Cupholders don't work with Cans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forbin404

Just a thing I noticed with the cupholders with the 3 grabber 'arms'

If you put in a cup from say 'McDonalds', it works fine.
If you put in a full can of 'Coke' it's fine.

When that can get to 1/2 full, all of a sudden the arms squeeze the can and the force you need to remove it all of a sudden is so much the can spills when you finally get it out.

Just a little weird thing I noticed.

That's because you either didn't read the owners manual which specifies the official can-removal procedure, and/or you're not using a VW-approved can! :lol:

On a serious note, while I have noticed this with cans, it's more of a problem with partially-full bottles of water. For both cost and environmental reasons, the beverage companies are using thinner aluminum/plastic for these containers. Only difference is that water bottles usually have caps so you don't spill the contents.

RonDawg said:
That's because you either didn't read the owners manual which specifies the official can-removal procedure, and/or you're not using a VW-approved can! :lol:
That darn manual! I should've read the part where VW warns that you shouldn't drink any liquids while driving!

forbin404 said:
RonDawg said:
That darn manual! I should've read the part where VW warns that you shouldn't drink any liquids while driving!

yes, you might throw it on the passenger seat with the cap loose, fry the seat belt warning device, and blame VW for it when it's not covered under warranty, the water bottle and cap leaked. Or you left the cover off the 12v plug in power supply, spill and short it out and blow a fuse.

JoulesThief said:
yes, you might throw it on the passenger seat with the cap loose, fry the seat belt warning device, and blame VW for it when it's not covered under warranty, the water bottle and cap leaked. Or you left the cover off the 12v plug in power supply, spill and short it out and blow a fuse.
Well that highlights just an stupid design flaw like the mode switch and the on/off. A Power Plug located positioned downwards next to a liquid source.

All other cars keep their power forward instead of downwards.

forbin404 said:
JoulesThief said:
Well that highlights just an stupid design flaw like the mode switch and the on/off. A Power Plug located positioned downwards next to a liquid source.

All other cars keep their power forward instead of downwards.

And you've designed just how many interiors of cars in your life? Or are you still a student. Utopia only exists in professors and students minds. Get out there working in the real world... and remember, those that can, do, those that can't, teach.

Your error is in forgetting that it is a cup holder, not a can holder. It's designed to hold cups, nothing more, nothing less, you are using it outside it's scope of design. Go put a McDonalds or Starbucks cup in there, and it works just fine, thank you.

The cup holders fail for several cups I have - the lower part of the cup cannot be tapered, and it has to be long enough to touch the bottom. Otherwise it tips over, or even pops out and tips over. :x

JoulesThief said:
And you've designed just how many interiors of cars in your life? Or are you still a student. Utopia only exists in professors and students minds. Get out there working in the real world... and remember, those that can, do, those that can't, teach.

Your error is in forgetting that it is a cup holder, not a can holder. It's designed to hold cups, nothing more, nothing less, you are using it outside it's scope of design. Go put a McDonalds or Starbucks cup in there, and it works just fine, thank you.

Don't get on your 'I'm better than thou' high horse there Joules. I said that can's don't fit. I didn't say anything that it was done 'wrong' I said it was weird.

But putting a power source in line with a liquid source? That's plain stupid. Nothing has to do with Car design, that's like putting an outlet into the counter face down, eventually the liquid will reach it and POOF.

Stupid Car design is putting in a way to defeat emissions testing and not thinking that SOMEONE might notice one day....oh yeah , VW did that too...with all their engineers who probably aren't students. And it was just released that the Gas versions of the cars do this as well...VW might be having a bad decade.

forbin404 said:
JoulesThief said:

Don't get on your 'I'm better than thou' high horse there Joules. I said that can's don't fit. I didn't say anything that it was done 'wrong' I said it was weird.

But putting a power source in line with a liquid source? That's plain stupid. Nothing has to do with Car design, that's like putting an outlet into the counter face down, eventually the liquid will reach it and POOF.

Stupid Car design is putting in a way to defeat emissions testing and not thinking that SOMEONE might notice one day....oh yeah , VW did that too...with all their engineers who probably aren't students. And it was just released that the Gas versions of the cars do this as well...VW might be having a bad decade.

Yeah, how come CARB didn't find it sooner? VW has sold clean diesel TDI's since 2008, when the 2009 models were released. And it's not just VW, MB is under scrutiny also. But with Trump elected, to be competitive world wide, portions of the EPA might have their budget curtailed, or rolled back.

JoulesThief said:
Yeah, how come CARB didn't find it sooner? VW has sold clean diesel TDI's since 2008, when the 2009 models were released. And it's not just VW, MB is under scrutiny also. But with Trump elected, to be competitive world wide, portions of the EPA might have their budget curtailed, or rolled back.
It wasn't CARB who found it, it was a little watchdog group called ICCT

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34519184

Back