD DOWN yields a nice big spark.
Your emphasis of the button state seems to imply that either there is a different result if the button is NOT held down, or you didn't check that condition. Was it one of those?

His emphasis is there because pushing the button should cause the on-board charger to stop drawing current within a specified time limit. The e-Golf is clearly not observing this part of the J1772 standard. If the latch was broken, any car would make a big spark if you yanked the handle fast enough without pushing the button. If you pull it out slower, the proximity pin should open before the current carrying pins and the charger should also quickly stop drawing current to avoid sparks.

I think this should be brought to the attention of the NHTSA. I have asked VW numerous times to implement the J1772 protocol but they have repeatedly refused. Here we have proof that this is a dangerous situation. Maybe the feds can convince them. Would you mind filing a complaint at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ .

I believe several complaints about the motor shutdown led to the safety recall, so the US government is taking these complaints seriously.

f1geek said:
I think this should be brought to the attention of the NHTSA. I have asked VW numerous times to implement the J1772 protocol but they have repeatedly refused. Here we have proof that this is a dangerous situation. Maybe the feds can convince them. Would you mind filing a complaint at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ .

I believe several complaints about the motor shutdown led to the safety recall, so the US government is taking these complaints seriously.
nsayer should edit that to 2016 SEL, the 2016 SE doesn't have a charger lock.

forbin404 said:
f1geek said:

Maybe he has the Quick Charge Option on his car...

miimura said:
forbin404 said:
Maybe he has the Quick Charge Option on his car...

If he does, dang he bought it 1 month before it came out..haha
And his signature says SEL.

I do have the quick charger option, which was only available in the more expensive trim, whatever that was called.

Back